1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tasered!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BlastOff, Nov 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

UCLA Student Tasered

Dang, that's gotta hurt. Some people need to learn that cooperation is essential when dealing with the people. They are licensed to hurt or even kill you.

2. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Uh, police. :eek:

3. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

thats insane

5. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Why didn't the guy just stand up? Geez, they must have told him 50 times. He got his.

Gotta love the stupid PATRIOT Act comment. I guess that's the new race card to play... Bottom line is that the guy didn't cooperate, despite repeated requests. If you don't cooperate with the police, and tie up their time with your selfishness, you get tased. Pretty simple, really. He deserved it. Hopefully he gets expelled for such a ridiculous act.

6. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Why didn't the guy just take off his baseball hat? And why did he swing at an officer?

Get got what he deserved. Act stupid and you get hurt. There's no brutality in this case.

7. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

NY,

I'm on the fence about it. Common sense says that you cooperate with the police in general but what they did seemed excessive.

8. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Except that part of what a taser does is disrupt nerve impules making it difficult to stand up or do anything. That's partly the point of using tasers is to subdue someone who is violent to essentially render them partially paralyzed.

The other problem is that the last thing police want to do is to create a scene and part of most officers' physical training is to be able to carry a person either as part of a rescue or to remove a recalcitrant suspect. There were at least two officers there and they could've cuffed his legs and carried him off rather than spending at least six minutes drawing a scene yelling at a suspect who was already partially paralyzed to stand up.

I don't know what this guy did but the officers here acted with very poor judgement that placed themselves in jeopardy by prolonging the arrest and possibly causing a riot that could've spun out of control very fast.

9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Or bit. Or hosed. Or beaten.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I don't know about this kid (Youtube blocked at work), but such a blanket statement is stupid to the extreme... Lack of cooperation? Just cuff the guy and carry him out.

10. NewYorker

I'll give you that, but without full understanding of the situation - it's hard to judge. The guy still appear belligrent and non-cooperative even after getting tasered.

I doubt the police were interested in making a scene with so many witnesses and being excessive. They have to view this person as a threat - the guy did assualt them. And if someone goes after a cop - you better believe there is going to be trouble. No one should ever take that lightly.

11. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

I agree, that's why I don't mouth off to cops...I'll leave that to other folk. You can make a point effectively without it escalating to violence, even if the police are somewhat encouraging it (I've had a few try to bait me a few times).

12. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-cellcamera16nov16,0,4794591.story?coll=la-home-headlines

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Why didn't the cops drag him out, like one holding his arms, the other holding his legs? It would have avoided all the yelling.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Those cops aren't very smart. They are going to get fired even if they were in the right. They were going about it in the wrong way. That kid is going to get some money out of this too.

15. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

I will get ugly. The student is of Middle Eastern descent I think so race will play a part of the ugliness, justifiably or not.

16. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Damnit I'm finally going to the tipjar and soon. Can't type worth a ish! :mad:

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This kid was clearly taunting the cops and he had enough strength to shout after being tasered.

He was hiding behind the ploy of civil disobediance to bring the crowd to his side while resisting the police. He could've been doing something before the camera started and the crowd would have still been on his side. Yet the cops intent was to protect the crowd from the beginning.

A big problem to this story is that the camera only showed the resolution and not the cause. It easily allows people to draw their own conclusions of the matter.

18. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

UCLA Bruin school newspaper: Community responds to Taser use in Powell

Being tasered that many times is excessive. Law enforcement shouldn't tase the subject because of non-compliance, especially after being handcuffed! They already have him in custody, hobble his feet and carry him out.

The article posted above states that he might have been able to get up...

#18 rockHEAD, Nov 16, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2006
  19. NewYorker

Maybe the reason the guy made a scene and resisted cooperation is because he was middle eastern and just jumped to conclusion that it was his race.

Maybe the police just were doing their jobs and asking for an ID from people. All he had to do was produce it. He didn't. He could have cooperated - instead he didn't.

If you practice resistence, that's fine - but then you must be prepared for the response.

20. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

But the response does not have to be excessive.