1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tall guys (6'7" or taller) who can shoot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rogower, Jan 19, 2015.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

And no, I'm not looking to discuss trade ideas of Durant or LeBron it was just hypothetical.

2. HardenHardon

HardenHardon Member

Rockets could have had Parsons for $1 million!?!?!

3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, you're right, unless you go off the whole agent rumor thing (since Parsons and Dwight have same agent), basically was rumored that agent would get Dwight to sign here if Parson's was released early for FA. I think there's an article somewhere on the site about it (not post but true article), if it's true, would definitely be shady.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I wonder if that is a violation of NBA rules though?

DD

5. jonasXV

jonasXV Member

Can golden state Curry. Klay Thompson. Bogut. Iguodala. Green and Barnes? The last two are gonna get paid but can they realistically afford all these guys? Barnes next to Harden no wayyy..

6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I really think it would be. I mean that's a really kind of crazy agreement to have. I posted link above, in case you missed it.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, I saw it, and actually had another post on it, but once I saw the article was from Clutch - it cemented the truth for me..

DD

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, it coming from Clutch definitely carries a lot of weight for me too. I was surprised when I read it that it didn't count as a violation or something.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Should have just kept Bobby Covington.

10. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

I'd be very happy with Mirza as a backup stretch 4. I think he'd have as large of an impact as Brewer has had on the bench unit. A guy that can truly hit the 3pt shot at a high clip is needed on this team. Excluding Harden our best three point shooters coming into the season were Daniels (traded) JET (still hitting) Ariza (forgot how to shot) Canaan (McFail's doghouse).

1 person likes this.
  11. photojoe

photojoe Member

If we had kept 2pat, we may or may not have had enough cap space to sign Dwight.

At the time Morey made that trade, he said that he thought Thomas Robinson would be easier to trade later for no incoming salary (which is what we did) to create max cap space

12. photojoe

photojoe Member

How is this blasphemous? I thought it was pretty much common knowledge.

Harden is our distributor and our play creator. The offense goes pretty stagnant whenever he sits. On the rare nights when he has an off night, our team looks horrible, out of sync and lethargic.

If he missed an extended period of time, we would collapse pretty quickly.

13. rogower

rogower Member

My cutoff was 33.0%. Mirza Teletovic is just below that, at 32.6%. I agree that he is on Daryl Morey's radar.

Ideally, Morey upgrades at G, which means you are giving all of Jason Terry's minutes and some of Patrick Beverley's minutes and giving them to this new G (Dragic, Lawson, whoever), and also at F, which means you take all of Josh Smith's minutes and maybe some of Corey Brewer's minutes and you give them to this new F, who, unlike Josh Smith, can shoot. And, ideally, you keep Motiejunas.

Ideally, you have a three guard rotation of James Harden, Beverley, and the new G (Dragic/Lawson/whoever). You give all of the minutes at SF to Trevor Ariza and Brewer. You start this new stretch four (Luol Deng, or whoever) and Motiejunas comes off the bench very early on, which allows you to use Motiejunas as both your backup PF as well as your backup C. Dwight Howard, Motiejunas, and Deng would all continue to get 32 minutes/game each (32 x 3 = 96).

You would likely be trading away Terry, Kostas Papanikolau, Alexey Shved, the Pelicans pick,maybe Terrence Jones, maybe Clint Capela, maybe Nick Johnson in order to get two players.

This is what I think Morey is trying to do. I cannot imagine that Morey wants Smith playing meaningful minutes in the playoffs.

People talk about how we need to trade for this player or that player, but they cannot bring themselves to admit that the reason we need to trade for so-and-so is because one of our current players is not good enough. Surely we all agree that the Rockets, as presently constituted, are not good enough to compete for a championship. Surely the large majority of us would agree that the two worst rotation players are Josh Smith and Jason Terry. Therefore, surely the large majority of us agree that we become a better team by replacing the two worst rotation players with, for example, Goran Dragic and Luol Deng.

14. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

I meant its blasphemous to bring up a scenario in which Harden is hurt:(

15. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Agreed but i can't see the Rockets taking Smith completely out of the rotation after promising him a starting spot just a few weeks ago. Unless we cut him which i also can't see happening.

16. rogower

rogower Member

I can easily imagine a scenario where we acquire a F who can shoot, Josh Smith's minutes are completely elimated, Smith's agent finds another team out there who will promise Smith a starting spot or at least meaningful minutes, and Smith and Houston part ways. In which case people will wish we would have simply kept Tarik Black.

The Josh Smith signing was probably not Daryl Morey's idea. Kevin McHale presumably was interested in coaching Smith, Dwight Howard and Howard's agent were chiming for Smith, Smith's agent was chiming for Smith. Maybe Smith has the same agent as Howard? Anyway, Morey will most likely wind up with the players he wants, and Smith will be out of the rotation completely, if not off the roster altogether.

17. HardenHardon

HardenHardon Member

So he screwed it up in a shady, underhanded sort of way?

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I meant it seemed unethical to be able to have an agent dictate how/when a player would be released that wasn't in a contract year. Looking back, and knowing how it would play out (with Parson's getting a big contract), I wonder if Morey would have negotiated more. I guess since these lists of demands were in play Morey probably followed through with agreement to make sure future FAs come to Houston.

19. craguin

craguin Member

Josh is represented by Brian Dyke / Gladiator Sports, not Dan Fegan / Relativity Sports.

I think this was simply a matter of two former AAU teammates who have wanted to play together professionally approaching Morey/McHale. The opportunity presented itself when Smith was waived and Tarik's non-guaranteed contract was the easy choice to cut. I think people understand Tarik had to go for the experiment to happen.