1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SXSW

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by chievous minniefield, Feb 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

My buddy and I are looking into planning a SXSW trip this year.

As of today, tickets for the Music Conference are $700.

Anyone know any creative/less expensive ways around that? Or in general just a less expensive way to enjoy SXSW?

Gotta be some vets here.

We may end up still dropping the money, but I'm curious before we do to see whether there's a smarter approach.

2. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

the good shows are hard to get into, w or w/o a badge... your best bet is to hit up as many day shows as possible. those are always fun.

3. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Having hot female friends will open many doors. You and a dude.... not so much.

I ususally RSVP a ton of shows or show up early and pay.

...with a hot friend of course.

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

South By So What....nothing more than an excuse for industry personnel to party on the company dime. It is a shell of what it used to be.

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

This is the first time in 4 years I am going to miss this event. It is the highlight of my year every year. Just get a wristband for $129 and you will be set. You really don't need a badge for any music events. Check out the day shows on Wed, Thursday and Friday afternoon. The place gets really crowded on Friday night and Saturday, and by that time all the fun is over.

Also make sure to get a bicycle otherwise you will take 1 hour to walk from certain distant off 6 street locations. This is in regards to the free day shows. Official showcases are usually all on 6th street.

I read that Grizzly Bear is performing this year. Also check out Handsome Furs.

6. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Furry?

7. SWTsig

got a friend putting together some day shows and this was the lsit of bands he said he was targeting (not sure how successful he'll be, but it would be cool):

Black Angels, Octopus Project, White Denim, Strange Boys, HEALTH, Black Moth Super Rainbow, Black Joe Lewis, Dead Confederate, and Dan Auerbach

8. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Do Clutchfans memebers get in free?

9. Mr. Brightside

This lineup is similar to the GorillavsBear day party. Is your friend, Chris?

10. Festeral Otto

Festeral Otto Contributing Member

Get a wristband if you can but don't expect to be able to hop from bar to bar. You pretty much have to pick a venue and camp out. Shows last 45 minutes, so if you pick a good venue, you can see 5 or 6 bands and still have a great time if one or two suck.

Pay attention to the day shows and in stores. Most bands play at least twice....once for SXSW showcase and one more time somewhere else. A good place to watch for in-store schedules is The Austinist Nothing has been posted yet, but the word will be out soon on who is playing where.

Pay attention to the rumors....You'll hear stuff like, "OMG...the Beastie Boys are playing with the Who in the Jester Parking Garage!"..but you will also pick up some nice shows to see.

Hang out on South Congress. Lot's of music, half the attitude...this week only.

Don't judge a bar based on it's normal scene...during SXSW, seemingly dorky bars can have the best music and best vibe.

Ask photographers for advise on where to go...they spend their whole day running from venue to venue.

You will never be on the guest list...don't ever believe that you will.

Enjoy the crowds for what they are...if you don't like LA-types, this is not your event. If you can find the humor in seeing 5 dudes in lipstick and wrestling tights walking down the street together eating waffle fries...bring it. You'll find yourself having a blast...even if you miss out on the best music

11. SWTsig

no, his name is will... not sure who he's with but i'll check up on it

12. ac in austin

ac in austin Contributing Member

So the best way to see a show is to wait in line at that venue? I will only be able to make it to Austin on Saturday and am looking at attending the lineup at Parish. Do you have to have a wristband or badge or can you buy tickets at the door? Do you have to get there before the first act goes on or can you show up an hour before the act you want to see? I have always relied on friends who won't be attending this year to figure all this out and I am clueless.

13. Mr. Brightside

Are you looking to attend The Rosebuds or Ra Ra Riot at The Parish on Saturday? I think people will queue quite a bit for Ra Ra Riot before they take the stage at 1AM. Or are you looking to see the whole lineup starting at 8PM?

Your best bet would be arriving around 11PM at the venue, if you were just trying to catch Ra Ra Riot. They have been getting alot of buzz lately. I personally like The Rosebuds alot although their latest album was kinda disappointing.

14. ac in austin

ac in austin Contributing Member

What I really want is to see the Viloens at 10PM at Club DeVille and The Rosebuds at midnight at the Parish. Ra Ra Riot is a bonus since I will already be there for the Rosebuds. I like their new album but Night of Furies is one of my favorites. Love the Rosebuds in general. If I have to choose between the Violens and Rosebuds then it is Rosebuds. I just don't know how to go about getting in the door.

15. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I'm looking at BD Rileys on Friday the 20th. There is no wristband required, a "small entry fee" according to their website.

I'll be checking out the Akina Adderley set Friday night...

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Every bar is technically "no wristband required", but those with badges and wristbands get in first. If they get to capacity, you're screwed. And that "small entry fee" will be at least $20.

17. Mr. Brightside

I think you can get into both. The Rosebuds have played SXSW in 2007 as well, and none of their shows were filled to capacity. One of my favorite concert experiences was seeing The Rosebuds play in front of 25 people at The Proletariat in Houston the day before SXSW started back in 2007. They announced the show like with only 5 days notice. Ivan Howard, (the male lead in the band) is a big fan of Hakeem Olajuwon/NBA and he always mentions this story of how he saw Dream at Whole Foods many years ago.
    You can read about it on their blog.

http://therosebuds.blogspot.com/2007_06_01_archive.html

Did you know Justin Vernon of Bon Iver used to be the guitarist in The Rosebuds?

18. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I'm with the band...

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Then enjoy. Riley's is a cool little Irish pub...

20. SWTsig

"Thursday, March 19th, noon-6pm, Aces Lounge on 6th St. Free beer on us, these are the bands: Health, Hacienda, Strange Boys, Golden Triangle, Ume and Garotas Suecas are confirmed, looking at a few more plus a DJ."

really wish i could go :(