1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Taliban kill more than 20 people (including children) for being "un-Islamic"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jun 22, 2012.

1. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Yea, that worked out wonderfully in all the wars we have been a part of this century.

2. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Unfortunately, most of that is being done with varying degrees of success and devastation (especially the escalation of drones). Your only novel suggestion amounts to media censorship (completely unconstitutional).

My personal opinion is that even if in war, America loses its' values, it will have "lost", no matter what the result on the battlefield is.

That's just me.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Now you are a US constitutional lawyer? First of all, he was talking about media on the ground in Afghanistan. Secondly, in any war, media coverage is restricted. Thirdly, you are completely clueless about everything.

Nice words to make you look "holier than thou". Of course, this is so generic that nobody could seriously disagree. It doesn't contradict any of the excellent suggestions by JD88, though.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We haven't really fought a war.....just a bunch of police actions.

DD

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Good for the Taliban -- weeding out the non-hackers.

6. JD88

JD88 Member

Um, no. Nights raids have stopped because Karzai says they are scary, despite their effectiveness. And no, you cant build infrastructure in friendly towns only because enemy towns will complain. And double no, the elected officials in Afghanistan to a big degree have all ties to radical Islam. Thats why they were chosen to begin with. They were Imams, religious leaders, previous governors by default due to the exploitation of the villagers in which they controlled. The only thing that has been somewhat consistent are the drone strikes (which if by consistent you believe 118 in 2010, 70 in 2011, and 24 so far in 2012 is consistent), and the building up of the police force, of which many were former taliban themselves.

And I said increase the Afghan police pay, which is now about $240 a month. On average fighting for the Taliban nets you around $300 a month. Tell me what is wrong with that picture.

7. Northside Storm

You're German so I forgive you.

But, yeah, you should really get some insight---

As for JD's suggestions, most are already being implemented anyways, and the few that aren't are either fragrantly un-American (media censorship), or akin to proposing to end the War on Drugs by getting druggies to stop taking drugs or saying the solution to the Rockets losing is for them to score more baskets than the other team. Seriously. You don't think America is looking for politicians like JD describes?

I have respect for what he has done for his country, but his suggestions are redundant or fragrantly illegal. He could have claimed "stricter wartime provisions on the media" and gotten away with the thin line of legality---but booting media out of the country? Yeah. There's a certain Supreme Court that WILL have a problem with that.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

LOL

DD

9. Northside Storm

The Roberts Supreme Court voted 8-1 in favor of First Amendment protections for Westboro Church Members picketing the funeral of a dead marine (Snyder v. Phelps), and we all know what happened in Citizens United. I actually can't see an easier way to a 9-0 vote in this oft-divided and contentious court than what JD is proposing.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

This is absolutely hilarious. Some idiot googling something and posting something that is completely irrelevant to the situation at hand and thinking he is acting really smart.

In contrast to you, I have taken US constitutional law classes, have an LL.M., am admitted to the New York Bar, but even without all of that, I know what I am talking about.

11. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I don't actually know if I would do what JD88 and others are suggesting now. But in October 2001, I basically believe that anything short of WMDs and torture should have been fair game.

12. Northside Storm

...you took American constitutional law classes, and yet you haven't heard of the Ellsberg case, and can't figure out how to relate that to American media freedom in wartime situations?

You need to start getting your story straight. The MBA from UChicago and barely being able to follow a discussion in intermediate macroeconomics was eh, but now I have to say there is a significant disconnect between your "asserted" credentials and the reality of the situation.

13. Northside Storm

Posts Per Day: 6.06
    Admitted to the New York Bar

[​IMG]

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You even fail at pic posting.

Admitted since before '99.

15. Northside Storm

Oh, you know, you're about as legit as the IPhone at this point. I need to question if you even have an education at this juncture, if I have to spell that out.

MBA/LLM? Right. What firm do you work for? My mentor is at Anderson Kill, he seems a hell of a lot busier than you. Let me know the firm that lets you post 6 times a day on basketball forums.

Let's make this a little harder. Firm and specialty. I could probably find you on LinkedIn at that point if I so desired.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Intern - I could have found myself on various sites easily already with all the information I have already given here. Even adeelsiddiqui has already shown that he is more adept at research than you.

[​IMG]

17. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

You're not going to successfully attack Sir Jackie's credentials, NS. He's lifer here and has been consistent on this stuff since you were in grade school.

His judgement, maybe? His sobriety? welllllllll......:cool:

18. Northside Storm

His credentials are not worth anyone's time if he can't even relate the Ellsberg case to the protection of media freedom in wartime situations. I could actually care less if he graduated from MIT PHD in economics, if ATW left that institution with the same amount of knowledge he holds now.

I'll chalk it up to the alcohol destroying his brain cells.

19. Northside Storm

Whatever position you hold, tell me about it. It's useful to know what jobs seem to be challenging, but don't hold very much salt at the end of the day.

20. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

ATW is too legit, and JD88, thanks for your service and pointing out suggestions from first hand experience. Everything you said makes sense.