1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Switching from PC to Mac

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HR Dept, Jun 9, 2015.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Thanks, that's great to hear that the SSD will eventually become upgradable. Would getting that done down the line affect Apple Care at all. I'm about 90% sure I won't purchase Apple Care, but just wondering.

This makes a lot of sense, but boy are they selling that RAM at a premium. $200 for eight additional GB of RAM just feels like highway robbery to me. Especially when you're already paying around $1500 and can't wait until after the purchase to add more RAM later.

But this is what I'm signing up for I guess. I promised myself that I wouldn't finance it, even at 0% interest, and I also said that I won't dip into savings to get it either. So I still have at least another month or two before I have to make a decision.

2. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

The SSD can be swapped out easily enough, but it isn't a "supported" upgrade. If you break the seal and open the case yourself, you void Apple Care warranty.

Welcome to the world of Apple. When you buy into their ecosystem, you're agreeing to be bent over for extra cash... there is a reason they have $160 billion in cash available. They gouge their customers. Why do you think they have a proprietary cable when the rest of the world uses USB?

I've had tons of Apple products, and liked using them - I just refuse to pay extra now for something that shouldn't cost that much. They charge 4-5 times the price for hard drive and memory upgrades when compared to PC manufacturers, and they get away with it because they're Apple.

Other PC hardware manufacturers have "caught up" when it comes to build quality. You can now pay half the price and get twice the machine... and many of them can be Hackintoshed.

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Hackintosh is not the same...Just buy a mac.

I also run Parallels on my Macbook Pro. It allows you to run Windows in virtual machine. I do this because work has Exchange Server 2003 and the newer version of Outlook don't support 2003.

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Not even remotely true anymore. BAck in the 90s this was true, but Photoshop runs just as well on the PC side (so does Illustrator and Premiere). I use all three all the time on my Surface Pro 3 just fine, it's as fast as my friend's MBA with the same specs. Plus, unlike his air my SP3 has a better resolution on my monitor (at around roughly the same weight).

1 person likes this.
  5. Svpernaut

Agreed about the apps. The only reason to buy a Mac over PC when it comes to "apps" is the usage of Apple's own apps, like Logic and Final Cut. Every Adobe product runs the same on a $400 laptop as it does on a $1000 Macbook.

A lot of music folks got into the "Mac only" mode back in the 90s and early 00s due to Pro Tools. Well, Pro Tools has been available on Windows for over a decade now.

6. HR Dept

And still buggy as hell. To date, Pro Tools is the only program that took me an entire day to install and get going. Pro Tools is one of the best examples of software that just works better on Mac.

7. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

First, I'm glad Logic put in the folder stacks. It was such an annoyance to setup and route to busses all the time even just to try something out. I already had a template setup to make my main busses (drums, kicks, snares, bass, etc) but still tedious.

I personally love multitasking on a Mac, between the OS and trackpad it really flies. From programming to video editing, plus music production as a hobby I find it really useful. I never thought I'd ditch a mouse but I gave it a try for a week and never looked back.

The extra cost is worth it to me since I spend so much time on my computer from work to hobbies to just normal everyday stuff (web, email, etc). My last Mac lasted for 6-7 years and still works fine but I finally moved on to get a faster computer.

There are apps to get Windows features on OS X and vice versa, but ideally it's a much smoother and seamless experience if you don't need to cobble so many apps together.

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

And here I am content with my Chromebook as a secondary driver. :)

9. HR Dept

Yeah, track stacks makes arranging a breeze, and I'm already thinking about all the things I can pull off using it along with automation effects. Can't wait...

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Made the switch much for similar reasons as yourself. Things are much more in "sync" when you have iphones/ipads already.

Its also nice to not have random lags/slow-downs/hangups or just overall performance issues that PC's seem to suffer from after a year or two.

Haven't yet met a "road-block" as far as being unable to do something a PC could do... and with contacts, iMessage syncing, and photos organization, it would actually be tougher to switch back now.

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I switched from a PC to a Mac Book Pro 2 years ago. It still works flawlessly, no anti virus software, none of the issues I had using PCs. It was a great move for me. I can't see myself going back to a PC

12. Svpernaut

Huh? I've had ProTools installed for like 7 years on my PCs - zero issues. I don't have any controllers or anything, but I never had any issues installing.

If you aren't running anti-virus on your Mac you're gonna have a bad time, eventually. The whole "Macs don't get viruses" is complete hogwash.

Here's a story from last week - https://reverse.put.as/2015/05/29/t...r-mac-firmware-security-is-completely-broken/

13. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

thats true, Macs get viruses too. However, the vast majority of viruses are made for PC's, so Macs get viruses far less often. For the 2yrs I was on a dell at work, I contracted several viruses (oddly enough I got them from clutchfans threads). Our IT dept was not happy with me. Since I went back to a mac 5yrs ago, I haven't gotten one yet.

14. Svpernaut

All it takes is one, how many are targeted at PCs vs Macs doesn't matter. Just wait until you get hit with Ransomware, and assholes overseas hold your files hostage unless you pay $500.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You guys have been saying this **** for 10 years now.

16. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

But realistically he's right.

Its not AS likely, but it does happen. That being said, percentage-wise, you're better off with a mac if you are worried about viruses.

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

Well for 10 years now we all assumed OSX might gain a greater marketshare than less than 10%. :grin:

All joking aside, no platform is completely safe, and for me, I run without any major protection on my end because I wipe and clean install my PCs every couple of months. To each their own.

18. Svpernaut

Don't listen to me if you don't want to, it isn't like I do this for a living or anything :rolleyes:. I'm not saying this to be "Hey, Windows is just as good!" I'm saying it to save you a future headache. My point was to stop being negligent and just install an AV solution.

Basically I equate your attitude as a "I live in a nice neighborhood so I don't need to lock my door."

I know several people who have been infected on Mac OSX, it is getting far less rare - and browsing any number of security blogs and sites over the past few years easily show that. The guys writing this stuff are also getting better at exploiting cross-platform with exploits in Java, Flash, PDF Reader, etc.

Example, they write a "call home" script that provides a log - the log-check simply verifies the OS Type the system is running. It then sends the machine script "This machine is running Windows 6.1," so it sends the exploited files and a .bat to write a process, service or scheduled task. Or, it says "This machine is running OSX 10.9.5," so it sends an exploited .dmg file to kick-off a chain of events on a Mac.

Just as an FYI - if you connect to a cloud storage for your files (DropBox, OneDrive, etc), or an external drive your data isn't necessarily safe from ransomware and other threats.

#38 Svpernaut, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Oh yeah, I definitely take that into consideration as well. Luckily enough, MS broke sync thoroughly on OneDrive and Windows 10! :grin:

20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member