1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Taco Bell Sauces

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Fatty FatBastard, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Fatty FatBastard

The cheeserito was indeed awesome. How does one go about a petition to get these back?!? I know they still use all of the ingredients for them.

2. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

I was offered jalapenos on my last visit to Taco Bell. Needless to say, the offer was accepted.

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I saw a mini-salsa bar once at a taco bell in northern california...it just had some cilantro, jalapenos and some lime. but that was it. it was also one of the nicer newer looking taco bells i have seen.

i am a bit sad that the taco bell in culver city closed down I didnt see it last time on my way to costco. It was the only taco bell I knew that was still around that hat the old school logo on it:

[​IMG]

4. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

I dunno if I'm only one but I don't really mind those hot sauces. I love anything that is spicy.

I haven't had a taco from there since last year. Taco meat...eww.

5. Fatty FatBastard

I love their tacos. But I pretty much like tacos, in general. And their sauces aren't bad, necessarily, but it is time they expand it.

6. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

They are FAR from spicy. It's just a little flavor to change up the otherwise bland taste of their products.

I can eat the spiciest food out there, but I avoid their "Fire" sauce because it is just way too salty, and not actually spicier than "Hot".

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Dude I always ask for and get Jalapenos from Taco Bell. And for cilantro you need to be hittin up them Roach Coaches! ;)

8. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

Hi there, how are you this day?
    A Friday of frigid and gloom
    A Friday needing a heart shed
    Then why I don't I assume

Monday to Friday, nine to five
    My mind wonder, while my heart thrive
    For this beautiful girl, this lovely dame
    Who's out of my grasp, I cannot tame

Please be idle while I conjure a flask
    A flask of love, fit for cupid's task
    With this vile, your love will sway
    To my arms, to warm up my Friday.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Fire sauce is really good though. Taco Bell isn't Mexican anyway, so fire sauce is suffice for their particular brand of "food"

Taco Cabana's salsa bar is so heavenly. I love being able to sprinkle fresh onion, cilantro, salsa, lime, etc all over my entre.

Nothing like a ****load of fresh cilantro.

10. Fatty FatBastard

So here's a question for you: You lived in California for a while, so I'm sure you've had plenty of Cali-Mex, and obviously you've had Tex-Mex. What are the main differences? Is there a Taco Cabana type place that does Cali-Mex? Pros and cons of both? I'm curious because I've only briefly been to CA and have never tried it.

11. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am trying to figure out why anyone would want salsa from Taco Bell. You think it would be good and/or fresh?

Of course I have not eaten there since I was about 20 so what would I know?

12. Fatty FatBastard

The Mexican pizza is just awful. Easily one of the worst things at Taco Bell.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

In Cali, there really aren't many chains like Taco Cabana that are worth going to. You've got Taco Hell and Del Taco which is just a miserable excuse for cuisine. In my part of the state, there is an awesome small chain called Taco Loco which makes damn good authentic style Mexican.

Their secret is their home-made hot sauce, which is so ****ing good I'd kill to know the recipe. For me, I can't eat good Mexican unless it comes with good hot sauce. The food is already very tasty, but when you add the hot sauce it makes it damn near heavenly. That being said, their burritos are legendary and their fajitas with grilled onions are also amazing, but their tacos are greasy and lack the quality of some of the Tex-Mex I've tried out here.

There are also many subtle differences between the California and Texas brands of Mexican cuisine. Cali-Mex does not encorp a lot of queso. The first thing I noticed about Tex-Mex was the queso served with most everything. In California you usually go to a sit down place and you get chips and salsa. Depending on the place, the salsa can be really good. But its always just regular salsa. You don't get a choice of that awesome green sauce like you do with most Tex-Mex places.

I enjoy the variety and different techniques that come with Tex-mex, but I still have yet to find a place that measures up to Taco Loco back home. Admittedly, I am extremely biased to that place because of the hot sauce.

14. Fatty FatBastard

Interesting. I'll look them up and see if I have any suggestions. And, FYI, the 'green sauce" is relatively new at most places. For the most part, we just got a red sauce at most Tex-Mex restaurants back in the day, and green sauces vary WIDELY. As in Chuys has ranch in their green sauce, Adobe as avacados in theirs, most cheap taquerias are just a variation of limes and chiles. Pappasitos, which I think has the best salsa, still doesn't have a green sauce.

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The green sauce is an amazing invention.

Nothing like being able to have hot and spicy, and then rich and flavorful.

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

moes, you ever been to king taco out here? i go there once in a while but there is only like 1 or 2 things I can personally get, but all my other friends swear by it that its best chain place around in so cal. (i think there are only like 7-8 locations though)

17. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

This is VERY accurate. I could possibly kill someone for some Taco Cabana up here. Mexi-cali is nothing short of terrible if you've grown up in Texas. The main differences I've noticed:

Cali-Mex:
    they don't know what queso is
    runny tomatoey salsa
    no refried or black beans -> mainly just pinto
    guacamole seems to be the popular piece
    nobody here has ever heard of migas
    the term "breakfast taco" is non-existent
    mostly just a bunch of cilantros, onions, and other non-spicy condiments

Beautiful state, but this place is truly Tex-Mex hell.

18. Fatty FatBastard

Damn dude. Does Taco Loco have a website? I found one in Connecticut, one in Pittsburgh, and I even found a Taco Roco. But I don't see a Taco Loco in CA.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

not a lot of ground beef in cali-mex either.

20. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Have you checked Chula Vista?