1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-Mac down in every statistical category since last season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ehsan, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

I want to start by giving props to this team, because that's what it's really about. No doubt, I had my worries with a new coach and a very different rotation, but the team has excelled.

Which is why I bring up the following point:

Tracy McGrady has done this team no favors.

He is down in FG%, 3pt%, FT%, Reb, Asst, Asst/to, Steals, Points, FTA.

In some of them he's dipped a lot. In some he'd dipped less. But there is a SOLID drop in his stats.

Refuted arguments:

- "Takes less shots"... 0.9 less FGA's than last season on a poorer %.
    - "Passes the ball more"... In an offense that generates assists, he's dropped.
    - "Makes smart decisions".. Same FGA (% down), less 3's (% down), less FTA's (% down) which all means that he's taking more midrange shots and making less than before.

I want to make it absolutely clear that I'm not dissing him. I'm just making it absolutely clear that T-Mac has done nothing that we shouldn't expect of him. Recently, I cringe when he has a good game, because it means 10 stinker games to follow.

This team has won as a team. T-Mac has not led this team. T-Mac has not performed (overall) as well as any legit MVP candidates.

He has done enough so far. But all I'm saying is that for his salary and status, I'm expecting one hell of a playoff series to come from him, and it IS on him to deliver that much.

We get far too excited when T-Mac puts up a good 25 points. We tend to forget that we brought him here to average that, not give us a glimpse of it.

T-Mac, you're one of my favorite players. Show me that you've been restricting yourself for the playoffs. Show me that you still have another gear to kick it into. Don't allow me to fall into the mindset, like everyone else, where I'm pleasantly surprised when you have 25/5/5 on decent percentages. I still beleive.

2. Asian Sensation

All will be forgiven/forgotten if he gets out of the 1st round.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Didn't Rick Adelman say before the season that for the team to get better, McGrady's individual stats might have to drop. He said the same thing happened with Clyde Drexler, if I remember.

4. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

I don't care about his history. If WE get out of the first round, that's amazing. If T-Mac clearly leads this team there, I will be ecstatic.

But to make it simple, yes, if this team goes to the 2nd round on T-Mac's back, all will be forgotten.

5. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

yeah he isn't doing the rockets any favors. the rockets should have shut him down for the season a long time ago. i know we would have eclipsed the lakers consecutive win streak record if he wasn't holding this team back. :confused:

6. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

Again, for those who didn't get it:

T-Mac is not holding this team back. But he is not pushing them forward as much as he should be.

I would expect that his FGA's drop, but his percentages to stay the same or go up, with maybe more focus on things like defense, rebounding, steals, etc..

The truth is none of that has happened. T-Mac's job is not to not hold the team back. I hope that much is clear.

7. rocketshopeful

even if t-mac plays out of his mind, it won't mean anything if we dont get out of the first round. Someone besides tmac is going to have to step up huge in the playoffs..

8. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

The only stat that concerns me is T-Mac's FG% - 42.6 FG% & 30.3 3P%. Another below career shooting average season for T-Mac. T-Mac really needs to work at his shootings this season if he really means to win a championship.

9. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

If it weren't for him this team would not have won over 50 games this season. Something this team has now done three times since he's been here.

They had not done that since 1997.

10. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

and your point? yao's stats are all down from last year too if you look at it.

it's more of a team now. but tmac could be better with his consistency.

11. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

That analysis is purely statistical. If you watch the games, you can see the impact he has by looking at how much attention he draws on the offensive end. While this might not lead directly to assists, his presence helps open up the offense for others.

12. jboslett

jboslett Member

Nelly said it all.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

hhhmmmmm . .. interesting

Rocket River

14. Tracy McIverson

people who hate on t mac are r****ds and need to shut the **** up, we are 3 games out of first in the best western conference ever, all this without yao

15. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

the referees agree with ehsan. by the numbers, tmac is no longer a superstar allstar player in the nba.
    when he penetrates, he gets a call like 10% of the time. its ridiculous.

16. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I want to start by saying that I don't believe that Tmac is a selfish player. The guy seems to genuinely want to win with no regard for his own stats. He is the most willing passer at the SG position I can remember watching and happens to be the best "drive and kick" guy in the league.

The problem is that he has to dominate the ball to be in rhythm. If he isn't handling the ball the majority of the time and getting his own shot off his entire game suffers. Not sure why but that is the way it is. Look at how he plays when Yao goes down or when he is on a less talented team. Certainly, you expect more points from him and maybe more assists due to him having the ball so much but his shooting percentage and defensive intensity also get better. It has to be a mental issue for him because there is no reason for him to shoot worse and defend less when he should be getting easier shots and have more energy to expend on defense.

17. caneks

caneks Rookie

This one is good for the team. Actually I like to see more drop on his FGA. However, fewer FGA didn't lead to to a higher FG%. That is weird.

18. oneonepyopyo

oneonepyopyo Member

i think what u said is quite interesting and right. From my standpoint, he's done his best in spite of the drop of his stats.

19. YugoRocketsFan

Does it matter?

This is gonna be the most wins in a season for T-Mac :D

20. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Anybody notice we're missing our best player? our best post player?

That usually hurts all of the perimeter players' field goal percentages.

Tmac has certainly been worse than in past years but we all know he's been declining. If you're trying to insinuate that this team would even be in the playoffs without yao or tmac then you need to put down the pipe.

Yes we have won with team ball. No he isn't an mvp candidate but without yao he is the most important piece to this rockets team and he make more plays and scoring more than anyone else.

So, i don't know what you mean by 'favor' but yes he is a big help