1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tal's Hill gone in 2016, CF fences to be moved in

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Jun 4, 2015.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure it's just an elevator/stairwell linking the levels.

2. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

You must have loved the boring cookie cutter stadiums built in the 1970's.

3. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I don't really think the changes they end up making will be 'boring cookie cutter'. It looks good to me and I think it'll be a fun place to hang out and watch the game.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

In 15 seasons, there has been one ball that hit the flag pole and there are a few adventurous catches on the hill every season. They will probably lose a few triples and gain a few home runs. So, in essence, removing the hill will cost a handful of 'exciting' plays over the course of 81 games.

Having beer and expensive nachos in centerfield is no different than having beer and expensive nachos in any other part of the park, so I do not see how that will significantly line Crane's pockets.

Considering they don't intend to add seats, and they are spending 15 million of the team's money on the renovations, I don't see where there will be any significant lining of Crane's pockets for years.

5. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Will this area be standing room only? If so, those are nachos and beer that can be consumed by people with a cheaper ticket. I like that. More people in the stadium that just want to casually watch and enjoy a beer. It's a good thing.

It is unfortunate that it is coming at the expense of the Hill... but let's not act like good things cannot come of it.

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

If that's all it is, it feels like a waste. A really cool interactive tower of any kind would be awesome!!!

No, I just don't like the x, y, z axis 90 degree turn, our zig zag outfield line makes left to center. I prefer our center to right field, looks and plays better.

My MMP redesign, cut out about half of the Crawford box rows from ~10 rows to ~4 rows. This would lengthen left to about ~325' from 315'. With the longer porch, you could now extend crawford boxes all the way to or past the Conoco pump. I think you get more crawford seat so no lo$$. It would shorten left-center 362'-390' to ~352'-380' or so but you keep your high crawford wall. BUT!!!, we get a continuous height/depth yellow line from left to left center to center, no more crazy zig-zags. It would also hide those stupid left center columns that are in play as well as eliminate the corner well behind the current crawford boxes. Those would be my additional improvements along with ripping out Tal's Hill which is great.

Since I'm redesigning MMP, let's continue. Flip the train around so it leaves union station. Add train cars (currently only 1) that are seats and let folks watch from the train!!! How freaking ridiculous and awesome at the same time LOL!!!

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I thought it was impossible to move back the Crawford boxes

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Nothing is impossible... j/k, idk it might be. But just to clarify, I'm not suggesting they moved "back" in tact. I'm suggesting they be cut in half (deep) and then extended out to center. Instead of 10 rows deep in left only, you now have 4 rows deep from left all the way to center if that makes sense.

#88 ipaman, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  9. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

I've heard that this had been talked about. The train car with the fake fruit would be turned into a "suite car". That would be one of the coolest seats in sports.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Something tells me the "club" portion of that rendering will not simply be accessible to the general public.

I know the club/bars in center field in Chicago are not accessible by just anybody with a ticket.

#90 Nick, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I always liked Tal's Hill, but not so much that I will miss it. Basically, I have no idea why I'm writing this because I don't really care about the topic or my own thoughts on it or anyone else's.

1 person likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Truth.

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Triples are more exciting than home runs.

Players look like ants from center field, you can't even see the pitcher/batter duel that is 90% of baseball. (of course the people out in the bar will just be looking at their phone anyway)

My guess from the rendering, Budweiser is paying the $15 mill in an advertising agreement.

14. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

The Astros have lost every game since this announcement.

15. DierkerFan

DierkerFan Member

I disagree. I occasionally hang out at the conoco pump porch near centerfield, and besides the seats directly behind home plate, centerfield offers the best perspective of the strike zone.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Exciting plays that we still talk about many years later.

17. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I like the Hill, think it gives our park something that sets it apart from others

It's not that huge of a deal though

I'd be shocked if the new "area" was open to all fans, will very likely be special tickets to get in. They could also make it a "party" area where you could rent it out like the do the roof deck. Problem with the roof deck is you never know when the roof will be open, and you have to rent it out ahead of time not knowing. A place like center field could be a party area that you know what you are getting. Would very likely be rented out every game if they did that, and make good money off of it.

And if it is a "pay" area like I would guess it will be, there is nothing wrong with that. I have not been a fan of Jim Crane since he bought the team, but he bought it to make money and hopefully produce a winner. The winner part sure looks like they are on the right track for. Maybe if he figures out a way to make more money, a little more will be spent also.

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

It was something that actually made the stadium unique. Something that set apart minute maid from the more boring reliant and Toyota centers

But now that don't live in Houston and have been to other stadiums, even minute maid doesn't hold up nationally. All Houston stadiuns could use some work

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Granted I've only been to 4 other stadiums in person (Arlington,Seattle,St.Louis,Kansas City) but I think MMP is one of the coolest parks in baseball. The facade/train tracks give it an extremely unique look. It also feels like a very open stadium, not an indoor park pretending to be an outdoor park like most of the other retractable roofs.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I'm not entirely sure what you want from a ball park. I really couldn't care less about basketball arenas because they basically all look alike on TV, not sure what makes an arena boring.

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Having seen a number of other football stadiums and basketball arenas I'm not sure what you think NRG and Toyota Center are missing? Both have modern amenities and massive video screens. Actually the biggest in their respective sports. Unless a place is completely out of date, which neither of these are, there's just not that much variability in NFL and NBA stadiums.