1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tarik Black vs. Omer Asik preseason stats per 36 min...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I think he meant quitting on the team, not trying - those things.

2. NotChandlerParsons

Actually another Carl Landry sounds friggin' awesome.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Is black the new white Asik???

4. Chamillionaire

Omer > Black

It's not even close IMO.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This tells us Tarik Black has immense potential but he has to prove it over a Regular Season.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Better be. Omer is paid close to top dollar while Black makes minimum and not guaranteed.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Landry was not known for his defensive intensity (more offensive player)

8. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Ehh, Defense is the whole reason Asik is a good NBA player. It is like saying: what does Jordan bring to the game, other than scoring and being the best NBA player ever to play the game:rolleyes: (I am not saying ASik is a good defensivly as Jordan was offensivly, just making a point)

Wow just wow. How is he another LAndry, his game is not at all like Landry. Landry was a good offensive player, Black is a defensive player. Sometimes these comparisments amaze me. It is like saying that Ish smith is like another Steve Kerr.

That being said I really like Black as a player, and would hate it if he did not make the team. I always love these strong physical PF/C who work extremely hard (Like Ben Wallace).

1 person likes this.
  9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The plus minus for these two so far is:

Omer: +46 (+7.7 per game)
    Black: +18 (+3.6 per game)

Had Dwight Howard played against New Orleans, I guarantee these numbers would look more similar. Black is no Asik, but Asik was a duplicate and hated being a backup. Tarik would absolutely love to be a backup because that means he's in the NBA. I believe desire makes you a better ball player and both these guys should be able to impact their teams in great ways.

Great thread, OP.

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Fixed.

11. val_modus

val_modus Member

This. His presence alone warrants a slight adjustment in game planning for opposing slashers and big men. Although I do enjoy having a center that doesn't have butterfingers.

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

off the bench? he would start at PF for us.

13. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

trade dwight for omer
    sign black 3yr/30m
    move harden to pg
    trade troy, dmo and canaan for mayo (24pts, 6 threes tonight)

harden/bev
    ariza/mayo
    kostas/garcia
    black/jones
    asik/jones

lottery!

14. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

People mentioning the non-stat things Asik did. And he did. But seriously who isn't noticing Black changing lots of shots this preseason? I've seen many many times where Black changed someone shot, took away just enough space, or straight up scared them / intimidated them.

Also, what is the turnover rate per 36 minutes? Cause if you're going to talk about Asik's strengths, you gotta talk about his huge weakness. The dude was butterfingers galore. I've already seen many plays where they alley-oop to Black or quickly dish it off and he's able to catch and finish. Asik would miff those more times than not, and he would miss easy buckets in the most beautiful, glorious fashion.

Black is also very smart as an individual, which translates with his basketball IQ. He seems calm and does the right thing. How many times did you see big O do something worthy of a "DOH!"?

15. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

To me it clear Asik is the better center than Black. However Asik did not want to be a bench player, and Black is. I do like a motivated Black better than a unmotivated Asik.

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Asik played 48 games last year, 19 as a starter, 7 early on where the twin towers cost us one, maybe 2 games, then his sulking at being a backup and not trying at all cost us 2 games in the next 3 (he didn't try against philly or dallas), in that entire first stanza of games, the only one where he made a positive influence was Memphis.

Then he didn't play for the next 32 games, then he came back, and was useless and unfit for the first month, then he gave us 6 decent bench games (yes he gave us 7 decent bench games total for the entire season), then he replaced Dwight for 12 games where we won the first 4 by a combined 80 points because they were tanking (the easiest stretch of our entire season), and then went 3-5, and then he went back to scrubbing it up on the bench.

So while sure he's a talented player, he provided to very little for us last year, there's a solid case for saying he cost us more regular season games (thru trying twin tower and his sulking) than he helped us win, this wasn't 2012-13 Asik, this was a cancerous douchebag cashing his paycheck.

#36 Aleron, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  17. rocketsmetalspd

The first two will be reality. Terry over Lin because leadership and experience. Terry is like a coach out there getting players to focus, unlike Lin who needs to be told what to do and even then seems to mess up.

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Asik is probably at top 3 defensive center. That being said, you can run black at the 4 with Howard because he isn't useless on offense.

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

A 6'9" Chuck Hayes would be awesome. I still don't know how well he moves his feet in 1 on 1 situations yet.

20. ribbit

ribbit Member

Tarik "6 fouls" Black