1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-mac's impact on the 22 win streak: fact of fiction?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dachuda86, Aug 30, 2009.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Out of curiosity I'm wondering just how much of the 22-win steak could be attributed to having T-mac v. having the Rockets play as a team with Adelman coaching. IF by chance T-mac's play wasn't the reason for the 22-win steak, then it could be interesting to take that into account.

With Yao out, the team would be in a similar situation... you know, everyone writing them off as usual because the visual big man is down. It won't have T-mac or Yao, but has that ever stopped the Rockets in the past? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the Rockets will shock the league this season with its up tempo ball despite Artest being gone, because now we've upgraded in that spot with Ariza.

The talent has fermented enough to where T-mac being out, or shaking off rust, will still leave the team in a similar situation as with the 22-win streak. Written off despite players developing more talent and the fact that Rockets basketball has been evolving with Rick here. I'm excited to say this year may prove to be the best yet. Fast, up-tempo ball with an emphasis on defense. I'm very excited. Yes, Yao is out, but he was a liability during the playoffs if you remember the horrible fronting issues. So perhaps this will work out for the team and for the better.

Also, the Rockets are where amazing happens. Always.

2. amaru

amaru Member

I think we'll have a surprising team.

But T-Mac def carried that win streak himself a couple games after he returned.

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

BUT has the talent been developed enough in other areas to make up for this lack of Mac power for the time being and until he's back in a lesser form and shaking off his rust? I think it has.

4. LeoUnot

LeoUnot Member

If I remember correctly, T-mac actually put up his worst stats in houston up to that point of time during the win streak.

5. saudirocketsfan

saudirocketsfan New Member

I don't know if you like it or not, but this team needs t-mac

I think t-mac is the missing part ,

and yes t-mac impact on the 22 win streak is a fact

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We have no wing capable of creating his own shot. I don't think either can average more than 16ppg max. We have no facilitator. Whatever wins we get will be because of the offense. But I don't think we will see very many. Its pretty easy to beat this Rockets lineup IMO. We will get by on nothing but grit and toughness.

7. amaru

amaru Member

This team is better than the time of that time.

But the competition in the conference is also alot better.

So idk.

8. blink

blink Contributing Member

first off. it was a team effort... so why try and belittle tmac by even making a thread about his impact being "fact or fiction"?

take what into account? this sentence makes no sense? take into account what MIGHT have happened if tmac was out? you need to clarify.

have you ever seen the rockets play without tmac or yao? even then, you cant compare because in the past, we didnt have ab0, von wafer (now gone), or carl landry. NO, we did not upgrade at "the spot" with ariza. if anything, it was a lateral move.

Rockets, where playing beyond their expectations because of team chemistry but never actually doing anything significant happens. Always.

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

is that how we got out of the second round?

I don't dislike Mac, but I think stars are overrated relics of the past used for marketing campaigns.

10. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

We wouldn't have beaten New Orleans the 2nd time if it weren't for T-Mac. He dropped 40 that night.

11. blink

sorry but you sound extremely r****ded. you want to call tmac overrated and point out the fact that we got out the second round without him.... but how can you neglect both yao and artest being there to help us... both being "stars"? dont diss one star player under one criteria while forgetting the other 2 we had. when we got out of the 1st round, i bet you werent calling yao or artest "overrated relics"

12. oal

oal Member

T-Mac played well, but Alston was also on fire (instead of doing his usual "Jack up lots of bad 3's and freaking fail) throughout most of the streak. Virtually everyone contributed, and it wasn't because of any one player.

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I'm not trying to belittle T-mac, I'm just saying we don't need him to win so why is everyone worried about this season? That's all I'm trying to say.

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Artest was horrible in the playoffs, he didn't show up offensively at all and couldn't match what Battier does against Kobe.

Yao was a liability during the series because of fronting.

STARS are over-rated. Not that they aren't good, but WAY over-rated

15. TMACFORMVP

TMACFORMVP Member

Code:
    @ IND - 19 points, 5 rebounds, 9 assists on 6-19
    @ MIL - 33 points, 11 rebounds, 6 assists on 14-27
    @ MIN - 26 points, 6 rebounds, 7 assists on 10-21
    CLE - 8 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists on 3-11
    ATL - 15 points, 4 rebounds, 8 assists on 5-14
    POR - 12 points, 4 rebounds, 6 assists on 6-15
    SAC - 10 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists on 3-12
    @ CLE - 17 points, 2 rebounds, 8 assists on 6-21
    MIA - 23 points, 3 rebounds, 10 assists on 8-19
    @ NOR - 34 points, 3 rebounds, 6 assists on 14-26
    CHI - 24 points, 4 rebounds, 8 assists on 7-13
    WAS - 11 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists on 6-15
    MEM - 25 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists on 10-18
    DEN - 22 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists on 10-21
    IND - 25 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists on 10-22
    @ DAL - 31 points, 3 rebounds, 9 assists on 13-23
    NOH - 41 points, 6 rebounds, 9 assists on 17-27
    NJN - 19 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists on 6-14
    @ ATL - 28 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists on 10-28
    CHA - 30 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists on 12-25
    LAL - 11 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists on 4-16
    22.0 points per game
    5.4 rebounds per game
    6.0 assists per game
    .442% from the floor (180/407)

It was a team effort, but it's clear who the catalyst of that run was. Those people that says he played poor was because they watch the nationally televised game against the Lakers and Celtics where T-Mac put up clunkers. Anyone that watched the entire streak knows McGrady's impact went beyond the stats as well.

16. blink

well you called tmac an overrated relic and boasted (essentially) about getting out the first round without tmac, along with creating a thread questioning tmacs influence on the 22 win streak (a streak that EVERYONE should agree was one huge huge team effort).......... i'd say youre dissing tmac.

anyway, im all for trading tmac at this point for something younger or better or both. then we can have all of clutchfans complain about him.

17. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

There was no single "cause" for the 22 game streak. Yao was on hand for the first part of it. T Mac was excellent. Rafer was playing like an all-star. Deke was a rock in the middle with Yao out. Scolandry and Battier brought it every night. Novak drilled a game winner. Bobby Jax had his moments. Hayes and Harris stepped up when Landry missed time.

That said, Yao's out. Tmac's out. Rafer's gone. Deke is retired. We've still got Battier and Scolandry, and Brooks has emerged as an offensive weapon, but we just don't have the weapons we had then on a defensive or offensive basis. Expect great things from our Rockets in the future, and expect maximum effort this season. We could even make the playoffs. But I wouldn't expect a repeat performance of the 2nd greatest winning streak of all time...

1 person likes this.
  18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Your screen name says it all. But yes, he put up some numbers. My question is this then... how much impact will he have off injury combined with the developed talent of the Rockets' players? It is an x-factor, but a good one at that.

I'm not trying to insult McGrady at all, just pointing out that the 22-win streak is a good measuring stick for a Yao-less Rockets and that a healthy debate over Mac's impact during said period is nice to have on this Web site.

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I didn't boast, I made a factual point that T-mac wasn't needed. AND I called all stars, not just Mac. I was referring to the concept of the star and his role. The T-mac influence thread was merely to promote debate, not to insult him. I'm sorry for the confusion here, because it wasn't my intention for you and others to jump to that flaming conclusion.

20. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

Trying to equate the win streak with the team not needing Tmac makes absolutely no sense. If you want to say the team didnt need Tmac to win why would you try to equate that to the streak? We won more games in a row then all but one team in history and you somehow think Tmac didnt have a big impact on that even though Yao missed half the streak?

You could have just said we didnt need Tmac because we got out of the first round without him and took the Lakers deep in the next series without him and without Yao for the last half of that.

In the end though, we all know this team has zero shot at a deep playoff run this year unless Tmac returns to form. Even then its unlikely unless David Anderson is far better then we all think.