1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tal's Hill gone in 2016, CF fences to be moved in

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Jim Crane paid and bought a worthless Network. He is trying to maximize his money as best as he can. Probably one of the reason, that baseball has left him alone.

Drayton McLane took Crane to the Cleaners (I wonder how Crane's lawsuit is going?).... I remember that the team itself was only worth 350 million or so, but the network was valued at like another 350 million.... Hence the enormous 700 million price tag, less 50 million by the league to make the switch. Straddled by the forced move to the AL, and the years of losing, no farm system, a disenfranchised fan base, it all added up to Crane bleeding money. The network did not even have a fighting chance, because that was when the team needed the fans to demand the network.

Frankly, I doubt Crane would have little sympathy about what fans feel is relevant. The fans cost him a chance of being one of the most wealthy franchises. All the lost revenue of the TV deals....

So, getting rid of Tal's Hill is a money grab, and hey the answer is, it's all business. Baseball is a business of making people money. Fans are the ones flipping the bill anyways....

Crane's got his winning team, his loaded farm team, and he's going to make all the money he can get.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The "money grab" is costing the team 15 million dollars.

3. Buck Turgidson

Also, I thought it was going to be a SRO/General admission area that anyone with a ticket could go to? How does that make extra money?

4. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I'm shocked that it took 3 pages until someone turned this into Crane-hate.

5. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I really like the hill but I can't see how this is gonna do anything short of really enhancing fan experience. That bar area is not big enough and many times that is what I would prefer to do than sit

6. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Tal's Hill rules. Crane sucks, and center-field seats are garbage.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I like Crane. I like that he spent money this last off season. I like that he had a plan and is sticking to it no matter how hard the first seasons were. What I hate is the signs.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Looking at the renderings, this seems like much ado about nothing.

Until that American flag and grass logo behind the wall are inevitably replaced by 15 more billboards.

9. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I'm with you. The signage doesn't bother me quite as much as others, but I can see why people hate it.

That said, I hated the monstrosity in LF that they've since moved.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, the grass logo is technically the "batters eye"... so that shouldn't change all that much.

11. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I like Crane too. He really hasn't done anything to make me feel otherwise.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The Astros are probably worth over a billion dollars now. Sports teams are never a bad investment. It doesn't matter how bad you mismanage them. There are only so many of them and there a lot rich people.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tal Smith on Tal's Hill: &quot;I thought it created a lot of memorable plays &amp; provided pitchers a means of compensation for the Crawford Boxes.&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/606560678652952576">June 4, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. Buck Turgidson

I agree with Tal. The proposed CF area looks like it could be cool but I *really* don't like the idea of moving the fence in.

15. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I hate this. I'm sure a lot of the purest hate the hill but I freaking love it. To me it's what made the park so special and unique. It reminds me of sandlot out a group of kids that got together to play The game The love. There's a hill? Oh well play around it. The flag pole too. its getting in the way? Deal with it and play on. Just love it. Such nostalgia and originality and uniqueness. I miss the train as well. But whatever.

Now we will just be another typical ballpark. Some sort of a diamond shape.

Sigh. ..

16. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I
    Led panels?

Was not too fond of the idea of eliminating the hill. But this is kind of nice.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ah... that will probably be for advertising then.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yeah, that's my biggest concern as well.

Pretty smarmy of them to claim "player safety" as a reason to eliminate the hill/flagpole... when they could easily just eliminate those and NOT move the fences in as well.

But, alas, they want to utilize all the excess space there... just don't expect much consolation when pitchers find that there really is no "safe" place in this ballpark. Park factor will go up.

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Same here. It was unique and whenever there was a play up on that hill it was pretty fun to watch. Was it Richie Sexson that hit the flap pole out there? And the Berkman catch, the Beltran catches. Plus, the triple is one of the most exciting plays in baseball. So much fun. I just wish they named it after someone other than Tal Smith.

This is just about more advertising, more expensive drinks, and $15 nachos. More money in Crane's pocket.

2 people like this.
  20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

i mean hell I went to the game this past Saturday and villar hit behind the pole and while he got thrown out at home, that was the most exciting part of the game. Or the marisnick catch earlier this season was a gem.

#60 BigMaloe, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015