1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-mac's impact on the 22 win streak: fact of fiction?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dachuda86, Aug 30, 2009.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

It makes perfect sense and you and half the board are taking my comments out of context. I'm done making T-mac threads because it seems to only evoke wussy emotional responses from people. Go ahead and miss the entire point of the thread because T-mac was mentioned.

2. kenwonobi

kenwonobi Member

We need Tmac. End of story.

3. blink

blink Contributing Member

lol no one is taking your comments out of context. we are damn proud of our 22 win streak (because that's all we have).... and we are damn proud of the TEAM effort that was put into it. you can diss tmac all day long about his injuries and whatnot but dont belittle what our team did by singling out one person.... i mean yao was out too right? why didnt you name it "Yao's impact on the 22 win streak: fact or fiction?" because he's gonna be out next year too, along with tmac... which is the basis for your statements... "we dont need stars for next year"

4. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Just wow..

Who needs STARS? We can be just like the Sacramento Kings and dominate this league.. :rolleyes:

No seriously, I think you're missing the point here and what blink was saying. Simply put, we need "STARS" because they are impact players, can create their own shots, draw the defense, and create confusion to the opponent. That would lead to open shots for the "other" players that can't create. Just imagine if you had 5 guys running in your squad and no one knows how to create, you're lookin at man on man defense and bricks all day. They wont respect you period. We NEEDED Yao and Artest to get as far as we did last year. So...we advanced to the second round because of Yao Ming, Ron Artest and company. We pushed the Lakers to 7 without Yao because we overachieved. Nothin to do with MAC and not overrated at all.

5. motionsiknes

motionsiknes Member

You are absolutely cluess dude. Listen to Blink.

It's either you are fuming hate on Tmac or you made a really crappy and WRONG thread title to begin with. Either way, you have no idea what you are talking about.

But to answer your question, YES, tmac's had a great impact on the 22 win streak. Everybody in the roster had a impact.

6. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

7. thainfamouspie

thainfamouspie Contributing Member

So what exactly is the point of your thread? Because many of the responses are not just emotional ones, they state the obvious. Fan of him or not, Tracy was hands down the leader of the team that played incredible together during the streak, mainly because he was the focal point of most offensive plays. For those that remember the detailed gameplans, he actually moved fairly well without the ball, a lot of times coming off of elbow screens to either catch-and-shoot or penetrate, not just one-on-one isos. Plus, the other side of it was everyone around him stepped up their games, especially Rafer during a stretch. People moved the ball, and while most defenses honed on T-Mac, that created many open shots and easier plays for others. He may not have gotten all the assists or made all the plays, but his presence alone was the biggest factor. So combine a decently ran Adelman offense and incredible chemistry (they referred to us as the best locker room in the league) with a vicious defense anchored by Shane and Deke, and we rocked the league for 22 straight.

I think it's more of the fact that most people disagree with your statement that we'll be anywhere near as good as the team of the streak. And that's fine, you asked your question, stated your position, and for the most part, people responded properly and accordingly.

8. blink

blink Contributing Member

if youre trying to give the board an upbeat way of looking forward to the upcoming season, you did it poorly. one, for ignoring or belittling tmacs contribution to the 22 win streak and two, saying we dont need stars... which is a bit naive and, frankly, doesnt make any sense. we need stars but it'll be fun watching our players grow nevertheless.

no one here is expecting the rockets to do much and that's how it should be. nothing like over zealous fans that ruin it for the rest of us. enjoy what we have and dont think too much into it.

9. tdogg310

tdogg310 Member

If you are only looking at the scoring then you are probably right. B/c during that streak he played like he's going to have to play now. a play-maker who will emphasize more on getting his players open shots other than him trying to finish off a shot with a double team.

I can pretty much guarantee that with his lose of ppg during that steak he picked up more apg.

And yes T-mac had a huge influence on the steak.

I am really excited for this season b/c like previously stated, this team is very similar to that team except upgraded!!! i cant wait to see our entire team running up n down the floor while still having hard nosed defense on the other end.

I originally was pretty upset for the upcoming season, but right now i am really excited to see how we will perform. Go Rockets!!

10. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

The 2nd part of this quote is sig-worthy.
    Not to particularly offend the OP but this is a pretty lame thread.
    We've beaten the "how will T-mac play when he comes back" bit to death, and we've also had plenty of feel good threads promoting the upcoming season w/o stars (so to say).
    Tmac obviously played his part in the 22 win streak whether he made shots, or was double teamed and found the open man. The win streak needed all the players that we had at the time and their attitudes. All of them had something to contribute otherwise they wouldn't have put together such a long string of wins.

At present there is no way for anyone not named Daryl Morey to effectively evaluate what Tmac's exact contribution was to the win streak. But I'm sure he played his part.

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

The point of this thread is the OP's signature. Its push to get maximum effort and efficiency out of the non-star players, or those who are not considered stars but are actually as productive, by minimizing the effect of "star power" and boosting non-star power up.
    Houston Rockets star power might be indeed overrated. Star power as it applies to this particular team situation, something could be said of lack of star power effect. I think though that everyone sees the comment and is applying it universally, not just to the Rockets but to ALL teams.

80's Lakers, would they have had the same team success of instead of Magic Johnson they let Norm Nixon be the lead guard?

Are the Rockets working on something different and unique others havent considered of before? I would sure hope that they are, but remains to be seen. I think of football, baseball and basketball that basketball still is the sport that needs the star player catalyst the most.

12. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

well, let's look at the 22-game winning streak.

1) for sure we would not have won that minnesota game without tracy (he made 2 clutch shots in the last minute), which was the 4th game of the winning streak. nor would we have won the games v. the hornets, mavs, bobcats, and hawks where he literally carried the offensive load (most of that with yao out)

2) out of the 22 games, you can say he had 6 "poor" game scoring wise where he scored 15 points or less, and the one that stood out the most was the 22nd game v. the lakers

so he played either very good to great in 16 of the 21 games (he missed the first game of the streak v. the warriors)

his stats during the streak were: 22.1ppg, 6.2apg, 5.3rpg

his season stats were: 21.6pp, 5.1rpg, 5.9apg. so obviously he played "a little" better don't you think during the streak?

obviously with the talent we have now, we don't need for tracy to dominate as much (brooks and scola are legit 1-on-1 scorers themselves). however, what we really need from tracy is facilitating. so many games we saw artest tried to do that and it failed miserably. during the off games where tracy struggled to put the ball in the basket, he still usually got his 6-8 assists to help the team. so if tracy returns healthy, he'll only be an asset. a "healthy" tracy mcgrady is a great player to have.

13. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

No, Tracy did not do anything :rolleyes:

14. verse

verse Contributing Member

Ahhh. I see what you're doing you old sly dog, you. Haha! This is really a cleverly disguised thread to lure out the idiots who think TMac (the obvious main catalyst during most of the streak) was really unimportant during the streak. These people obviously didn't watch the games, or are just McG detractors looking to sully and belittle his talents at any cost. These people think we don't need him next year to be successful, though history (as recently as last year in the playoffs vs LA) has shown us that undertalented teams can rally together with an "us against the world" mentality and beat the odds for a short period of time. Over time, though, anyone with an ounce of sense knows that talent is a prerequisite to nba team success. To think stars are overrated and we don't need them next year to win is absolute lunacy yet they obviously believe it. Haha!!! You found a way to unify their efforts in a single, clever thread. Oh, you're a slick one....by golly, you're a slick one.

#34 verse, Aug 30, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  15. clos4life

clos4life Member

Yeah dude, we needed T-Mac. He had huge games along the way for the 22 win streak. However, so did everyone else. It was quite unreal and I remember watching it thinking "This is amazing!"

Anyways, I think people around this website ought to stop trying so hard to slam T-Mac. Like it or not, the man played for us many years at a super star level. Let the hate go people. Yes, he contributed big for us during the win streak and many other times. No amount of retconning will make the fact that T-Mac has been truly amazing at time go away.

You may not like him anymore but he is (when healthy) an absolutely amazing player.

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We needed Tmac, and Shane, and Luis, and Deke, and Rafer.

It was a complete team effort, and one player was not more valueable than another, that is why it was special...

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Soap box thread! We even needed Steve Novak for that streak. Whether TMac had a big impact on it isn't really a discussion.

It was because we had a team offense AND we had McGrady. We need both to succeed....................................................... duh?

18. McGreat1

McGreat1 Member

MR.DACHUDA, I do hope we could be a surprise this year...its gonna be interesting,i have faith in our players but i dont think im hoping for too much.The rockets have never been successful w/both superstars out for a prolonged period of time.Its an 82 game marathon and not like a very emotionally charged and motivated 7 games in round 2 last yr in the playoffs w/c kept their engines running.

w/ regards to the streak..its been a while so my memory is kinda vague but if my memory serves me right during that stretch YAO started the streak w/ the team and TMAC finished it.I think TMAC was sidelined when the streak started,YAO back then was on a tear putting up MVP numbers before falling to a broken foot.I think TMAC during the streak avg around 17-19ppg and had decent asst numbers and factor in his on court presence w/c draws defensive attention that gets open looks for others.This time around, at least until TMAC comes back we dont have that kind of threat or presence so its still a question mark to see how well we do against middle standard teams before we can even compare ourselves to the elite.So,exciting and interesting it is...and i do hope we could surprise the league.

GO ROCKETS...

19. AKO511

AKO511 Member

I have to agree with all the statements blink made, seriously, did you even watch any of the games we had during the streak? I mean t-mac was going crazy, but also the rest of team, Also, there is no way a team can win without stars on there team. Who would get to the free throw line? Who would hit the clutch shots? Who would create shots? Also, I think you were trying to belittle mcgrady, look just cuz of wat happen last year, doesn't mean that he didn't anything for us the previous years.

20. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Yao played for 12 games of the 22 game win streak if i'm not mistaken, but i

see waht your saying.