1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Taylor deal turned down by Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TBar, Dec 29, 2004.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

So DD, if the Rockets traded their 1st round pick and Mo for PJ Brown, you would have been OK with that? You wouldn't have started a thread saying how horrible it is that we traded another 1st round pick for PJ Brown? Seriously? Be honest.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Actually Ima,

I would have hoped that the Rockets would have countered and offerered a lottery protected first round pick in the next 5 years.

DD

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

First of all, Boki played extensively in the summer league and sucked extensively. He was playing against scrubs and rookies and just horrific. He did get some minutes this season, and accumulated about half the number of fouls T-Mac has despite playing much fewer than half the number of minutes.

4. DaDakota

Boki is not a player whom is going to ever be the focal point of an offense, BUT he can become the 2nd or 3rd option.

Comparing his play in the summer leagues when he was 19 and 20 years old is just plain ignorant.

DD

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

So, if summer league and training camp play when they are playing against rookies, FA's, and scrubs is the criteria along with the number of fouls committed,

then why is MoT still on this team Mr. Clutch?

6. Mr. Clutch

Okay, how about this past summer, when he played like an ignorant basketball player?

7. Mr. Clutch

His contract.

8. DaDakota

Where, exactly was that? As there was no summer leagues this past summer.

Or are you refering to his play this season when he was leading the Rockets in 3 pt shooting?

DD

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

You think? NO would have taken him. His contract ain't keeping him here any more than Boki. If Van Gundy had wanted him out of here as bad as he wanted Boki out of here it would have been done already.

10. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

He might be referring to "Boki Time" aka the Preseason. He used to be the MVP of Summer Campa nd preseason but this year he sucked horribly.

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Look, we aren't challenging for a title this year. There is no missing piece that will fix that. Getting PJ Brown, if it meant giving up a first round pick, would have been a dumb move considering PJ's contract and the fact that we aren't trying to contend now.

The deal they made seemed crazy, but dealing Mo and another first round pick just to add a guy like PJ who is older, less of a scorer, has a big contract AND doesn't make us substantially better is a bad move.

12. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

We aren't challenging for a title this year because of Jeff Van Grumpy's evil & ridiculous coaching style.:)

13. LAM

LAM Member

I just looked at the Rockets' salary situation on some other websites...seems like the year that we should really be waiting and hoping for is the 2007/2008 season. That's the year that almost everybody will be off the books including MoT. Of course we should still have Yao and TMac is signed up way beyond that year.

I must be so jaded by the Rockets management moves to make that year the only thing to look forward to as far as their real step towards any type of championship contention. Am I hoping for this current unit to gel and starting contending sooner rather then never? Sure. Am I hoping for CD and JVG to actually make moves that will make the Rockets substantially better and maybe younger? Sure. I mean, David Wesley and Jon Barry may inject some life into the Rox, but the consensus is that they aren't gonna affect the bottomline W/L stat that much. Am I hoping that they actually draft a player in the near future that they will play and use in the rotation? Sure. I mean, if Rashard Lewis, Emanuel Ginobili, and Tayshaun Prince can be drafted in the lower picks and find significant roles in their respective teams, then what's the Rox's problem?

I wonder if CD and JVG look at games like when the Milwaukee Bucks spanked us that they think aloud the same thought: "What were we thinking when we put this team together?"

Sorry for the Pete Vescey type rant. Just needed to get it out.

14. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I do not think the trade itself had any merit other than to get rid of Mo's contract. No deal that I can imagine involving Mo Taylor is going to give us a young power forward to complement Juwan and help bang for Yao Ming.

My expectaions are extremely low for talent exchange for Mo or for dealing that horrible contract. If we could do something to get rid of that contract it would help the team. Or stand pat and patiently wait 2 more years after this season at nearly 10 mil per year and have the weakest power forward combo in the NBA.

Then we did good passing on the trade.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would have welcomed P.J. and believe it would have been a good deal.That said,I gather that CD will use that first rounder,along with Taylor,to get us more later.We are building a champion and need not jump at the first trade out there.I'm confident we will eventually get our PF.

16. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

damn wow, i am so split over this

getting rid of Mo would be a really big wish for me, probably more than the rockets winning the title this season

however now that we have Spoons and Wesley's contracts expiring after next season it almost makes me want to go all in a try to hold out for something that exipres this season or next so we can add some really talent around our studs in the future rather than our current bunch of over the hill supporting cast

pj would be nice and would probably make us better but would he really help us win a title

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Jeff I couldn't agree more. We aren't trying to content now. Just hold down the fort. I just hope this team continues to BUILD with the idea of contending in the future. And BUILDING means getting young players to grow with the team and not older, aging players that are hired guns. I hope we can do that. But I wonder if JVG has the patience for that kind of process. So far he (and CD) hasnt shown me any indication that he is willing to build for the long haul other than making the TMac deal. We started this process of "reaching for the sky" with that trade. Now we have to finish it with surrounding Tmac and Yao with young, athletic role players that can grow with our stars for the future.
    Good luck CD, we're all counting on you!

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

As Smeg just said, worth noting that Spoon and Wesley's contracts expire after next season to the combined tune of $11.4M! That's a lot of expiring contract money right there. They should be in play this summer and before the trading deadline next season. It's just too bad that Mo's contract doesnt end then as well, it will have one more year.

19. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

OK DD, I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt with most of your pro-Boki arguments, but claiming that he could become a 2nd or 3rd option is crazy. Nachbar could barely scratch the surface of garbage time for 3 straight years. He couldn't beat out the likes of Padgett, Bowen and a washed up Rice to name a few. I'll give you that he's young and could develop into a nice role player, but he has shown no signs of becoming the 2nd or 3rd option on any team with legitimate playoff aspirations.

20. DaDakota

Pimp,

How old is Boki? 22, 23? The guy is a baby, and has played only 2 years in the NBA, this is his 3rd, get your facts straight.

He may or may not develop, but my entire point is that we toss him away before giving him a chance to develop.

We have been throwing young developing players away like crazy these last few years.

KT, Posey, Boki, EG...etc..etc..etc...

How are we going to get a young Horry, or Cassel etc..etc..etc. if we don't let them play?

Boki has talent, and IMHO he will develop into a fine NBA player, all he needs is playing time.

How anyone can say he has not done squat for us therefore he is no good, is crazy, the guy has had ZERO opportunity.

Jermaine O'neal anyone??????

DD