1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tales of fright and horror, my Rose Garden experience, 11-26-02.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ZRB, Nov 27, 2002.

1. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

You know, it's funny. I thought that no matter what happened, the Rockets were surely going to perform better than they did in the three games I attended last year.

99-81, 112-82, and 92-79. Those were the scores of two games in Seattle, and the final game in Portland last season that I attended. Pretty f***ing ugly, but that was an off year. Surely, the Rockets were going to do better this time around. Even in a loss, a score of 100-94 wouldn't have been so bad.

71 points? 71 points???!!!

Yep, it got worse.

That was the worst NBA game I have ever attended, if you can call it an NBA game. First of all, my seats were horrific. My advice to anyone attending a game in Portland, pay extra for some lower level seats. That arena has the worst nosebleed seats I have ever experienced. Yao looked like a midget from up there.

I guess I got what I paid for. I got a 10 dollar seat, and a 10 dollar game.

The Blazers simply begged the Rockets to defeat them the whole game, but they could never get going. Right now, this team is just a bunch of talented players, with zero chemistry, at least on the road.

I never thought I'd say it, but I miss Mobley. They really needed his shooting. Steve was too well defended, and left his jumper in LA. We need Mobley back so Moochie can take his place on the bench. I thought Mooch did a good job of getting to loose balls, but he did everything else wrong.

Yao looked okay. He did a great job in getting to the line, but missed six of ten free throws. Speaking of that, if the Rockets had done a half-decent job from the line, they would have won this game easily.

Interesting note: Yao and Steve both got nice ovations when they were introduced to the crowd. The Rockets seem to be a popular team.

There was definitely a large Chinese presence at the game. Hopefully they weren't too dissappointed in Yao's performance.

It was pretty disappointing to see Damon Stoudamire so roundly booed when he entered the game. Half of Portland smokes dope anyway, get over it people.

Probably the highlight of the evening was discovering that there was a balcony where I could have a ciggy during halftime. I really needed one after that first half.

I guess I'm just lucky. In the last two seasons, I have been treated to some of the worst live Rocket performances in history. My record is now 2-5 when in attendance. I have lost four straight.

Still, like I said, I got what I paid for; a horrible game in horrible seats.

I am not looking forward to Friday's game in Seattle. I have excellent, expensive seats. Is there any reason to think the Rockets won't be totally destroyed by the Sonics, an 80's Denver team offensively, by comparison? Is there any hope?

The Rockets need to stock up on great bench shooters if they are ever going to contend. I'm talking about guys like Matt Bullard, Mario Ellie, and Walt Williams (who they should never have let go).

Anyway, as far as positives go, there is one. As bad as the Rockets played, they still had a chance to win in the end. They played pretty good defense, and Bonzi "Rocket-killer" Wells just hit a tough shot near the end. Last year, the score would have been 100-71. 77 points? That's great defense.

Please guys, just make it a good game on Friday. PLEASE!!!

2. AT

AT Member

Yeah...look what Walt's doing for Dallas...:rolleyes:

Anyways. We've got all the shooting we need in Nachbar, Rice and TMo. At least one of them should be able to hit shots on any given night. If Bostjan could ever get off the bench that is.

Why draft a Euro if you're not going to play him? Couple that with also complaining about not having any shooting and you've got the makings of a very confused loyal fanbase.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

IMO, even the Rockets defense is average at best and often seems better than actually is. The team just doesn't get blown out a lot or vice versa. If their offense is good, so is the other teams. If their offense sucks, expect the other team to do poorly on offense, and, if we lose, to hear people applaud them for their defensive effort. Sure, this happens to other teams as well, but not the really good teams; They legitimately destroy teams that are worse than them on occasion, and their defensive performance is independent of offensive performance.

4. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

70 point games are happening all over the league this year because of zone defenses.

Against the Rockets, teams are bunching up and stopping drives from Steve and KT....forcing the Rockets to depend on peremiter shooting by the likes of Glen Rice and Juaquin Hawkins.

Until Cuttino returns, it looks like we are going to have to get lucky from the outside or watch some uglyball.

On D....our zone is giving opponents the same kind of problems.