1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Targeting a quality, young, defensive C

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Dec 30, 2010.

1. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

What is the hold up on Thabeet? Does he just suck? 7'3" 265? I expected some of Dikembe Mutumbo type already, with distant high hopes of an even half an Olajuwon offensive threat.

Get him to Houston, Dream and Deke as mentors! Just what we need though, another too tall foreigner to play center :)

2. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Just because Aldrich went to d-league and isnt getting getting time with OKC does not mean they will trade him. They picked him because they needed defensive help down low and they ae trying to groom him into that role. He is a part of their long term plans. He is not untouchable but wont come cheap.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Terrible BB IQ. Lots of "potential" but to me is much like Stromile. I would pass on Thabeet unless the price is way low.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like Sander, he's really raw but has enormous potential. Plus he plays behind Bogut so I wouldn't be surprised if Milwaukee would be willing to part with him for the right trade.

5. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

How about trading Patterson for Robin Lopez straight up?

Phoenix looks like they have the biggest need at the PF spot, and that's where we happen to have the biggest log jam. Channing Frye can still play backup C to Gortat, and Patterson could very well be a solid PF for them.

I know Patterson has only had one game to prove himself, but maybe a few more will solidify his worth. Seems like a fair trade for both sides. Both are really young with a lot of potential upside. Patterson was the 14th pick, Lopez the 15th.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Sheesh!

7. Sandman

Sandman Member

I wouldn't mind going with this, need should be a higher concern than talent at this point. Not sure if Phoenix has seen enough of Patterson to make this trade, though. I think Hill for Lopez would be a more realistic scenario.

8. anchel

anchel Member

Another proposal, a trade for Marc Gasol. Having in mind he's FA this summer, I don't think we would have to give that much. They don't count with Randolph for their future plans, could be interested in Jordan Hill. Jordan Hill + a pick + maybe Lee-Chase should be enough. Then we have Gasol's bird rights and can retain him this summer.

About his utility in this team, there should be no doubts. He's a great high-post player, can really read the offense and pass the ball. He's a legit 7 footer on the other side, he's tough and can contest shots. Good low post defender (not that good outside the paint). Can also score. Still 25 y.o., most of bigs reach their ceiling at 28-30, so he's has to improve, still.

9. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

M. Gasol is one of the few centers that can flourish when played in a system...miracle is needed in obtaining him.

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Marc would be great in our high post offense, but the Grizz have already stated they plan on keeping Marc. Who knows if that will change over the course of the season and offseason, but good competent centers are at a premium.

11. seeingred

seeingred Member

i'm not going to dig through the annals of history, but i can't remember many teams in the playoff hunt ever trading their starting bigs for expirings and rookies at the trade deadline. As much as i'd like Gasol, memphis would have to nose dive out of contention asap for him to available. even the magic trading their backup C is unusual and it only happened because he plays behind the best center in the game.

as far as "tall guys on bad teams", some of the names you all mentioned are verejao, blatche/mcgee, and jason thompson.

some others i think are realistoc and on the cheap are: tyrus thomas, yi jianlian, nikola pekovic, kosta koufos, jason thompson.

none of those names excite me much (tyrus thomas could be interesting) but i think they are far more realistic choices. i just don't see many teams willing to trade quality big men unless they are totally out of the playoff race.

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

This also sheds some light on who we may be targeting for a center. I suggested earlier in this thread that maybe in addition to age and defensive rating, fit should be a consideration as well. Assuming that we keep Scola as our starting 4, then a center capable and adept at passing could be what we are after. Looking at a minimum assist% stat could help us weed through the candidates.

Of the centers I like this would instantly vault Marc Gasol 12.3 ast% and Nene 11.6 ast%(surprising) to the top of the list. Even Varejao is respectable at 7.6 ast%.

Obviously beggars can't be choosers, and ANY type of center is our biggest need right now. But as long as we are looking around, it would be interesting to see how other centers stack up in assist%, as a gauge of their passing ability, and how they might fit our high post offense.

13. anchel

anchel Member

It's not likely. But he's not having a good season. It is possbile that they don't want to overpay him this summer, still have Thabeet. They would get Hill as a PF project, a pick, and something more. Hayes, Buddy... I don't know. But this is supposing that they are not willing to pay him $45-60 millions for 5 years, the quantity that some team will offer him.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Marcus Camby would be another name. It would take a lot for Portland to give him up to a conference rival, though. More than Morey would be willing to give up, I bet.

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Those Sacramento teams were a beautiful thing to watch. Vlade and Webber rotating from high to low post, both guys were effective in the high post and both guys could go down low.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Portland is about to go young. If the Rockets wanted him, they have the young guys to get him. Granted, the Rockets should be/are doing the same.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

I was thinking most of the suggestions here fall on two categories:

1) Old Vets/guys with large contracts like Marcus Camby, Okafor, Haywood etc.

2) Raw guys with a lot of potential like Thabeet, Mcgee etc.

Why not get a guy who has both potential and production? The logical choice would be Marc Gasol, but he's pretty much untouchable at this point. What about Tiago Splitter though? Although regarded as one of the best defensive centers not in the NBA, he's basically been benched in favor of Blair (who has been beasting since day 1). Splitter's stats are far from eye-popping...but that's because he gets around 11 minutes of PT a game. Give him around 20 mins of PT and he'll be our Anderson Varajao...except without the floppy hair. I see him blowing up in a couple of years the same way Marc Gasol did in his 2nd year.

Right now the Spurs have two young C's but no Duncan successor...in the same way that we have two young PFs but no Yao Ming successor. Why not trade Hill or PP for Splitter with C-bud as a sweetener?

18. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Splitter is Hill without the experience. Having guys with potential is great. Our hole at C is largely not one of potential. Splitter is not as NBA-ready as McGee, for example.

19. thejav

thejav Member

DeAndre Jordan for jordan hill

getter done morey

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You nailed it.

If and when we get a starting center to go with Adelman, it will be a damn versatile one, imo.

I think that is why they like Marcin Gortat so much. Good potential as a high post passer.

Marcin Gortat
    Marc Gasol
    Al Horford
    Nene Hilario

Are younger "smart" centers that we could build around and that also fit our style, (Princeton).

Ronny Turiaf
    Spencer Hawes
    Nikola Pekovic

Are the other (Lower level) guys I could see them being interested in.