1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-Rob Vs Jordan Hill

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Drawkwa22, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Drawkwa22

Drawkwa22 Member

Both top 10 picks (#5 and #8). Both came from dysfunctional/bad situations. Both have high upside. Both have underperformed...

Will T-Rob be another J-Hill?

I hope not, but what are your thoughts?

Side note, we got Jordan Hill as a "throw-in" in the trade with T-Mac that brought Kevin Martin here. . . ironically couple of years later, that's what gets us Harden. Good ol' Morey. . .

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Jordan Hill has underwhelmed for 3 years

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

You know, I still think Jordan Hill when healthy is a respectable bench big. That's not a terrible outcome from a #8 draft pick.

Anyway, I think T-Rob has Hill beat in explosiveness, agility, and running the court. He also has something Hill always lacked... a motor.

4. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

One of the biggest problems with Jordan Hill was that he didn't have motor. A lot of the times he looked lackadaisical on the court.

Lucky for us though, one of Robinson's biggest strengths coming out of the draft was his motor.

5. smr6

smr6 Member

Jordan Hill was a guy that was noted for his athleticism coming out of college. I never really saw and crazy athleticism from him in the NBA. He had a nice dunk from time-to-time, but never really saw him jump out of the gym or anything.

Robinson on the other hand has athleticism that you can see in his game. He scores a lot of his points so far off of alley-oops and putbacks. He knows how to go up and get the ball. If he can develop a more refined offensive game over the offseason working with Mchale he should be very impressive next year.

6. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

I don't think T-Rob has underachieved. He was in a toxic environment and was never given the minutes in the first place. Sactown is not good at developing their players.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Jordan Hill had a very poor feel for the game.

The dude must have led the league in giving opposing players And 1's.

Year in and year out.

8. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I thought about this, but one obvious adavantage for Robinson would have to be coordination. Bill was catching passes with his face and I've yet to hear a single word that leads me to believe that Robinson has that issue. Also, Robinson just appears more intelligent...

9. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I think you're talking about two totally different players.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Heck no. Hill was a project right from the start that should never have been drafted in the lottery. He wasn't nearly as athletic as people thought from a coordination standpoint, and had a bad motor when he first came in the league. Despite that, his biggest struggle was understanding the mental aspect of the game(defensive rotations, offensive schemes. etc.).

The ability to track the ball for rebounds was something that Hill had to be pushed into buying into. He always had the ability to be a good rebounder, but lacked the insticts, and the want.

T. Robinson is absolutely worthy of being a top pick because he has that athleticism and a high motor to be a contributor right now with what he brings to the table. Maybe not exactly Faried like, but should be pretty close.

People are going to love what this guy brings right away despite his flaws on the offensive end which are fairly minimal at this point of his career(trouble finishing at the rim on putbacks and has limited range).

Im not too worried about his lack of ability to finish around the rim right now. That's just an adjustment most dominant college post players go through. If Carl Landry and Paul Milsap(two smaller athletes) can finish around the rim as well they can with what they have in size, Im positive Robinson can make those adjustments with a little help for Carroll Dawson and Kevin McHale this Summer.

As long as this guy can stay on the floor by handing the mental aspect of the game(defensive rotations, offensive schemes, etc) I think he will contribute right away, and the fans will love what he brings to the table with his competitive nature, toughness, and high motor.

11. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Hill!! Stupid auto-correct

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Hustle. Jordan Hill didn't learn how to play hard until he got to te lakers.

TRob has been hustling since college

13. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

To another thing to add....

From a physical development stand point, Robinson and Hill are in two completely end's of the spectrum.

Robinson is built like a tank, with a chiseled frame combined with explosive leaping ability. Hill's frame on the other hand never really developed.

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah. The physical aspect of the two guys is just night and day. The only place Hill really has Robinson beat is a slight edge in height. Other than that, Robinson is better in every way.

15. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Jordan Hill didn't have a motor??

I thought he was very active.....just didn't know how to play basketball.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

His motor was off and on. He didn't give 100% every game, just some games. He also lacked toughness, which is part of motor in my opinion.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That's what you call a motor... some erratic play with fouling?
    He did some good but he was out of control sometimes and sometimes not even present

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

And a jump shot.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Not to mention jogging down the floor on fast breaks.

20. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

trob seems much more fluid as an athletic big than hill. that is something you cant teach. trob has an NBA body to boot..