1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Swiss watch under $500?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by chow_yun_fat, Mar 17, 2015.

1. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

I don't have anything in mind, it's not for me. I have one watch that I paid over $1k for awhile back that I never wear. I wear it when I need to dress formal, otherwise it sits in a drawer.

Overall, there is some good information you guys are providing. Thanks.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Why is no one posting a picture of their watch on their wrist?

Is it because no one can afford both a nice watch *and* a cellphone with a nice camera on it, as well?

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

Cell phones are overrated. Always go with the watch and overpay.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I don't wear an expensive watch, I just wear a sign that says "Hey crackhead, I'm rich, come rob me" Chicks just fall all over me.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

FitBit Surge brehs. Costs $250 but I got it for $70 through my employer (if we are active to a certain point, our monthly premiums go down).

6. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

#26 BrieflySpeaking, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Same. I have this.

Good price, simple but refined

Ninja edit: Does anybody have a Motorola Watch? I think I want one after my Tissot bites the dust.

#27 DonnyMost, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  8. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Some lower level Raymond Weils get down to that price point. Fantastic watches.

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I roll with a rolex. I can sell you mine.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Is asking for a Swiss watch the right question? I feel like the design is what's most important. Swiss is such a... general filter.

11. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

12. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I have a Hamilton Khaki Officer, but my EDC watch these days is a Suunto Ambit3 (Finnish company btw).

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

This thread made me look around for another watch. I have several nice watches, and wanted something I could lose or break without batting an eyelash. This is what I just ended up ordering. For 50 bucks, it looks great.

[​IMG]

14. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

weird Uncle, eh?? Riiiiight....;)

15. chow_yun_fat

Did you read through the thread? I already have a nice watch, why would I downgrade?

16. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Is he looking for a dress watch or just a any type of swiss made watch? Sporty? etc? I'm a big watch guy and in the industry in some ways.

We could all getting into a show off contest if we wanted but that wouldn't be the greatest way to go about it. But if needed we can go that route lol

#36 Stack24, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  17. chow_yun_fat

He lives in asia and basically wants a watch to show off or brag about. I guess a dress watch would fit that criteria.

18. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

omega is your best option if he's in china, for whatever reason they're really popular over there... although it'll be difficult to find a nice/working omega under 500 (even vintage). you could try an older model longines maybe. if you must buy new then i stand by tissot or swiss army being the way to go at the $500 price point.

1 person likes this.
  19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If he's looking to show off and his friends know their brands then he better add more than just $500 to his budget. Tissot and Hamilton are reputable brands with off the shelf ETA swiss-made movements though you're going to have to delve into the gray market or ebay to get one with an automatic movement. A quartz one for $500 is not out of the question though why would you spend that much on a quartz?

If he wants to go 2nd hand or used, there are plenty of micro brands that give you bang for your buck. Steinhart, Raven/Benarus, Deep Blue, etc have diver watches that are in the $500 range used. These have the same ETA movements found in the Hamilton and Tissot.

If he doubles his budget to about a grand he can find an Omega Speedmaster Reduced for around that price used. A Tudor Prince Oysterdate (one with an ETA movement and Rolex casing/band) can be had for around the same price used. Other brands like Stowa, MKII, and Nomos are around this range.

Ultimately it depends on what he wants (style, features, movement, etc.). If he wants something to flash off to his friends and his friends knows their stuff then $500 ain't going to get him far. If they're doofuses then you can tell him to go buy a Gucci watch with a swiss Ronda or ETA movement and his friends will be none the wiser.

20. what

what Member

Tissot looks SO cheap and bland designs. Movado is the way to go.