1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-shirt fans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mlwoo, Jan 20, 2011.

1. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Hello, Hangout. It's me, mlwoo.

I know this topic has been beat to death in many threads, including the 1393808th Vince Young thread that was just closed in the Houston Sports Forum, but I don't believe its had a thread of its own. Do T-shirt fans annoy you? To me, if you didn't go to the school, yet own gear and cheer for the evil empire of Texas, you are annoying.

You can argue that you've cheered for them since you were a kid and that your whole family went there, but you are t-shirt fan. You have every right to cheer for whoever the hell you want, but you are a t-shirt fan. I'm not telling you who to cheer for, but you are a t-shirt fan. You might as well cheer for the Yankees, Heat, Patriots, and Lakers, because you are t-shirt fan.

I am an Aggie and biased, but I wanted to see what fans of other over looked schools thought. Red Raiders? Gaylor? Other schools that get no love?

2. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Or maybe you went to a school that didn't have teams...
    Or maybe you don't like A&M, Tech, Baylor, etc...
    Or maybe you're just from Texas...

I don't think you can really compare this to liking the Yankees, Lakers, Patriots, etc. Not unless they're from Alaska and just like orange or something. This is a waste of bandwidth.

Plus you're implying that it's okay if they're "t-shirt fans" of A&M or Baylor, and so on. As long as the school is approved by you, and it's not UT? Get over it.

For the record: I don't like college sports.

3. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

People can root for whoever they want. However, what I do not abide is non-Alumni talking trash to alumni of other schools. Trash talking is reserved for alumni and alumni only.

4. LFE171

LFE171 Member

[​IMG]

JK. I graduated from UT a few years back, and I also hate t-shirt fans. My cousin is a huge Texas t-shirt fan, and I call him out on it. He obviously knows but doesn't care what I call him. It's the nature of it all though, just gotta accept it and move on.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I don't understand why anyone would root for a school they did not go to

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Perhaps they like the tradition. Perhaps they liked a particular player and then got hooked. Perhaps they like the coaches. Carrying your thought further, why should anyone root for a pro team outside the city they live in?

I don't understand why fans of teams care about the reason someone roots for a team. I don't root for UT, but I don't care that other folks root for them, regardless of their affiliation.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Fair or not, I imagine to a lot of people the reason they root for a team (and manner in which they do so) says something about their character.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

What position did you play while you were there? Or were you merely sitting in the stands decked out in cotton/nylon regalia which you purchased for the occasion?

1 person likes this.
  9. mlwoo

Touche.

10. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

Most of the Sports fans in the World are "bandwagoners", to get mad at those people is pointless and irrelevant honestly. Just walk outside and you see Yankees , Cowboys, Lakers ,Duke Bball,Red Wings,Famous European Soccer teams,etc....

Even when these teams are down , people tend to wear their gear because it seems "to be cool ".

11. mlwoo

If that was implied, it was unintentional. I suppose it would be easier for me to ignore if it was A&M. But if Baylor had a huge t-shirt following, that would annoy me as well. If I didn't go to A&M, I would probably be wearing whatever college shirt I did go to. Or a Rockets shirt.

My approval is not necessary. Just know that you are a t-shirt fan.

12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Hopefully the "you" is a general "you", otherwise I'm going to start questioning your literacy. You're a tshirt Rockets fan -- way to go.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It can be a regional thing. My Dad is a life-long OU fan because he grew up in small-town Oklahoma listening to those Bud Wilkenson teams roll over everyone on the radio with his Dad. He ended up going to Northeast Oklahoma something or other, but still pulls for OU now because of those childhood memories.

Perhaps it's different in a state that only has 1 or 2 high-profile schools instead of 5 or more like the state of Texas.

Like others have said, I do think it's a little weird to talk smack on behalf of a school you never went to - especially if the person you are talking smack to actually went to the school that you're talking smack about. That's totally different than just pulling for a school.

14. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Contributing Member

I got into a little fun argument yesterday with a friend of mine who is t-shirt Texas fan. He was trying to give me crap about the Aggies-Longhorns basketball score, and I said he had no room to even debate this or discuss this since he did not attend the school. I called him a t-shirt Texas fan which he seemed to not like. He said no I'm a real fan, been one my whole life, then he lifted his sleeve up exposing a Bivo tattoo on his arm. I said you're right, you're not a t-shirt Texas fan, you're a tattoo Texas fan. lol. The conversation ended there.

I think I saw a t-shirt at Aggieland Outfitters that read something like:

"If a person is wearing an A&M shirt they went to A&M. If you see a person wearing a Texas Shirt, they're going to Wal-Mart"

15. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

I think only Texas has t-shirt fans, thus makes the aggies super jealous.

honestly, who cares?

16. Summer Song Giver

I am a UH T Shirt fan, I didn't go to school there but have multiple hats and shirts. Can't really say I'm too educated about their sports programs either, just reppin my city, need some Rice gear too.

1 person likes this.
  17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I don't understand that either unless your city has no team.
    that makes more sense. It would also make sense if someone did not go to college and are rooting for their regional team.

18. aggie87

aggie87 Member

I think its stupid as hell to root for a University that you never attended, like the old saying goes, I root for the Aggies because I go to A&M, you root for Texas because you went to Walmart :grin:

19. aggie87

aggie87 Member

non Texas students rooting for Texas is just as bad as Houstonians rooting for Dallas teams like the Cowboys

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So, in your world, only Auburn alumni can be happy that "their" team won the BCS championship game?