1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Talking during a game

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Jan 3, 2013.

1. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

When watching on TV: I am very very silent. I stare at the screen, and get very pissed off when we don't play perfect.

When watching live: I am pretty focused, but I will make comments about the game. I hate when randoms try to spark up convos, I come off rude because I am too focused on the game, I won't turn away for a second.

When watching on TV with people...I just don't do this. I used to threaten people who came over during Rockets games, if you talk, you leave. I literally told people to leave my house for talking to loudly or purposefully talking **** about the Rockets to annoy me.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

I let my dancing do the talking during games.

3. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I talk to random strangers...it amuses me.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I stopped watching sports a while back; but spectating is a leisure activity, so I really don't see why there couldn't be a social component.

5. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I never talk during Rockets, Texans, or Dynamo games. I would fall asleep if I didn't talk during the Astros games.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I hate repetitive, mindless talking that shows limited understanding.

Like that dude who sits next to me at at Texans games.

**** you, sir.

7. Poloshirtbandit

There was a guy sitting behind us at Robertson this past year that yelled "FUMBLE!" before every play when UH was on defense. That was fun.

8. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I like to talk about the plays in the game when Im watching it with people or alone, like:

GO, GO GO!! when a RB or WR has field to go.

or I yell to the defense to get a sack: GET HIM!!!

etc, etc.

also is fun to be in the CF chat room, during the rockets games, its like you were watching it with them.

I dont like to talk about things non related to sports during the game, well only during halftime or commercial breaks.

and this is true:

I can talk about anything during soccer, but when a good play its coming you stop talking and watch the game, also since Im not that passionated about soccer compared to the NFL, I can talk about anything.

9. thisiscaketown

I like having people talk during a game, provided that what they're talking about is the game.

10. ThaShark316_28

Me and my pops usually talk about other stuff during games if the game is in hand. Don't usually go away from the games if it's close and ****.

11. AB423

AB423 Member

When Shayne Graham kicked that kickoff that was returned for a td, I literally said... omg not again, right when I seen it was kicked short.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

Aw you dun wrong. You know you shouldn't have spoken a word according to the Haymitch Law of #NoTalkingDuringGames.

13. AB423

AB423 Member

lol oops I didn't know. I'll be sure to keep my mouth shut this weekend.

14. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I had this annoying neighbor that liked to pop by on Sundays unannounced and uninvited.Dude would try and predict every single play before it was ran ... I mean every single play for an entire freakin game ..."their gonna run..just watch..I'm tellin ya it'll be a run" . Then when he'd guess right he would celebrate like he just won the lottery,complete with hi-fives and sometimes even a victory dance.

I started either going to a friends house to escape him,or just refuse to answer the door,eventually he just quit coming over ..Wife tried to make me feel guilty but I was happy as hell to be rid of the guy.

1 person likes this.
  15. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I'm with Haymitch on this one, I don't mind some conversation between plays or timeouts, but I hate when supposed "die-hard fans" are chatting it up all throughout the games. And there's always the classic guy who tries to prove he cares so much about sports and overreacts at everything in the 1st quarter, but by about the 2nd half isn't even paying attention to the game anymore.
    Incomplete pass: GOD DAMNIT!
    First down: YES! FIRST DOWN!

If I'm talking to a knowledgable fan during the game, it can be extremely interesting/entertaining. But unfortunately for me that rarely happens, so if I'm not watching the game at home on TV most extra conversation is both distracting/annoying to me.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I just want some #protocol for #howpeoplewatchgames. As it is right now, everyone is different, and that's #notsafe. This isn't about me being a jackass, this is about #health. #jackasstroopers

This is what I'm talking about!

I hate that guy too!

Anyways it's good to see that I'm not alone on this. Maybe, just maybe, I'm a normal human man afterall!

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I prefer to keep the chatter down to a minimum. I don't mind little comments here or there, like "they are getting killed on the boards" or "D line isn't getting any penetration".

I do agree that the over energetic guy on every play is annoying.

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Mentions of WIVEs and LAST SECONDS OF THE GAME interruptions remind me of this here Sinbad Brain-damaged special I remember seeing long-a$$ time ago (starts at 7:23):
    <object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L_a7fPNvOEw?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0&amp;start=443"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L_a7fPNvOEw?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0&amp;start=443" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

:grin:
    [CLICK!] Can I talk to you, please?

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

During meaningful games, there are very few people I will watch with. For example, prior to game 7 of the Rockets-Knicks series, my brother in law and family had driven up from Texas. I closed myself in the bedroom to watch the game, because he is a person I would not want to watch a meaningful game with.

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

We are having a mature conversation about sports and you have to come here and bring up soccer. Please. Soccer is probably the 9th most popular sport in America behind NFL, NCAAF, MLB, NBA, NCAABB, NASCAR, Golf and Ice Hockey. The only people who chose to play it first are either those who can't play the above sports (i.e., get cut from the high school teams) or immigrants who don't know any better.

/rant