1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Taxes] The poor pay much higher tax rates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by GladiatoRowdy, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I don't think that's a true statement. There is one party against almost any spending, including for education and infrastructure. There is even one part of a party that want to remove public education.

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Of course I do. It's my life. Don't you care more about your selfish gains than the good of American society?

3. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

I voted for Obama the first time solely because of his tax plan vs McCain's and it was enacted.

[​IMG]

Can we also stop making the progressive income tax rates seem unfair? The first $20k a rich person earns is taxed at the same rate as a poor person.

4. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Long term commodity prices routinely go through these supply demand cycles.
    A spike in demand shoots up prices, investment into new production and technology begins and takes a number of years to come online.

Then the supply side increases substantially and prices decline.

Most the Green Government Funded projects are more in it for the other green (Money) through huge tax burdens on the poor to subsidize a few crony capitalists.

Every American pays a higher power bill because of mandates of alternative energy and mandates like ethanol in gas.

This is government crony politics increasing the costs on all Americans and the poor get disproportionately hurt.

I really don't understand how people that are so for the American poor and middle class don't see the 'tax' these liberal ideas inflict on people.

We focus so much on the earnings side, but limiting government involvement in business has virtually always brought more competition and greater products and services to the people.

5. Remii

Remii Member

I mentioned your ideas as acts of civil war and now you bring up France as an example and they were on the verge of civil war during the time you speak of (and there was violence). People as a whole aren't that bad off or desperate at this point to do what you speak of.

I haven't resigned myself... I just don't believe enough people would come together for your idea.

I do think there are little things we can do as individuals that's along the lines you speak ot though.

6. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

How's that working out then? The rich are still getting richer, the poor are still getting poorer, BP was able to dodge a hefty chunk of the fines they received for the Gulf spill, healthcare reform has mainly just been a giant subsidy for the insurance industry, the people responsible for the financial crisis in 08 have not only not been punished or regulated, but are actually still in charge of the economy, are part of Obama's cabinet and in charge of the toothless regulation Obama passed -- I mean, I could keep going on. Should I even mention the Patriot Act or foreign policy.

I never said my ideas were not civil war and would not include violence, I was just saying there was more to it than that.

I actually agree with all three of these lines, so, I mean, I guess we are largely in agreement about the facts, but disagree on how best to handle said facts.

7. Remii

Remii Member

I didn't say I disagree with your idea... Because that would be the fastest way to get the government to implement changes that are actually for the people. I just don't think enough people would participate... But at least you're offering suggestions for a solution.

I believe some of these super stores hurt the middle class and under. Stores like Wal-Mart make money hand over fist but they keep many of their employees as part time workers so they can't get full time benefits and despite all the money Wal-Mart makes many of their employees are on government assistance because they pay them at a cheap rate... And to top it off Wal-Mart gets to exercise the slick tax breaks that the government put in place and they smothered the mom and pop businesses in the process. I'm one to believe that's counterproductive for the middle class and under because people spend their money with them and then tax dollars have to be used to help support their employees. But yet people keep feeding the beast so these super rich companies can keep pulling the strings of the politicians. Watching who we spend our money with and supporting small businesses could help fight these super power companies who are getting away with murder.

People being slaves to their credit cards and having terrible spending habits helps feed the beast as well. Many middle class and under live check to check because they have a bad case of trying to keep up with the Joneses.

My suggestions are just baby steps but would probably be difficult steps for people to take.

8. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

What a surprise - none of the liberals even addressed this post. That's because Bob hit the nail on the head. There are no good economic reasons for a high minimum wage and/or rent controls.

9. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

No, I don't. I would willingly pay higher taxes along with everyone else if it meant a balanced budget, more infrastructure spending, and more education spending. I give a f*** about my fellow Americans, you choose to indulge in one of the Seven Deadly Sins.

10. GladiatoRowdy

Higher minimum wages lead to higher rates of job growth. Your decision to ignore the facts doesn't make them any less factual.

http://www.cepr.net/index.php/blogs...eation-in-states-that-raised-the-minimum-wage

11. Faust

Faust Member

i cant believe im agreeing with a lefty on this. but too many conservatives today care only about themselves. my brother's factory laid him off. it was run by a very conservative family from the 1940s. they were tough but fair. they cared about their workers. they hated unions but paid good money and vacations and gave to charity and never open on sundays. they supported the community, military, and our church.

the kid who inherited the place got himself a fancy business degree. everyone said he was a selfish prick who only cared about himself. sold the business to some chinese investors who dont give a **** about america. i think that kid is like too many republicans. me, me, me like a bunch of kids.

12. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You're easily offended by facts. Not surprising as conservatives tend to refute facts with anecdotal stories. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who says raising the minimum wage sucks. Well, there you have it!

#73 CometsWin, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  14. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

About as I expected. The tax reform then a weird compromised version of healthcare reform were passed then he fizzled out (shocker :rolleyes:). Do you think that John McCain would have been more effective at those items you listed because I don't? I think we may have doubled down in Iraq/Afghanistan...

Anyone who thinks Democrat or Republican is going to work for them and get all of our preferred legislation passed is dreaming in the 2000s in my opinion.

The only time significant legislation will be passed is right after a new president is elected or there is an imminent crisis (9/11, housing crisis, too big to fail, etc.). So I vote for the candidate with the 2-3 best big ideas because the rest is just noise and nothing significant will get done in years 3-8 anyway.

15. GladiatoRowdy

If you look at the literature, it is far more than one study. This same conclusion has been reached in every study I have seen since the 1970s. I presented a representative, recent example. I would be happy to consider a study which finds contrary conclusions, should you have one to cite. I await your citation with bated breath. :rolleyes:

16. GladiatoRowdy

The funny part is that he didn't even provide an anecdote, he just insulted me and ignored the facts. Par for the course for conservatives these days.

17. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Except they aren't facts. Did you even read the article you posted? The author states that your conclusion "higher minimum wages lead to higher rates of job growth." can't be determined based on the article.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the author makes this disclaimer b/c he recognizes that his sample size is small (13 states), the states had varying degrees of increases, one of the states actually had an employment loss, and he was using a short time frame (6 months).

18. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I chose to mind my own business, further my education, sharpen my skills and become more productive each day of my life. If that is a sin, so be it. BTW, you can pay higher taxes any time you'd like to reduce the debt.

19. GladiatoRowdy

I choose to do those things as well and none of it is a sin. In order for us to balance the budget, we will ALL need to pay higher taxes, it won't do any good if those of us able to suppress our greed do it, we need higher taxes in aggregate to eliminate the deficit and begin to reduce the debt.

20. GladiatoRowdy

I completely agree that causality isn't established here, but it is very clear that Republican claims that minimum wage hikes cause reduced employment is a bunch of hooey. The evidence we have tells us that raising the minimum wage does not negatively impact employment rates and if there is a relationship between the two variables, it is in the positive direction, with increased minimum wages being correlated with increased employment.

But reaching such a conclusion would actually require you to think about the study, not exactly your strength, apparently.

Care to reach into the literature and cite a study linking minimum wage hikes to lower employment? Didn't think so.