1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Swollen lymph node

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by haven, Dec 17, 2005.

1. haven

haven Member

No, I'm not relying on this forum for medical advice. I'm calling for a doctor's appointment monday morning. I'm kind of freaking out, though, so thought I'd ask around here to see if anyone's had a similar experience. There are forums about this, but those are self-selected.

I've got a slightly-smaller-than-marble sized swollen area in one of my armpits, around where my lymph node should be. It's painful, and the skin around it is swollen, so I'm really hoping it's just a folicle infection, or something. But it's been there for about 3 weeks, so I'm worried enough to go to the doctor.

I don't have any other symptoms that I'm aware of.

Anyone ever had something like this? What was it?

2. micah1j

micah1j Member

Oh No. I have a friend who had a grapefruit size swelling in that area. He lived but it was extremely painful when the cut it out.

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Never had any Lymph Node swelling but reading about it on several websites, which I am sure you have already done, it say's if it's an infection, the swelling could last 2-4 weeks.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It could be a sebaceous cyst...

so saith the Dr. :cool:

#4 Dr of Dunk, Dec 17, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  5. jcantu

jcantu Contributing Member

It's not a lymph node. Its most likely a infected follicle (like you said). Pretty common, especially if you work out. The best treatment is an I&D (incision and drainage), although some doctors may just use antibiotics and let it drain by itself. Does it have a head like a pimple a simple lancing will do the trick (by your doc, not you)?

I'm assuming you are relatively young, without diabetes and have never had anything like this before.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's probably some kind of infection. You're wise to get it checked out, but I'd be surprised if it's anything more serious than what's been suggested. I've had something like this happen when I had the flu, or something like that, but not in years. Infection sometimes moves around.

Good luck, and keep us informed. :)

7. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

yes. had the exact same thing (i think). good news is that they last no longer than four days to a week. bad news is that they come off and on, so you'll most likely have the problem again. hurts lifting your arm up and down. you can feel it while walking when your arm is swaying back and forth... is that it? i had a friend who was a doctor tell me (i'm sorry for the lack of info because it's been a while) that it has something to do with the lymph nodes. yeah... just a tad bit smaller than a marble.

8. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I had an infected hair follicle on my chest that I thought was a pimple the first time I felt it. I tried squeezing it - not a good idea. I think that made it spread and it hurt like hell, too. I'm not sure but I think an infected hair follicle is the same thing as a boil. Regardless you will have to get an antibiotic if that is what you really have. When I got mine, the thing went down immediately but you could still see where it was like a month later.

9. haven

haven Member

Thanks for the posts, guys. I needed a bit of reassurance, especially since I doubt I'll be able to get an appointment at the doctor's until after the holidays. Stupid MDs taking extended vacations...

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

"It might be a tumor". :D

Seriously, though, some antibiotic should bring it down. Usually the body swells a nymph node closest to the area of infection, so be glad it's not near the crotch. ;)

And you thought it was because you were a NYMPHo-maniac? Good idea, though.

11. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

There's a good chance it will kill you.

The good news? I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico.

12. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Agreed. You might be dying. :eek:

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you're really lucky it could be a bubo.

14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I've had swollen lymph nodes before behind my ear and in my neck. I'm still alive, though I'm walking a thin line.

15. haven

haven Member

Managed to get an appointment surprisingly quickly, because a new doctor had joined an established practice, and didn't yet have a full roster of patients.

My lump turned out to be a subcutaneous infection. Dr. said that a week or so on anti-biotics should kill it, but otherwise, I'll probably have minor surgery.

So, good news :).

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Congrats! Now you can relax for the holidays. :)

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Didja squeeze it and have white lotion-type goop come out??? That's what makes subcutaneous infections and sebaceous cysts SO FREAKING COOL!

19. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I heard everything you said. Sincerely,

[​IMG]