1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tax Question about filing as a dependent or not

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by x3ldonx, Jan 18, 2010.

1. x3ldonx

x3ldonx Member

So I am sure I can search online for some of this stuff, but I figured I can get some good feedback from some of you guys.

Every year since I began working I have filed as a dependent and don't get a huge income tax return. I only do it this way because I am a dependent living under my parents home and everything is provided for me.

So this year times are rough my father has left his job(long story short: he was literally getting sick from all the stress being the operations manager at a worldwide import/export company) and I was fired for stupid crap that I obviously don't agree with, but oh well enough of that.

My father asked if I was going to file as a dependent this year and I told him, "Of course I do every year". This time though he asked for me to file as independent, assuming I will receive more compared to what I normally get and I can give him the money to pay off for certain bills. Is it possible for me to do this, do I have to show proof of my home or expenses on food and all? He says if I do he will not claim me as a dependent.

So my question can I claim my self as independent despite the fact that I am living under my parents home?

Thanks in advance for your input.

2. x3ldonx

x3ldonx Member

and by the way I plan on filing as dependent on Fafsa, I am a full time college student.

3. FrancisFan

FrancisFan Contributing Member

FASFA has it's own definition of dependant/independant.

I'm guessing your total wages wasn't high enough to make a huge difference either way. Given that your dad didn't work all year he may qualify for EIC, in which case that would probably yield more money.

Without looking at real numbers and knowing more details, I probably wouldn't listen to anyone online since it's all determinate on the exact numbers....

4. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

If someone supplies you with 50% if your expenses, they can elect to claim you as a dependent.

If they do not, you can claim yourself.

Just make sure you don't get claimed twice.

5. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

This.