1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TABC Is Now Investigating Kung Fu Saloon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dachuda86, Jan 11, 2015.

1. ths balla

ths balla Member

Let me preface by saying I am half Colombian and half Arabic so I can attest to being a victim of these situations....I know a lot of club owners in Houston, most are of color themselves and none of them are racists but they make these racial discriminations at the door based on how the clientele have reacted over a number of years.

For example, a lot of high dollar spending people will become deterred from going to a club that wants to be looked at as "exclusive" and the new cool place, the more colored people are let in, not just black. The club will have a stigma put on it based on the "type" of people that are let in. When that exclusivity image is gone, things in turn become less stringent at the door.

From a business standpoint I understand the reasoning as sad as it is. "I can make more money, keep the image I want and last longer in the club business the longer I keep things stringent at the door." I also understand the racial and moral side of it and to me that just points to the overall view of society on race/color in general that has resulted in club owners having to even apply these disciminations.

2. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Sounds like the same argument used to discriminate against minorities from renting or purchasing a home in a white area. The clientele excuse doesn't hold water when it comes to housing discrimination so i don't see how this should be any different.

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Tell that to the blacks hanging out on the street corner playing dice or the brown folks catching a flight at the airport.

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Was V21 the small place behind the JiTB across from EL Ray? If so, this sucks! Every other Sunday I was there for the ribs grilled right out front. Never once had a problem there besides the "this white boy loves my ribs!" ****ing loved that guy but I can't remember his real name. I'm gonna miss that awesome grub.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Im not sure what the fixation is with that bar anyways. There are about a million bars in Houston, Dallas, and especially Austin and that place is always packed. Budinger was there about 4 times a damn week. Guess he douchey enough to get in.

6. conquistador#11

i've never felt comfortable at a bar or a club,always felt out of place. but i do know not to trust a guy in a blazer with his dress shirt tucked out and jeans like that doorman in the video. if that's not a dress code violation, i don't know what is.

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

No, it was what is now the defunct Chopping Block. You might be referring to the Rig, which was a non-authentic bar for roughnecks or the oil and gas crew, or whatever that dude was trying to do, become lesbian bar, become empty space.

8. aggie87

aggie87 Member

you guys do understand Indians, Asians, and Persians own many of the Washington St. clubs/lounges...

I went to Nox a year ago with a group of black friends and the minority owner asked me not to bring too many of them at once because it makes his customers feel uncomfortable.... that's all it is.... the customers don't want to be surrounded by a bunch of minorities... its all bottom line driven

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Well unfortunately for them, that's against the law whether the owners are white or not.

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Oh it's not white people being discriminatory and breaking laws established by the civil rights act and numerous constitutional law cases... Oh ok makes total since. I guess it is ok. Case closed...:rolleyes:

11. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Both of those properties cant keep a tenant if their life depended on it. The spot where The Rig used to be is absolutely terrible though.

12. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

White folks quick to call a place ghetto if they see too many minorities. Doesn't matter what it is.... Mall, movie theater, club, bar, restaurant, neighborhood, grocery store...

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Boy, these discussions about the merits and application of the civil rights act sure are productive.

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

About as productive as you posting on a basketball forum for entertainment when you get bored.

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Or predatory black guys filming yuppies' feet cause they couldn't get into a speakeasy.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Just put that hoe on yelp and slap 5 stars on it. They'll come back in droves.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

If that's the case, then it's even worse than I thought.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lifetime Fitness is at least 50% minorities. Not ghetto by anyone's definition. Texans' games, plenty of minorities, white people drive 50 miles from Katy to watch the games and fight in the parking lot in droves.

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Predatory? Speakeasy? Hahaha

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

If you think Kung Fu is racist, wait till you encounter those Gaslamp bastards on a Friday or Saturday night.