1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Take Ming. Here's why.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, May 19, 2002.

Tags:
  1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I can understand the concern with the chinese gov't stuff....but language barriers??? Cmon, you gotta be kidding me. First of all, the guy is apparently learning English...but regardless, its not like Ichiro, Sasaki or any other Japanese/Chinese players are having problems. Hell, have you ever heard Mariano Rivera do an interview? The guy sounds like he got off the boat yesterday.

Besides, the only words Ming needs to know are: score, rebound, pass, and block.

PS...agreed TPL

2. Franchize3

Franchize3 Member

God smiled down on the Rockets this past weekend.

Ming is our best option. We know he's confident in himself, so making him tough shouldn't be a problem. Get him here, make him mean...and we can win.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

I can't imagine a single scenario, KG included, that would keep us from drafting Yao.

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Okay, everybody is talking about Ming's abilities as the reasons for drafting him or not drafting him. I'm sorry to those of you who don't think the Rockets should draft Ming because he won't be good, but he is by the far most intriguing prospect for the Rockets. And based on ability and potential alone, he is the number one pick for the Rockets. And to those of you who think the Rockets should draft him because he's a once in a lifetime player and will increase the Rockets support, all I can say is DUH!!!

However, this is all immaterial to me. My main concern is whether Ming will be able to play 82 games and all of the playoffs for every season that he is under contract with the Rockets. What I've been hearing about Zhi Zhi situation in Dallas is scaring the crap out of me. I'm also concerned whether he will be allowed to come into training camp. Maybe I'm naive, but I feel that trying to work a guy into a system who doesn't speak English AND doesn't come to practice could be a potential problem. And my biggest concern above all else is whether the Chinese government will even allow Ming to play in Houston. Believe me, you can get a lot more trading Ming on draft night, than trying to trade him while he's holding you hostage all summer long. For instance, I'm positive the Grizzlies could have gotten a lot more if they traded Steve on draft night.

I think the answers to these questions must be known before you can decide whether to pass on Ming or take him. Basically, I don't think a lot of you are making very informed decisions right now. I'm waiting to hear how China reacts, now knowing that Houston has the number one pick. If they choose not to react at all, you can bet that the Rockets are going to take it up the ___ if they draft Ming.

5. Live

Live Member

OUTSTANDING POST!!!

And I love the way you're already looking over the field, sizing up the competition, TPL.

Why would the Rocks want to help the Clips?!

Williams\Brand, with Miles and Richardson on the wings would be lethal, better than what they have now!!

6. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

EXACTLY DC...the Wang situation scares the hell out of me too and if they are going to trade him, do it before he is able to hold us hostage

7. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I can ! How about the scenario where Ming will not be allowed to attend training camp and will only be allowed to play sixty games a season due to his commitment to the Chinese National team? Or what about the scenario where China will reserve the right to pull him back to the homeland whenever they want?

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I love this! Rockets can get a helluva player for the number one pick. Even if the Rocks don't think they can negotiate a favorable deal with China the number one pick has so much trading value.

You think Jordan wouldn't trade Kwame and his pick for Jay and the 15? Pfft, in a heartbeat.

I hope Houston can work out a favorable deal with Ming tho, cuz he's a helluva prospect!

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

DaDakota, we either 100% agree or are polar opposites. There is no "I sorta agree" between us it seems. Wouldn't you agree. :)

I always thought that Bradley didn't really like to play basketball. Ming's two parents were pro players, right? His mother is like 6'6 and his father is 7', right? He is an only child and they have been raising him to play basketball, and build a basketball body, and coordination, and view of the game, all his life.

Funny how all of that does not matter versus learning a pirouette.

His background in basketball and watching the two games of him has me convinced that Ming loves this game and is a fundamentally solid player--a student of the game. Bradley was not that; Smits was not fundamentally solid; and Ralph Sampson was a headcase who wanted to be a point guard, because he didn't want to be compared to Jabbar. Ming is ready to perform, and his idol is Sabonis. He knows his style and is thirsty to learn. Many 7'ers just never really seem to learn to love the game. They are just forced into it.

10. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

If we think Ming is the real deal and forsee few problems with his contract, go for it. If we are not so sure, I saw trade the #1 for the right price. Lac, GS or Chicago would seem the most likely candidates.

I Like the idea of trading with the Clips. But for any deal with them I want Brand as the principle. Brand is an oustanding young player, but I don't think anyone thinks he is elite superstar material (Duncan, Shaq, KG) nor does he fill the stands with flashy play. Odom, Miles and Kandi (via S&T) are risky, Brand is not risky. I say demand Brand + their 1st pick (9th, maybe high enough for Butler or Bordchart) or Odom or Miles or Kandi (S&T) FOR our #1 (Ming) + KT or #15 + salary filler (Rice, MoT). In short the Clips need to bring Brand in the equation to have a dialogue. If they balk, well sorry Donald, I guess you will always be in Shaq and Kobe's shadow on the court, in the stands, and in LA/national media.

11. WyoRox

WyoRox Member

Okay guys, my first post. Go easy on me.
    It seems we have five-six weeks to work out an equitable deal with China or make a HUGE deal with someone.
    As far as getting Ming for traing camp, why don't we simply hold our training camp in China? They want the benefit of NBA training anyway and I don't see our players not enjoying visiting a different culture for a little while each year. My only question about such a possibility would be: What are the Shanghai Sharks doing during that time of the year?

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

For all those posters who are hesitant on Yao because of questions regarding Chinese demands, permission to participate for full seasons, his desire, his inside game, and everything else: those questions will get answered.

Give the Rocks some time. They will obviously be talking with the Chinese representatives about how they feel about Yao's career in Houston. I bet Yao will do a workout for Houston before the draft as well (he may prefer Chicago, but Chicago may prefer Williams, which leaves Yao to Houston and Golden State and maybe Memphis and Denver -- which team would you rather play for?).

The Rockets are not going to make a decision based on what little information we have now.

13. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

This is such a great point that it should be re-emphasized.

Much of drafting Ming is about spacing, spacing, spacing. Spacing and defense (and having the best player in the world at the time) won us two championships. Sure, Ming will pop out occasionally and shoot the 15-18 foot jumper, but so did Hakeem and that didn't sabotage our inside-out game. Rudy knows his teams had their best success with a player on the blocks who demands a double team; Yao is just the kind of presence we need to make the offense click. That, and a 3 who shoots 40% from the arc ...

All I know is the thought of Griffin in single coverage for his career makes me drool.

HP beat me to it. People who object to spending our number one pick on a center who is at least Rik Smits weren't paying much attention in the 90's. The Pacers with Rik Smits went to the Finals once (he was hobbling by them) and were a couple bounces away from going two other times. They were a very, very good team. And Smits demanded a double team, which made life easier for Reggie. Go back and watch the tapes. Smits was doubled all the time due to his effective hook shot.

IMO, Marc Jackson + Reggie + Smits + Davis bros. (this was before Antonio had any offense other than put backs) + McKey < Francis + Mobley + Yao + Griffin + Mo T/new small forward -- and that was a Pacer team that could easily have won a title with a few breaks.

Not next year, but in 2 or 3 years, we've got a contender.

#53 wrath_of_khan, May 20, 2002
    Last edited: May 20, 2002
  14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Why would we want to take Yao Ming over Latrell Spreewell and possibly Drew Gooden or Chris Wilcox? Because Yao Ming is the #1 pick, Yao Ming is publicity city. Yao Ming is the reason Rockets games will fill up more. the Kings know this, the Mavericks know this. I don't know if this 21 year old kid from China is the key to stopping Shaq. The Rocky Mountain Revue is going to be veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy interesting this year.

15. WyoRox

WyoRox Member

There is too much upside to Yao not to pick him. I agree with most of the posters here. He has: 1)Height, 2)a smooth shot, 3) a good lower body build (even if he needs upper work) and, 4) a built in audience.
    As I wrote earlier I am not adverse to doing training camp or even a pre-season game (with Dallas?) in China as it not only gives us international exposure but gives us a chance to look closer at some of their future talent and man, what a pool that is going to be!

16. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

OK, so we should take a player with the number 1 pick because

1. He`ll put butts in the seat and therefore everyone will play at a higher level and the Rockets make a ton of money on merchandising.......Agreed

2. He will make Griffin a better palyer because he will get better spacing......Agreed

3. He's not just a physical specimen, he's a player.....Disagree. How many games have you actually seen him play in? Did you read any of the reports regarding his tryout for the GM`s and Scouts? How can anyone honestly access his performance over the years without having having watched him play over an extended period of time. I dont think the competition he had in China would even come close to what he will encounter in the NBA.

4. he is by the far most intriguing prospect for the Rockets......Depends. I think there are a few players from college that I would rather have not to mention trading down for a proven NBA caliber player which is what I would like to see.

IMHO there are to many if`s and maybe`s associated with Ming. How can anyone try and determine what type of player he will be in the NBA when he has not regurlarly played to the level of competition he will face. I also do not feel that Ming could come in and make a sudden impact, he looked to soft in his tryout and was tired after 15 minutes of play, going againist college players. Granted I say this because I have only seen his tryouts and clips from Sportscenter along with a few articles, so if anyone has seen the guy play over a consistent period of time please let me know cause I would love to jump on board, but to say he was great playing againist the competition in China is not even close to what he will face on a day to day basis in the NBA. He would be a great story, but would he be a great Rocket?

17. Roarke

Roarke Member

Yaooo Baby!! Now, ...what to do about the 15th pick?:D

18. cson

cson Contributing Member

To reiterate- Great point Will.....

WE MUST DRAFT MING

Quick Hits
    -We've had 3 #1 picks
    - All have been centers
    -2 have been Hall of Famers
    - The lotto, the draft, it's all a gamble
    -Sometimes ya get a Dream, sometimes ya Ralph
    (both, by the way, well worth the gamble imo)

- Official Clutch City Nick Name- Yao "The Machine Hums" Ming

19. mfgarza

mfgarza Contributing Member

Obviously we need a center and a small forward. Given our biggest weakness was our crappy defense I say we go w/Ming. Ofcourse it's a risk. But how often do we have a chance to draft a 7'5" freak of nature. Good small forwards are a dime a dozen. Besides we can address the SF w/the 15 pick,sign and trade or w/the 5 million exception. Besides w/everyone hopefully healthy we should be improved so this risk will not kill us if he's a bust.You can't teach height.

20. Sane

Sane Member

Put away the questions of him translating to the NBA for a sec. A question for Ming lovers:

If he can't come to training camp, or preseason. But will be here for the 82 games, would you want him?

Understand that he won't be fresh, because he'll be working summer and season apparently.

What do you think?