1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[T-Mac] OKC squandering Paul George's talent....

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by photojoe, Apr 4, 2018.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

When Paul George leaves Russell Westbrook, on that very day. All year long Paul George to Lakers, Once he leaves to Rockets. Criticism of Paul George begins, Why did he leave to Rockets. The Great Russell Westbrook doesn't deserve that. These ESPN and Fox Sports will never get it.

2. jbasket

jbasket Member

You know what he needs? A strong, defensive minded center that is also a great offensive rebounder to perfectly complement his awful defense and shooting percentages.

Oh wait...

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Paul George's game actually reminds me a lot of TMac's. His mannerisms are almost identical. Makes sense that he'd back him.

4. MD_in_Training

Tmac at his prime was at least a couple levels above PG.

5. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

I'd be quite sad too if I was an NBA superstar that suddenly forgot how to shoot a basketball just before the playoffs started.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Tmac participated in NBA playoffs.

8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Tracy McGrady never got passed the 1st Round, Paul George got passed the 1st Round many times. Tracy McGrady goes on streaks, but also disappears in the playoffs. Paul George is always consistent in the playoffs.

9. bmelo

bmelo Member

Yall forget it's Yao who didn't show up in Playoffs not T-mac. T-mac had some Jordan-like numbers :)

But to the point - he is right. There is no playmaker on that team and since Westbrook handles the ball... PG and Melo won't catch their rhythm by just standing around. It's as much as rhythm as psychology, some guys needs to feel they are needed and OKC plays like it doesn't matter who plays alongisde Russel and Adams

roslolian likes this.
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

I had to check if this was an April Fools joke wtf

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Tmac's stats actually increase in the playoffs, its not his fault Yao Ming is always injured by playoff time and they always got matched up against Jazz with Williams, Boozer and Kirilenko who were all stars at the time. Getting out of the first round is a TEAM accomplishment not an individual one.

In terms of player accomplishment Tmac was way better than George he was one of the top wing players of his generation George will always be behind Lebron, KD, Kawhi, Greak Freak, now new guys like Sinmons better than him as well.

bmelo likes this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Are you serious?

I love Yao but he was the one who dragged Tmac down. Who was always injured by playoff so we had 48 yr old Mutombo manning the center?

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tmac maybe a boring analyst, but he's not just a gimmick like Stephen A and Max

Max is there just to antagonize Stephen A and Stephen A is there just to yell LOUDLY his opinion to get ratings

This is just further proof that the current generation of sports viewers fall for easy TV tricks

roslolian likes this.
  14. bmelo

bmelo Member

Actually he may be boring but drops knowledge when it's the topic he followed and not just respondin to a question that had to be asked. He had great bbiq and shows it as analyst

Swiss Roll likes this.
  15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Fore sure, he was definitely better than George in his prime. Just talking about his mannerisms and some elements of his game.

16. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I don't think anyone would disagree that his talents were squandered, but not necessarily because of him. He didn't have a stacked team like George does now. He never even had a decent team, George in Indy had a solid team with Hibbert West and Lance. Tmac had a bad body to start with (scoliosis) and degenerative injuries. His talent, like yaos, was squandered by the unlucky draw of injuries.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well in a way Tmac himself squandered his own talent. Yes he has scoliosis but if he treated his body like Kobe or even Lebron who spends 1M per year on fitness then maybe Tmac would've had a longer career.

Fact is Tmac was one of the laziest superstars I've seen, second only to Melo so in a way he did squander his talent by not maximizing it. But that is neither here nor there lol

tinman likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not familiar with Melo's practice regime but he had few injuries.

I dun think lazy is the word for Melo, more like 'less team oriented' e.g no real team player.

Sure, Tmac had the talent to be near Jordan's or Lebron's level but it did not work out.

But he also was no Olowokandi, Greg Oden or Anthony Bennett. Or the Dream Hasheem.

19. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

You don't think he had any say in
    Both of those assertions are speculation. How do you know how much he spent on his therapy and off season routines? All we see is results. Doesn't necessarily mean he didn't attempt to put in the necessary funds, time, and energy to rehab.

I'm not suggesting he was anywhere near the gym rat that Kobe and some other notables were, but who are you to say he was lazy? All you saw was his games. He sure wasn't lazy in the playoffs. He ALWAYS gave it his all in the playoffs.

Sure, it's partly his fault he didn't succeed. But there were numerous unlucky circumstances that prevented him from succeeding.

bmelo likes this.
  20. bmelo

bmelo Member

You dont go from 18yo 7th pick as defensive raw talent into one of the best offensive players ever with being lazy. I remember the year when Mac got athletically done.. it was Katrina year and he was in his best shape ever with new muscles on. He was ballin like he never was and his body didnt hold it up and just broke down. He went from ooping windmill in that game to making fans go wow if he even went for a dunk. After it hit him once that season it was backspasms or knee to the end of his career. Maybe his body couldnt hold up to all the extra work?

On the other hand it was beloved Yao who squandered his talent and his team chances by playing with broken foot at the olympics. All I remember from series with utah or mavs is tmac ballin and Yao geting fronted out of the game if he even played in the first place

Red.Glare likes this.