1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Taylor deal turned down by Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TBar, Dec 29, 2004.

1. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Deuce - You are correct, those were Laydens choices. JVG was a lowly peon back then just happy having his first coaching gig in the NBA. Now that he is a rock star coach I'm sure he has much more influence on the personnel decisions. CD reminds me of Scott Layden, terrible judge of talent, bad negotiator and ineffective at putting together a winning team, took years before the Dolan's canned him.

2. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

Give JVG a break, no one that was over 35 was available in any of those drafts.:rolleyes:

3. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

Let's face it. We are still rebuilding. The general concensus was that, while Steve Francis was a great player, he wasn't the right player. So we traded him, and made probably the only trade we could at that time to get another player as good. Unfortunately, we had to give up some really good players to make the deal work. Now we are still trying to find other pieces to fit around them. I'm sure this isn't the team CD or JVG really want, it's just what they can get right now.

I thought all along the team would start slow this year and finish strong. I'll be happy if we just make the playoffs again this year and win a couple of games.

The roster isn't final. Just wait a little longer.

4. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Oops, Ernie Grunfeld was the GM before 1999 so some of the choices were his.

5. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

This IMO is the final word on the subject. But I can put even a little more "bite" into it.

Trading away the pick now minimizes the Rockets ability to:

A) participate in Feb. trade deadline blockbusters and/or "Fire Sales".

B) make full use of the TE exception werein we balance out a trade or send a pick to another team for a player they want to remove from their roster.

PJ's only slightly cheaper than Mo and much older. The Rockets are not a full-bore fastbreak team, but they are a really good transtion team. IMHO, Jim Jackson stopping at the 3 point arc decreased the effectiveness of the transition O. PJ is slower than Juwan, Mo, and JJ.....not worth it for a few extra boards.

6. rich_argh

rich_argh Member

the wesley-jackson deal may make us question if CD is sane

but the fact that he turned down the taylor deal assures that CD is stilll sane and has some smarts, i am sure he will pull something clever with the next move

7. MykTek

MykTek Member

we should have made that trade, JVG can't develop a player if his life dependent on it.... i don't remember 1 serviceable player he drafted....here or in NY....lol

8. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Stop making sense. :mad:

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Ok you know what, you make sense. We could definetely get a lot better than PJ Brown in february especially with our TE and 1st round pick combo.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not that I disagree with you, because getting rid of MO for nothing would be better, imo, then getting back PJ Brown, who is completely unispiring...

BUT, don't count your chickens before they hatch. There is a very very very strong possibility the Rockets do something more confusing come February.

11. yellaman

yellaman Member

If i were to trade any pf it would be howard because his deal runs through 2009....thats 5 more seasons, and he's not going to get any better. Taylor just had 2 more seasons on his deal. Juwan and a future #1 for PJ and id do it.

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

juwan and mo's contracts are similiar in total. meaning juwan's contract is easier on the salary cap. juwan still has the better contract for a club to have.

13. drpepper

drpepper Member

No way I'd of done that trade. Good for you CD. I want Taylor moved, but not the expense of a 1st rounder. This trade gets us nowhere, cause Brown is very limited skill wise and just as expensive.

14. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

If you post more I promise to put you on my next year's Christmas gift list.

;)