1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-Mac's a shameless PR w****

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by gamer4Life, Feb 6, 2003.

1. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

I can't believe most of you guys fell for his PR stunt.

If he really wanted to give his spot for MJ, why did he notify the media? What's the point? Why not do what Iverson did and just call the man?

Because he's after PR. McGrady's always been a self-promoter. In his first year he boasts he'll win the slam-dunk competition. He wanted to escape Vince's shadow so he moved to Orlando. He blames the first-round exit to Charlotte on his teammates. When the team loses he blames his team.

For the Washington kid, yes it was a good thing to do. But did he really have to invite the cameras? How did he know the kid was a T-Mac fan? I watched the event on CNN and never heard about it...T-Mac must have his own PR people who look out for these things.

Putting Jordan on the spot by telling the media he'd give up his spot for Jordan was no less than a PR stunt. Jordan had to come up publicly and say no, instead of saying no in private to Iverson.

As for Vince, Jordan has never been nice to his fellow Tar-Heel. Vince asked Jordan for his ph # before a game, and Jordan refused and criticized Carter in the media for asking. Carter wanted MJ's ph # to invite him to go to his charity game or to practice during the summer. Besides, if Vince had given up his spot to Jordan, everyone would be thinking he did it for PR. At least we know that Vince does what he thinks is right, not because of how he feels the media will look at him.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Perhaps Jordan hadn't given McGrady his phone number :).

3. AGBee

AGBee Member

Gee, a reporter asked who the kid's favorite athlete was. The info was passed onto T-Mac, and he makes the kid's day. What an a-hole.

Oh yeah, he's also paying for some kids of soldiers who are going to the Middle East to go to All-Star weekend. What a freaking jerk!

4. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

Not a jerk because of that, but a PR w****. Don't kid yourself, McGrady is all about his image.

You've got some misinformation: Only 1 kid, his guest...arranged by his agent, and the idea was thought up by Jermaine O'Neal.

5. James23

James23 Member

Tmac does it ONE REASON that's to embarrass his so-called cousin vince carter, and carter is dumb enough not to offer jordan the starting position right after jordan was selected for the team.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Would you have liked 10 kids shot by the D.C. snipper?:rolleyes:

7. LLJ

LLJ Member

I'm not sure if VC is dumb to not offer his spot. As time goes on, I see people are becoming more and more split on this issue, and some fans are gaining respect for the fact that he stood up to the "Jordan is a God" phenomenon. He might get booed at the AS game, but I would not be surprised if a lot of VC supporters came out and cheered him. The media and the NBA has a Jordan fixation--today's fans don't.

8. verse

verse Contributing Member

if you are a player in the national basketball association and are not concerned about public relations you are an idiot...

that said, t-mac has more unwarranted "hatas" than anyone in the nba.

get

a

life.

9. skymaster187

skymaster187 Member

Jealous?
    T-mac is a stud!
    Next your gonna say he is an ahole for not signing autographs.

Yes it is true T-mac signs very little items so if you have one cosider yourself lucky.

I guess Bill Russell was an ahole too.

10. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

If you saw the piece ESPN did a few months back when T-MAC invited a victim of the snipers attacks to orlando for christmas. He made a tape for the kid and gave them tickets and several other things once he found out that the kids favorite player was him. He touched that kids life forever and they still keep in contact. If you saw that piece you wouldnt say anything bad and if you saw it and still bad mouth him your messed up

11. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

I think Carter has the most "unwarranted hatas". You must be a T-Mac groupie.

I didn't say T-Mac was an a-hole...just a PR w****.:rolleyes:

12. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

T-Mac was entirely right in placing the blame of the playoff loss on his team. He's only one man, what do you expect him to do? The rest of the team sucks. If the Magic had half the supporting cast that the Hornets do, they'd be Eastern Conference contenders.

And I have no problem with T-Mac doing things that are good for publicity. If you were doing something good, even if you were going to do it anyway, wouldn't you want people to know about it?

Yeah, good deeds should go unnoticed, but big deal. He does good things.

13. LLJ

LLJ Member

There are many players who do charity work without notifying the media. There are many players who've visited sick kids without notifying the media.

It's a double standard. Doing something good means you have to "get some" for yourself as well? I don't think so. Every year VC hosts a charity game in August for sick kids in which he plays in for 40 minutes but very few people outside of Toronto know about it.

Magic Johnson, Kareem and even Shaq do charity work on the side without telling people. You hear snippets here and there, but it's nothing that's done in a way that makes ESPN headlines.

14. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

Don't you see the irony in this?

McGrady leaves Toronto to have his own spotlight, despite the potential to be a great team....goes to Orlando and in the playoffs, criticizes his team publicly, without placing blame on himself.

Ok, forget the words, 'PR w****'....let's just say that his public image drives his actions more than it drives other players...

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

TMac should've called his teammates 50%. That's the Magic's salary cap after you take away his and Grant Hill's share.

TMac might be a PR w****, but he is doing charity.

The thing I found wrong was him going public and putting Carter in a bad light. It makes them both look bad in their own imperfect ways. They're not role models. They're human.

16. MagicFan

MagicFan Member

his first year was ike 97-98 and he wasnt in the dunk???

that iran brown stuff was played...
    i mean this kid was at the magic vs wizards game in Washingotn wearing an MJ jersey sitting in a delux suit!
    i doubt he was even a magic fan, all the jerseys, shoes and crap he got, i really think it was iran who was going for the stuff... hey i just got shot , oh did i mention tmac is my favorite basketball player???
    that kid i think was out for stuff...

Tracy Went Public and offered his spot 2 show his appreciation, MJ gave tmac a pair of signed gu shoes after his game here in orlando...
    Those 2 have the best respect for each other, and i think MJ respects tmac more than he does AI, Kobe, Vince... Those 3 are always trying to show MJ up.
    And about blaming his teammates, its so true tho! he scored over 30 the whole series! and with his strained back was still a bounce here and a non call here from going to the next round... yea he had a right 2 blame the team, cuz well the magic suck right now and they did last year 2...
    Tmac does all he can for this team and gets no help, i actually dont c tmac in a magic jersey in the future... Just my opinion...
    Tmac is anything but shameless... he takes care of his Brother Chance and he himself is now a father... so get ya facts strait first...

17. MagicFan

MagicFan Member

This is so not true! its a proven fact tmac is one of the nicest all star signers in the league... Him jermaine oneal, elton brand are all great signers... VC NEVER SIGNS... EVER, only way u get his sig is by buying packs of cards and hoping 2 pull one...Tmac if u see him or meet him, he'll gladly sign something for you, he does on the road, heck he even for 2 hours sat at a wal mart and signed just this year!?
    Tmac is the nicest they come, he even gives out his Wristbands after the games. and all his game worn shoes go 2 Charity...
    yea hes a reall ass:rolleyes:

18. MagicFan

MagicFan Member

and how tha hell can tmac put ANY blame on himself?
    for that playoff loss?? he was the only reason it went 4 games!
    Tmac does it all in orlando, no blame should be on him

19. skymaster187

skymaster187 Member

I have all 3 of his jerseys signed and framed....

Highschool, Raptors and Magic

I also have a pair of his shoes autographed in a glass case, my wife really loves this lol.

If T-mac see's that your a fan then yeah he will sign but if your a guy who looks like he wants to profit then he will indeed turn you away.

My collection is almot done all I need now is a Signed warmupsuit from all 3 teams and it will be complete.

T-MAC I WILL MOW YOUR YARD FOR LIFE IF YOU COME TO THE ROCKETS! LOL LOL LOL:D

20. MagicFan

MagicFan Member

lol how did u get all that??? bet u dont have 10 game used tmac wristbands that say "T1Mac" on them ;)
    lol naw sweet collection tho