1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-Mac Jersey Retirement?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Wibie, Jun 21, 2015.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Much as I love Tmac....I don't think he stayed long enough (5 years?) and accomplished enough to get his jersey retired.

To me when you retire a player you should do it 2 ways:

1) if he is great enough (ex.Hakeem)
    2) If he stayed with the team long enough that his identity is with the team (ie Yao Ming, Allen Iverson, Bruce Bowen etc)

So personally I'd retire Steve Francis' jersey first before I retire Tmac even though I'm a tmac fanboy and I don't like Francis' game. But iirc this is all the org's call so w/e. If they want to retire Tmac's jersey then do so.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

Tracy "Man of Steel" MerGady.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They are entertaining me in some way, albeit not the healthiest way.

4. cml750

cml750 Member

Sorry, but T-Mac does not deserve to have his jersey retired. He did not do enough as a Rocket to deserve the honor. Yao fits in the same boat.

5. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

would be so embarrassing if we retired his jersey. i can see les doing it

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

One of the few ATG's who deserves to have his jersey retired at the Magic, the Rockets, the Spurs and the Sugarland Skeeters

7. MLLins

MLLins Member

Kill this thread. It's pointless. No one is ever going to agree on anything, it's just going to divide Rockets fans. Kill it.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think to have your Jersey retired you need two things:

1. to have played for many many years with the team.
    2. Some level of success and an overall positive time in the city

T-mac didn't play with us long enough in my opinion. Yao did. Neither of them really had much success though - which is unfortunate.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No to Tmac
    No to Francis
    Yes to Yao

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hey mcgrady lead the league in scoring with the magic .

When are they are going to retire his number?

Oh wait , they gave #1 to doug Christie, Rafer Alston, von wafer, and doron lamb.

Besides penny Hardaway was the only #1 to lead the magic anywhere.

Tmac fans know nothing about anything especially
    Tracy mcgrady

11. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

Got to love when people call McGrady a quitter. The same McGrady who played through injury at Utah without Yao and Alston - pushed the series to 6 games and dropped 40 points while the rest of his teammates did nothing in the elimination game.

He broke down. He didn't quit. "He had micro fracture surgery for fun" - said some guy who has 0 clinical knowledge on an internet forum.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

McGrady's teammates advanced past portland and took the lakers to 7 when tmac was in los Angeles predicting the lakers to win.

Mcgrady has a chance of getting his number retired when Benedict Arnold gets a holiday.

Oh yeah, he's a quiter. He told the magic and rockets management he wanted out.

It's been documented tofs

1 person likes this.
  13. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

You know tinman, for a so called Rockets fan - all you ever do on these boards is insult virtually every single Rockets team/player post Hakeem years. You don't post in any thread regarding the current team. You don't show any support for the current incarnation of the Rockets whatsoever.

You're the worst kind of fan.

Good job guy, you're a real fan.

http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/a5a/825/1d0/resized/twinperfect-thinks-you-re-a-r****d-meme-generator-i-m-a-true-fan-hates-all-but-the-first-2-games-dd7be3.jpg

I don't think McGrady deserves to have his jersey retired - that being said he was the best player on this team prior to the Harden years. He competed when he was healthy until his body broke down. You can hate on him for not living up to expectations or lasting as long as he could have but calling him a quitter is a stretch.

He's no Scottie Pippen. He made 3 all-nba teams/all-star teams as a Rocket. The guy was still a top tier player.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

15. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

The guy couldn't play anymore by that point. Good job, you point to one article - how about the 4 years of articles prior to that:

http://www.clutchfans.net/opponent_history.cfm?TeamID=6

James Harden is a good player, I said nothing about him. Why are you just randomly saying things that have no relation to anything that I've said and passing it off as a response.

We're talking about a guy who cried on national television after losing a series. He cared. He played as hard as he could until his body broke down.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Hindsight dude. Mcgrady kept telling people he was back and forced rick adelman to cater to him.

You don't remember the every other night off?

All the times to keep referring to if he had a shaq or tim Duncan.

He lost many series

Toyota center booed him in his returns with a different team.

It's related because Tmac fans feel the same way, if you are actually active in the current team you would have seen that horrible thread in the garm.

You could accuse me anything, i know the truth and what is real.
    Not what ifs.

I mean look at this thread. What rockets fan wants tmac number retired?

17. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Lol no. I would rather retire Battier's jersey than Tmacs.

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Absolutely not. He left on a sour note, never really achieved much of a legacy here, actively sabotaged the Rockets' ability to trade him, and picked AGAINST us in a playoff series where he was still a member of our team. Overall, my memories of T-Mac are good, but it's hard to get over the way he went out.

19. BleedsRocketRed

ONly at one point the most dominant player the Rockets had since Hakeem, lead us out of the first round, something nobody else since Hakeem could do (which we would have beat the Lakers had he been healthy), gave us every ounce of effort he had to a point where his body just broke down, and brought the Rockets on a global level to millions of fans around the world.

Yao without question deserves to have his jersey up there. Dude was everything we could ask for in a Rocket. He just couldn't stay healthy

20. cml750

cml750 Member

That is your opinion mine is different. You know what they say about opinions, everyone has one and they all stink. If Yao gets his jersey retired then Mc Grady deserves it too. My opinion does not mean I do not like or respect Yao, I just really do not think he deserves it for anything he did on the court but an argument could be made he deserves it for his Chinese connection.