1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Taking my talents to H-Town

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rammo, Jul 29, 2018.

1. rammo

rammo Member

G’day all (AUS accent confirmed),

So yeah my family and I are travelling to the US in March and planning a few nights in Houston, because I’m a life long Rockets fan and there’s no way that’s not f*cking happening.

Obviously we’ll be attending a game (or 2 depending on schedule) but I wanted to know if there’s any way to check out a practice or do a tour of Toyota Center as well? Does the club even hold those sort of things for fans to attend?

Any tips you’ve got in general about getting to games/places to stay or checkout would also greatly appreciated. This is a once in a life time trip for me and my kids so I’m pretty keen to max out.

Cheers in advance!

PS - I also make wine so if someone could send me Melo or CP3s details, I’m willing to hand deliver them some of our top shelf reserve Shiraz...

topfive, D-rock, vlaurelio and 11 others like this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

rammo, jevjnd, Jontro and 1 other person like this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

have fun breh.

if you ever want to low-key follow our superstars to their home after a game for some kickass akward pics, i know a few brehs that could make it happen.

rammo likes this.
  4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Good luck. Houston can be a difficult nut to crack for people unfamiliar with the place. Do not go to NASA, do not go to Kemah or Galveston (unless you're renting a beach house on the Bolivar, then by all means go and drink plenty!), do not do the dumb touristy things. Stay inside the loop, make a list of foods you need to try out, because chances are Houston has the best available in the country from BBQ to Tex Mex to Vietnamese food, to Cajun and even Indian food. Go to W. Alabama Ice House for a night (maybe during a Rocket's game even), sit on a bench with some cold ones while eating Tierra Caliente tacos. Hit up some of the new breweries in East downtown or maybe even just go to Moontower inn for a sampling of all the local taps and some killer hot dogs with every game meat you can imagine. Watch the Anthony Bourdain Houston episode and perhaps put Himalaya on your bucket list. Houston is not the city with breathtaking architecture or can't-miss museums; it's more of an intuitive place, an immigrant haven now raised up because of its uniqueness.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He's bringing kids so I'm not sure if a trip based on food and bars is the best thing.

I do agree with avoiding the Kemah Boardwalk though, unless you are in the area and have no other option (as there is nothing great in that area).

napalm06 likes this.
  6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I like can make a day of the museums, zoo, rice/west university. Always fun. Probably the most scenic cut of Houston.

The galleria mall is pretty cool, idk how you feel about gigantic malls but it’s a good couple hours to kill.

Definitely pick a couple restaurants. BBQ, maybe ninfas, pappas restaurants are good, anything Fertitta related of course lol

Galveston is cool too, it’s a drive if you’re gonna be here for a while it’s a cool tourist trap.

Bunch of cool hotels downtown if you’re into blowing your money on things like that.

vlaurelio likes this.
  7. rammo

rammo Member

“Hey Melo hey hey wait hey here’s some wine bro....”

*gets tasered

Jontro likes this.
  8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Go to NASA. It's cool. People in Houston take it for granted, but it's one of the only places in the world that you can actually see a real space craft. Houston is also a 2.5 hour drive to Austin, and there are lots of things to do up there also.

#8 rockbox, Jul 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    D-rock, mrm32, jch1911 and 2 others like this.
  9. rammo

rammo Member

As an Aussie, I pride myself on all things BBQ and yes, I’ve seen the Bourdain special @Spacemoth . Oh boy.

Looking forward to loudly telling your best chefs “you got nothin” before realising quickly you infact have something and my big mouth has me in over my head.,.

topfive, jch1911 and PhilCollins like this.
  10. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I LOVE moontower inn!

D-rock and Ziggy like this.
  11. rammo

rammo Member

Yeah we had that down to check out for sure. My brother stayed in Austin for a while with a friend who was actually studying at UT and raves about Austin, but not sure if we’ll have time. Need the damn schedule to come out FFS Adam Silver!

12. rammo

rammo Member

Haha it’s $7 for the backstage tour. I honestly expected it to be way more. Will definitely do.

If I slip the tour guide a $50 do you think they’ll let me sit in Murray’s office swivel chair? I might be able to manoeuvre the team out of Rhino’s horrible contract...

D-rock likes this.
  13. CCorn

CCorn Member

Can you play backup pg?

dreamshakin, rammo and Jontro like this.
  14. xaos

xaos Member

Haha

Visitor: “what are some things to do in Houston”
    Houstonian: “NASA and drive to Austin”

15. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Do Not waste your time driving to Austin. The only thing you’ll get in Austin is:

1) maybe, some better outdoor stuff. Depends on what you enjoy. There’s no fishing or anything like that.. it’s boring for me and you can also ride a bike down a creek in Houston. You can see some hills, while Houston is flat. That’s about it. If you want to go to the hill country go out to Fredericksburg or something.

2) **** load of terrible traffic. It’s a poorly designed highway system and it seems like they have been trying to fix it for decades but they can’t get it right. Every city has traffic, including Houston. It sucks.. but maybe the idiot drivers in Austin make it worse.

3) Austin has TERRIBLE food. There’s nothing about Austin that says “come eat here!” Houston is ten fold over Austin on the food. Throw in museums, beach, etc. Houston has all of what Austin has and more. Houston does not have a 6th street type area.. but 6th street is cool if you want to walk around and drink and see stupid drunk people. I will say Austin has a better music scene down in that area but again, depends on your taste in music.

4) Bums.. there’s a lot. Houston has their fair share but Austin has a bum with a dog on every corner.

16. rammo

rammo Member

I’m not coming off the bench.

Relativist, D-rock, jch1911 and 3 others like this.
  17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

#3 is simply not true. Austin has many great restaurants...just not the diversity and volume that Houston has. And, some might disagree, but I think the Tex Mex in Austin is better than Houston. But that’s my opinion after 15 years living in central Texas.

Now let the Austin v Houston derailment begin!

joshuaao likes this.
  18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Reading comprehension. My fault. If he has kids I recommend Navigation Ninfa's and maybe if it's not too hot, taking the city bikes and going up the White Oak trail to the Heights and 19th avenue. If it is hot like usual just strolling down 19th and the White Oak trail a bit should be ok. The Heights is a great family-friendly place to drive through in general. What else can kids do? The aquarium is downtown and should be innocuous enough. Stay AWAY from the zoo on weekends, jesus F everybody brings their stroller out and parking/traffic are nightmares. Hermann Park is overrated; you might as well just walk around the Village near Rice University.

Geez, in retrospect none of this sounds great. I still do not recommend NASA or the Moody Gardens, and your kids will fall asleep in the MFA or Menil. No reason to take them to Austin either if alcohol is not involved. Maybe Schlitterbahn?? All of my friends with children moved to the suburbs and we haven't heard from them again. Sorry.

19. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Yeah, go take your kids for a night of drinking! SMH lol

20. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, I agree. There are lots of really cool things for the kids to see and do at NASA. It's not a tourist trap gimmick, it's the real deal, and a part of history people often take for granted. Great minds, great scientists, engineers, and pilots working together for space exploration, with an up close and personal look at rockets, space capsules, and other items from space history. Water parks, bars, and food are fun, but not unique, and definitely not educational or inspiring for young minds.

Look up Armand Bayou Nature Center's website, and you can book an Armand Bayou pontoon boat cruise through alligator waters, and see numerous herons, birds, alligators, etc..up close, while seeing hawks, vultures, and maybe even a bald eagle soaring above. It's awesome!! The naturalists are great, and point out every bird or creature along the way. I think it's a great escape from the hustle and bustle, and is just on the outskirts of Houston down the road from NASA. You could do a Breakfast on the Bayou cruise and then head to NASA, doing both in one day, easily, but have to book in advance.

#20 deb4rockets, Jul 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    rammo, D-rock and vlaurelio like this.