1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Taliban kill more than 20 people (including children) for being "un-Islamic"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Thanks for the consideration, ATW. Sweet of you.

Hope all is well with you too.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

You don't even understand what you are talking about. At all. Seriously. Just about everything in your post is wrong or does not apply to the discussion at hand (taking reporters to the frontline in combat). I'll leave it to SamFisher or someone else to continue to school you. I feel like I am talking to a mentally handicapped child.

3. Northside Storm

I wouldn't be an arm-chair general. If I had my druthers, there would be no war.

With that said, I don't talk about whatever experience you may have had in the war. I respect the fact that you followed your personal convictions, even if they are in distinct conflict with mine. However, when you start making specific policy prescriptions, some of them with immense legal and constitutional ramifications, your background in the war does not mean you necessarily know what you speak of.

Now, I hope we can be civil, I don't mean to attack you as a person, merely some of your statements. You'll have to excuse ATW, we kinda have some weird tension or something.

4. JD88

JD88 Member

Well then I am curious, after there were planes flown into the WTC's, what would you have done since you wish there to be no war?

5. Northside Storm

Right. You create a legal case for stopping the embeds.

That would be a hell of a fight. I've backed up from fragrantly illegal because you have tried to clarify his stance of "the boot to the media" from ALL media to frontline embeds in certain situations (good job shifting the parameters). Still fairly confident if freedom of the press supersedes executive privilege for past classified documents, it would also for present unclassified material (the embeds sign a contract where they are basically spoon-fed "unclassified" material).

The funniest thing is that most people have qualms with the embeds being too biased in favor of the American military due to these heavy restrictions. Banning them altogether---heh.

6. Northside Storm

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

So many instances---for example---

http://www.salon.com/2012/06/19/new_nsa_docs_reveal_911_truths/singleton/

7. trustme

trustme Member

ATW is actually the copy boy at a law firm who gets all his vocabulary from the documents he has to copy everyday. Posts 6 times a day and spends 6 hours a day surfing anti-Islamic websites. Spends 2 hours copying documents.

8. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

You keep using this fragrantly illegal argument. And it's a little stinky.

9. Northside Storm

Banning all American media in Afghanistan? Hell yes, that would be.

Now, you move to embeds in specific scenarios, that is a grey zone (especially since the embeds are only really ten years old in terms of the modern definition of the term). However, given how strongly the Supreme Court has historically evaluated the First Amendment, and the steadfast defense of it in the Roberts court for Westboro Church members and "corporate free speech", I'm fairly confident it would be illegal. Maybe not fragrantly.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Asian?

Nobody shifted the parameters, you just didn't understand what he was talking about.

You are clueless.

11. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

depends on how often they shower.

12. Northside Storm

Proudly to your first point (though you'll have to guess the %, us multis are good people).

Secondly, "the boot to the media" I interpreted more broadly. You narrowed it down to embeds in specific situations (frontline), which is cool. It's still a hell of a legal fight either way. Mount the argument you would have, I'm curious LLM boy.

Thirdly, that might be, but you know what Socrates said. I never implied I was anything. You just have to constantly remind people how you do ten things at once. It's really quite hilarious.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

:grin:

14. Northside Storm

Hey, to be fair, English ain't my first language. i is allowed to maka some errorrs.

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Except for

which after this follow-up question

turned into

and

which led to this hilarious response:

Not to mention that you have been "in the trenches". LOL.

16. Northside Storm

ATW, the fact that you have a hard-on for me is both a complement, and kinda creepy.

Well, guess it's not the worst thing to have a MBA/LLM/CFA/CPA/LLB/LLCOOLJ stalking me.

17. JD88

JD88 Member

18. Northside Storm

Well, that's exactly what the Bush Admin. did before 9/11. They did everything AFTER. You need to question whether it would have been better to flip that...especially given how cozy the Taliban were to America.

http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/how-washington-funded-taliban

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Fixed.

20. Northside Storm

Oh ATW. Nice pick on the LLCOOLJ designation!

Unfortunately, you're veering way too off-topic and I must be off soon anyways. So it's the off switch for you. Talk to you the next given time I feel like it. I'm sure you'll be raring to go as always. (I come calling and you drop 600 replies. good stuff).