1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tank Revisited - the situation has changed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Jun 30, 2012.

1. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Ditto!

2. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

that's ironic, because we had a 40 win team when we won the championship :p

3. tzou88

tzou88 Member

I'd love to see a starting lineup of Dragic, Lamb, Morris, White, Montie... I think that'd be fun as hell to watch.

4. amaru

amaru Member

If they manage that in their first season, then we are well our way.

5. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I disagree, please hear me out.

Until the end of last season we had a great team. No we didn't have any stars but we were a 5th seed who had beat OKC twice, once on their home floor. Dragic (the back up we got for Aaron Brooks) had ascended and the rest were playing loose and with confidence.

Then Lowry comes back and it all went to hell. I blame him. I also blame McHale for not telling him "no" more. The team chemistry changed and everyone knows what happened then.

In agreement with the OP I am for a fire sale of sorts but the truth is I don't think we'll suck. Until Lowery came back we didn't suck without him and Martin and I don't think we'll suck without him or Martin now. If Dragic is the lead and they bring back Camby (while adding another big man - one better than Dalembert) I think we are going to be pretty good. Not championship good but a playoff team.

We are not going to tank. We are actually going to be pretty good. Sorry to disappoint.

6. RyanB

RyanB Member

i think that finally even if Les does not want to tank, this young core of players is leading H-Town to a 20 wins season, i hope that the rebuilding process starts this year and hopefully we get our franchise player in the next 2-3 years!

7. smuduffy

smuduffy Member

This is sort of what I have been thinking. With all these young guys we can get a high pick while playing them and its building for future instead of tanking. Just have to trade Lowry, Martin, scola for picks or talent if you can really get it.

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Crash, why would they sign asik and not start him? What's the purpose of camby?

9. Handles

Handles Member

stopped reading here

10. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The situation changed three years ago when the Yao Tmac duo was broken up. Problem is we have an owner and a lot of fans who want instant gratification and don't want to do what is necessary to get an elite talent.

11. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Agree 100%. We had the perfect chance to do this with the 09ers last season. We could be talking about our top 5 pick we just chose right now instead of inane stupidity of Royce White turning into Lebron. Let's see if Les has pulled his head out of his ass and decided to actually play the young guys this go round.

12. FadeAway_Dreams

I was having a discussion in another thread about "tanking" being an ugly term. Tanking and rebuilding are two different things. If the organization decides to blow up the team, cast off the veterans and play young thats fine. As long as those young players go and play their hearts out and leave it all on the court then its not tanking and I would gladly watch.

13. joesr

joesr Member

and this is when I will go to more games.....

I'd prefer watching the new guys win 30 over the vets missing the playoff again with 44.

You have to start playing them all the minutes to figure out what they can offer by trade deadline.

Only one thing I didnt agree with OP, keep Camby....ofcourse if the price is home court discounted as he can help our big lot of PF's learn something.

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Your loss. Maybe you should watch some Royce before deciding that.

15. crash5179

Camby is the 40 year old guy that plays great when on the floor. He is also injury prone and in decline. He is not a guy you can depend on for a full season IMO.

Asik is an up and comer, not neccesarilly starting material IMO but definitely someone I would like on the team for the long haul as a defensive presence off of the bench.

I don't think you have to start every player you sign. Asik has a ton of value in a reserve role IMO.

16. Victorious

Victorious Member

Look, if this team goes young, and we win like 13 games, i better not hear any of you guys b****ing and crying. Yall better watch every single game and support the youngsters like said.

17. smuduffy

smuduffy Member

It's fun watching the kids play. We have had Landry, Brooks, Lowry, ppatt, bud, parsons, and now Lamb, Royce, and motie and jones. That is a lot of youth to have gotten a chance to watch grow. None became stars, but we haven't had low picks. Previous drafts you saw the guys highlights and were like that is a decent pick, but nothing exciting. I am glad we didnt trade our pick for next year or satisfy brooklyns pick, because these guys are exciting players that I finally feel have a legit shot at being special.
    They might not end up all stars but you have your kmart replacement, you have your euro pf/c that hopefully develops and you have Royce White. That is a man of a player. I am pretty sure that he will be everyone's favorite rocket come a few months from now. I haven't really seen a player like that before. I mean he has post moves, he can drive, he can slam, he has attitude, he even throws in a behind the back assist and a crossover into the mix and oh yeah he is 270! He may have a lot to work on, but I can stand watching him develop. He will be the most exciting rocket in along time.

1 person likes this.
  18. cod

cod Member

If the Rockets get a franchise player within the next couple of years. All these young players become "assets" or trade bait as they remodel the team around this new cornerstone.

Then if they're playoff bound, some might even be packaged for vets.

It's hard to be enthusiastic when knowing these guys are just temps.

19. crash5179

I watched damn near every single game in 2005 - 2006 season. That was some of the worst basketball of all time but I watched. That was tough.

At least in this coming season we have some very good, very young talent to watch grow. Motiejunas, White and Lamb will be more than enough to keep me tuned in every night because I love to watch young talented players as they develop.

Just don't force me to watch a .500 team full of veterans that have already reached their ceiling when we all know they will never have what it takes to seriously compete for a championship.

20. acjeitherocket

i concur 100%....

still cant believe our last playoff run was when i was a Rowdy lol