1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-Mobile has really fallen off

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by slcrocket, Aug 19, 2011.

Tags:
  1. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Let me preface this rant by saying that I try to be as forgiving of service industries as I can, being that I have been employed in service industries for the majority of my work experience. And, in the same breath, I feel like I have treated all individuals with respect with regard to my recent issue with T-Mobile. But I am surprised at how far their service has fallen.

In my mind, it's clear that T-Mobile seems to have one of the least extensive collections of devices to choose from. That's okay with me, because in the past they have always seemed to have great service and I trusted them to take care of me if there were issues (which there have been in the past, but always just a few and they DID take care of me). But my recent experience suggests otherwise.

A while ago, I got the Blackberry Bold 9700. It worked pretty well for the first six months, but then it started having problems that deteriorated rapidly, so that I took it to the store and after a lot of time, they determined that it was defective and they issued me a replacement phone. I had to wait a few days for the replacement phone to arrive (during which time I had to fend for myself), but I was grateful that T-Mobile was taking care of things and I would soon have my new phone.

I got the new phone and it seemed to work fine, but for a shorter time - after 4 or 5 months, it started having the same issues. I again took it to the T-Mobile store and the gentleman there told me that the 9700s have had big issues, and that he himself had gone through four of them. However, I was told that my warranty on the phone had expired so I had no other options but to buy a new phone at their quasi-upgrade price or I was out of luck.

I have since confirmed with their "Customer Care" staff that they only warranty a replacement phone for 90 days, and then you're out of luck. I am four months away from my full upgrade period, but they weren't willing to budge there or to give me another crappy phone until that time. I also happen to be six months away from canceling my agreement outright, which I now plan to do.

It just sucks - I've been with T-Mobile for over seven years, and I expected better. I am in sales, and I need a phone I can depend on. My company moved to T-Mobile for all of our handhelds (a move misguidedly recommended by myself), but we will probably be changing direction there as well as soon as possible (I'm one of the main decision-makers on that kind of thing). My wife thinks I'm overreacting (maybe I am), but this just doesn't feel like what I came to expect from T-Mobile.

Anyone else had experiences with T-Mobile? AM I overreacting? And where should I go in six months (after I find some dinky phone online to last me six more months)?

/rant

2. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Next time don't get a Blackberry.

Was this a company phone or personal?

3. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

This was my personal phone.

And yes, I've now learned that Blackberry lesson.

4. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

You know, I hate to be rude but it seems like nowadays if a common user has a problem with a phone, they blame the carrier.

T-Mobile didn't make your defective phone, sorry man.

I personally despise T-Mobile, it's a horrible carrier with little to NO spectrum available, they continuously lie about unlimited data, their 4g (HSPA+, pshh) network is extremely spotty, their cell capacity has gone to hell because of all the users simultaneously using their network. Plus they lease to other MVNO'S and the network gets even worse.. Simple Mobile, Walmart Mobile, etc..

You could probably find a decent Blackberry replacement on Craigslist. I'm on Verizon but if you're not looking to not spend much, and need a decent insurance policy, get with Sprint.

5. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

T-Mobile constantly drops calls (at least half the time for me in midtown if I happen to be walking/moving) and their "unlimited" plan becomes limited by bandwidth after 2GB of data.

F**k 'em. I'm switching to Sprint if the Nexus Prime is on their network.

6. droxford

droxford Member

I was a customer with them before they were T-Mobile... and before they were Voicestream. I signed when they were Aerial.

And after all those years, I've learned that they have ZERO loyalty to existing, long-term customers. Such customers get no incentives or breaks AT ALL. All the attention and great deals only apply to new sing-up customers.

And blackberries are complete crap.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I've had great service from T-mobile and my HTC G2 has been great.

I have a blackberry curve like 3 years ago but the only thing I could complain about was the edge network.

8. Scionxa

Yup, like I stated earlier the cell capacity is probably the WORST in the industry. Plus, they use that weird 1700 3g spectrum or whatnot. Sprint is a decent carrier ,and if you're tech savvy enough you can root an Android phone, and force it to roam on VZW if you're ever in a low Spring signal area.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile back in September of 2010.

To get a handset compatible with their network, I sold my iPhone and bought a Samsung Galaxy S on craigslist (basically new in box), and I've been on a month to month plan ever since.

Just yesterday, the 3G on my phone stopped working. As in, if my phone was set to use anything but Edge, it wouldn't send/receive any calls/texts/data. So I took it to the T-Mobile store and they tinkered with it for me, replaced my SIM card, did a few other tricks, and then eventually just gave up and put in a service order. They said if it wasn't fixed by the end of the weekend I should "come back and get a replacement phone".

Now, I know this phone sure as hell doesn't have a warranty, but I don't think they can prove that it is a problem with the phone vs. a problem with their network for me. So I'm wondering if the fact that I'm a customer not on contract will influence their decision in how they handle my situation. So far they've been very helpful, but I can't help but think this is all leading up to "well, we can get you X phone for free with a 2-year contract," at which point I will LOL and then take my happy ass to Sprint.

10. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

T-Mobile has been going downhill ever since the AT&T merger talks began. Best to jump ship now.

*future Sprint customer at the end of this month*

11. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Right on the money

The carrier only supports if you make calls, get texts and get data on your device.

OEM/Manufacturer for devices are standard 1 year, regardless if you got a replacement. In most cases, if you get a replacement, its 1 year from your first one or 90 days after you receive your refurbished replacement, whichever is the later date.

btw, I'm the telecom business, and I hate when customers bicker about a refurbished phone when getting a warranty, its standard in the industry regardless if its a cell phone, TV, PC parts, or anything electronic. Yes you bought the phone new, but when it went out, its not new anymore. In most cases you better be happy you get a replacement and they have 1 year warranties. One thing also, carrier do you a favor and get you a replacement in less than a week, soimetime days with a refurbished and not make you send it to the manufacturer, have them look at it, fix it, then send it back to you in the matter of 2 weeks at earliest, most customers don't realize this.

/end rant of a telecom employer.....

12. Scionxa

Wow, those reps must be idiots. Did no one at that store ever think of sticking someone elses T-Mobile sim card in your phone to see if the same thing happens? lol.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm very surprised by your story and the OP. I have also been with T-Mobile for an extended period. Last year, they offered me a full upgrade 8 months ahead of time. Everybody knows about their poor coverage and spectrum, but I've stayed with them because of price and customer service.

14. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

You're doing it wrong. T-Mobile has a loyalty department, you just have to know what they are offering and call them yourself. If you go to a store, they'll treat you like anybody else.

Call their loyalty department and you'll get better deals. It is ALWAYS easier to get deals by calling. Over Christmas, the T-Mobile loyalty department were giving away free G2s if you extended your contract for 2 years. We missed the deadline by a few days, but since we wanted to sign up for a new contract anyway, they gave us 4 free G2s when we signed up for a better plan anyway.

Recently, they've been giving out free Sensations and G2x's. Call their loyalty department, threaten to cancel, might have to speak to a few reps, but you will get a better offer if you are persistent.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm thinking the closing argument AT&T can use now is T-Mobile will crumble if we don't complete the merger.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm with you. No way am I signing a contract with them until the dust settles on the AT&T merger.

Right now I'm just trying to decide whether I want to go to Sprint and get an HTC Evo (I don't want 4G, but unfortunately I don't think I have a choice), or whether I want to go back to an iPhone and try my luck with Verizon.

Sprint's data policy (unlimited data, free tethering, etc) and slightly lower prices are nice. But Verizon's network is obviously best and I definitely miss having an iPhone.

17. updawg

updawg Member

Lol, Didn't take AT&T long to screw them up.

18. Scionxa

Verizon's network is hands down the best, lots of spectrum, great cell capacity, they fix network issues pretty promptly. It can be a bit pricey though, but like the saying goes, "you get what you pay for". If you work somewhere, check with your HR department and see if you can get a cell phone discount.

I get a 19 percent VZW discount (even if it's your girlfriends/wife , it'll still work so long as you enter your discount online), and now im paying about $75 a month for VZW service, with unlimited minutes to any cell, 450 anytime (landline) minutes, nights/ weekends, UNLIMITED DATA (which you can no longer get unfortunately), and texting.

If you go with Sprint, wait for the Galaxy S 2 (Sprint Within) to come out.

1 person likes this.
  19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm so glad I'm with Verizon. I've replaced my Droid 5 times now since I bought it (the stupid keyboard keys always wear out), and not once have they given me any crap about it.

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

come on slrocket...don't leave me...

[​IMG]