1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-Mac's play since Yao came back...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by noize, Mar 22, 2007.

Tags:
  1. noize

noize Contributing Member

What happen to T-Mac's game since Yao came back? Its like he's reverting back to his old ways again when Yao is on the court, this time he's taking really bad shots. He is still being aggressive which is good, but his offense has taken a nose dive again. You guys think Yao is part of the reason and that he's still trying to adjust or he's just simply in another slump? He better be ready for the playoff b/c he's too good of a player to be in this position.

#1 noize, Mar 22, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  2. nuggien

nuggien Contributing Member

I guess winning is not enough...

3. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

It really concerns me

I think it all has to do with Tmac's personality

with Yao on the court, he becomes complacement and tries to just ride yao to a win

he doesnt want to waste too much energy to try to takeover games because he knows he doesnt have to ie he goes into a "deferring" state of mind

because he is a rhythm shooter, its very hard for him to be an effieicient scorer as such

lets just hope he can come big come crunch time

4. AstroMech

AstroMech Member

I am confident he will take his game to another level during the playoffs, so I am not that worried.

5. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

There's nothing wrong with T-mac. He was trying to penetrate, he got several layups and a reverse dunk. He had some nice assists inside to Hayes. He's just playing the way he played without Yao. When Yao's in the game, our offense would not be as fluid as without him. As a swing man, Tracy's game will look better without Yao, but will not be any different.

6. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

point
    counterpoint

have you looked at our winning record this month?

7. rockets fan

rockets fan Rookie

How many times do you guys need to be told that he's been in a slump since a couple games before the Allstar break.

Anyways, I think he's kind of looking ahead to the playoffs and coasting. But he better start taking in to the hole instead of throwing up clunkers with 18 left on the shot clock...

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I thought he was pretty aggressive tonight. Watching him blow by Prince a few times restored my confidence in his athleticism.

9. noize

noize Contributing Member

This thread has nothing to do with the win tonite(Awesome game by the way!), I'm just worried about him thats all...i'm sure other people feels the same.

10. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

IT TAKES FIVE!! :D

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7TMISIXL2Rk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7TMISIXL2Rk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

11. tsunami

tsunami Member

I noticed this as well. It's pretty weird. Actually I think our game plan hasn't been changed a lot after Yao came back. Right now we still play with a fast tempo, unlike the typical half court game before Yao got injured. That said, Yao actually adaptes this "new" (well, new to him) fast tempo game plan pretty well and he can catch up with the team's rhythm. But what's the problem with TMac?

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yao takes up a lot of space on the floor, particularly around the basket. That gives McGrady a little less freedom to operate.

I think another big factor is that when Yao was out, McGrady got a lot of touches early in the game to get himself into the flow. But with Yao, we generally try to get him really involved early on instead.

13. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Wow. 5 wins in a row. Mcgrady has 20 + points in each of those games and he's averaging about 9 assists in that stretch....What is there to worry about?

14. rocketsmetalspd

T-Mac is fine. With Yao back he is adjusting his game but it is a work in progress and T-Mac is smart enought to figure it out. The Rockets will be a tough team come playoff time.

15. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Yeah his FG % is decreasing which isn't good. His shot selection is also tougher. Im sure he will go hot soon.

16. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

He did have a few questionable clutch shots tonight, and he missed 2 FT's that weren't absolutely necessary but he should have made them.

However he did hit that big shot that probably ended up being the dagger.

I don't know, right now he's not shooting extremely well, but I'm confident that he'll step it up in the playoffs. He does need to get into a good rythym before heading into the playoffs though.

Oh well, we're winning which is good.

17. zazahan

zazahan Contributing Member

From http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?playerId=532.

He averages 23.4pts, 5.1reb, and 7.0ast in March, which are good numbers. But his FG% does drop a lot, only .373 now, compared to .430 this season. Maybe he is still adjusting?

18. benum

benum Member

relax, t-mac knows when to turn it on. as long as we are winning, it's good enough. it's good for him to save some energy for playoffs.

19. rockets fan

rockets fan Rookie

But the deke takes up a lot of space too. And his man doesn't even attempt to guad him half time, instead opts to shadow Tmac :confused: Can you pull up any stops to clarify exact how defenses are guarding Tmac differently since Yao's been back?

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

TMac's shot and shot selection have been off long before Yao came back. He has good games here and there FG%-wise, but it sometimes gets to the point I don't want him shooting. To his credit, he makes up for it by doing a lot of other things - key defensive plays, great passing, directing the offense at times, etc.