1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tablets

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Grumbler, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Grumbler

Grumbler Member

so i am thinking about getting a tablet. thinking about an ipad mini or a good android device. as for android tablet, just wondering, how often does the manufacture update the OS? i know with my android phone, it stopped updating after a year or something like that. so i can't use newest OS. but for tablet, i want to be able to use the latest OS even 2 or 3 years down the road. is that possible?

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Nexus 7.

Gets updated directly by Google. Shouldn't stop getting updated until maybe many years down the line.

3. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nexus 7 with the sim card. $ 300.00. You can set it up with a data plan on ATT , Tmobile or even Simple and then put a phone on it with groove IP. The google applications are the best. You can root it with the nexus 7 toolkit and put additional hardware/software like beats audio on it. Perfect size to read a book or slip in a shoulder bag and take to google things or hit maps on the run. Fantastic device and cheap.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If you like keyboards, consider getting the $249.00 Samsung 11.6" Chromebook instead. For me, it blows tablets away.

Go to Best Buy and play with one for a few minutes before deciding.

5. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Go for an iPad 4. The best screen, best performance. I have iPad 3 and a Galaxy s3 phone with Jellybean. The Nexus 7 has a HOST of issues hardware-wise. Do a search. Jellybean may be the best Android OS, but it doesn't beat IOS 6 on the iPad.

7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Also, there Jellybean issues will the Nexus 7. Google has been better with phones, than tablets.

8. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Nexus if you want to save money, otherwise the answers for tablets will always be the iPad.

9. Mr. Clutch

Nexus 7 is perfect size IMO. Can hold and read with one hand.

I had a touch scroll issue but it was fixed with an update.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Nexus 7 is too small, might as well use your phone.

11. Grumbler

Grumbler Member

actually, i had ipad 1 before. currently have ipad 2 that my wife uses. already have android phone with 4.3 screen. the phone is too small and can't update OS. i feel that ipad is a bit too big for my taste. takes more effort to hold. so i am thinking about ipad mini versus nexus 7. leaning towards nexus 7 since it's cheaper and probably better than the ipad mini at least.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I bought my parents a Kindle HD for x-mas and it was really nice/ easy to use.

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Better how? Not the OS. Not in quality. Yes, the screen is slightly better resolution....but not much. The iPad mini battery life is incredible. I've heard too many problems with the Nexus 7. Too bad the mini will not get the Retina display until the next release (probably next September).

If your Nexus 7 has issues, good luck (Many are having issues). Google service is HORRIBLE.

14. Garner

Garner Member

Read: if you are as old as an '02 member's parents, the kindle is for you

15. Mr. Clutch

How's it going Tim Cook

16. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

The Nexus 10 is one fine device. I haven't had any real issues with it since I've had it. The only thing it's missing right now is a cellular data one, which I'm sure will be sold later.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Again...as I type this from a Galaxy S3 Android phone, The Ipad is the best tablets period. If you say anything else u are living with Apple hate.

I live in both ecosystems.....

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

What type of stuff do you want to do with it?

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I bought a Motorola Lapdock for my Razr and while a cool concept to run linux in "laptop mode", I just use my razr directly instead.

I have a macbook pro for work and I've been sticking to that for its nice real estate over my Jelly bean rooted touchpad, which has been holding up pretty well over time.

I would get a Macbook Air if it could run an IDE without choking, but that can be worth upto 10 Chromebooks. :eek:

tl;dr...depends on what you want to do with it.

Ecosystems...are you a spotted owl?

You either tolerate iOS or you don't. Those who don't like the freedom (anarchy?) provided by Android. Microsoft has it's own thing that could be very nice in a couple more years.

#20 Invisible Fan, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012