1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TABC Is Now Investigating Kung Fu Saloon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dachuda86, Jan 11, 2015.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

you're kidding yourself if you think it has absolutely nothing to do with race.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Money talks, bs walks.

A random white guy isn't getting into the second floor without paying.

#202 sammy, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  3. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

Maybe a white guy has to pay once in a while..but minorities pay all the time. You can't just say its not based on race because a couple of white people have paid.

The discrimation practice is so evident that HPD has barred police officers from working there.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, this thread is no place for an HR Dept -- I tell you what!

5. Indaface

Indaface Member

I went out with some buddies a few years ago to PubFiction. 2 white 1 black 2 hispanic. Our black friend wasn't allowed in because "his pants were too baggy", even though his pants were completely fine and one of our white friends was in a t-shirt shorts and flip flops and got in fine. Said white friend proceeded to berate the bouncer calling him out on letting him in so we left and I haven't given that place a cent since.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

That doesn't mean anything. In the end race definitely comes into play at that place. It happens all around not just there. It doesn't matter if a white guy has to pay or not, the minority behind him is going to have a more difficult time getting in for whatever bs reason that comes up. Cover, dress code, capacity whatever they can come up.

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

^I buy that. It's not an even playing field at some places.

Rule of thumb is to come with a female depending on where you wanna go. I had a hard time in Manhatton with my wife and a buddy. It's way easier down here.

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I've seen Donald Glover rejected by a doorman at a bar before in Austin. When I told the doorman and manager if they realized who they just rejected at the door they chased after Glover a block away trying to invite him back inside. I think that was the highlight of my trip to Austin.

9. ths balla

ths balla Member

My uncle is a club owner and he will tell you himself it has a lot to do with race. Society deems a place safer and more upscale when it has a more white crowd rather than a crowd of blacks/hispanics/asians. It sucks for him as a hispanic but to keep up that perception, some amount of racism is involved at the door.

When a club has to go to a latin night, asian night or black night, it means they have lost their white clientele.

Its not fair but blame society as a whole for the way they feel about an establishment based on the color of the people that go to it.

10. Amir's Johnson

My brother is part of the Vrsi group, and I still despise Houston clubs lol

1 person likes this.
  11. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

In my experience, the thing with this establishment is that they don't even attempt to hide their discrimination. I've been on line when I got charged a $20 fee to get in (dressed business casual or even a blazer) so I stepped to the side and said no thanks just in time to see the white dude behind me in shorts and flip-flops get in with no questions asked.

I've been in a handful of times and you're right nothing extraordinary about it. With the hassle of getting for non-whites I just avoid it and take my money somewhere else.

12. Cranberry_Juice

Let's be honest here, you're a latin guy that wears dynamo jerseys everyday. Of course I don't want you in my club.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

Update: Deputy Thomas Gilliland with the Harris County Sheriff's
    Office says effective today no deputy from their department will ever
    provide security to Gaslamp Bar in Midtown. This comes after
    allegations of racial discrimination against minorities who try and
    enter the business.
    Note: HPD has already said none of their officers are allowed to provide security at Gaslamp.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This happened to one of my friends who is a minority.

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I never do that; it's part of the reason why you get hired- you're trustworthy.

A thug is a thug- body language tells it all.

16. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Now, you're right.... That's what I get for evacuating Katy in the first place :(

17. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

I understand that this is the situation. I dont think the owner or door guys are being deliberately racist, I understand they are doing what they think will net them the most money. The problem is you cant just say "blame society" and go on with these practices.

I've been out to "trendy upscale" bars in most major cities in the US, and I can honestly say, Houston is one of the only cities where these practices are so widespread. Other cities have a much more diverse clientele and are still able to serve up $12+ drinks and be successful.

Maybe if these bars in Houston quit these practices and there are not bars which people can go to that only have predominately white clientele, society here will evolve and people here in Texas will accept they dont need to go to a bar with an all white clientele to "feel safe" and have fun.

For being such a big city, Houston is still years behind the other major cities in this respect....the good ol' boy society still exists.

18. NateNate

NateNate Member

Wonderful.

19. astros123

astros123 Member

you guys who say its not about race have no idea what theyre talking about no offense. Im very good friends with the ex door guy with the beard who use to work the front door and one of the main reasons he quit was he couldnt stand the racist ass owner! He would get b****ed at and yelled at for allowing to many blacks inside the club. The owner is a racist ass son of a b**** and the funny thing is hes ARAB HIM SELF!! Hes not even white!

My ex use to bartend there and she took a pic with a minority once and the owner came to her and said NOT TO TAKE PICTURES WITH MINORITES CUZ THEY'RE CHEAP TRASH AND NOT TO GIVE THEM HER TIME! She asked him why are they in then, and he said if it was his choice he would not let any color inside!!

I also know the owner of the lady who does all the entertainment there (Lady L Entertainment, IE Gogo dancing, entertainment) and she just dropped their account cuz they didnt want her having colored performers.

The owner is the biggest *$&% in the world and it has NOTHING to do with money here. Hes genuinely racist and hates people of color.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's common knowledge Houston is a racist city to out of towners. Go look at travel sites.