1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Swimming to Shea Stadium?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Oct 25, 2004.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did Kerry lie to Red Sox fans?

http://weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/004/812xgkev.asp

--
    Kerry 's World Series History
    Did John Kerry attend Game Six of the 1986 World Series?
    by Michael Goldfarb

JOHN KERRY, in his grand effort to be all things to all people, has spent the last few weeks trying to convince people that he, too, is a sports junkie, a hardcore Red Sox fan, and devotee of the NFL. His missteps, such as lauding "Lambert Field" during a visit to Wisconsin in August, may prove catastrophic come November 2. This particular blunder spurred the Football Fans For Truth to action, and may be, to some extent, responsible for Wisconsin's seeming transition from blue to red-these people take their football very seriously. With the spotlight now focused on the Red Sox and their tragic World Series history, Football Fans For Truth is drawing attention to what might be another major league gaffe by John Kerry.

On October 25, 1986, the Boston Red Sox were facing off against the New York Mets in the sixth game of the World Series. With a three games to two lead over the Mets, the Sox had an opportunity, at long last, to bring a championship to a city which hadn't known victory since 1918. After blowing a two-run lead in the bottom of the 10th inning, first-baseman Bill Buckner let a ground-ball skip through his legs, and thus allowed the Mets Ray Knight to score the game's winning run. This infamous error was witnessed by none other than John Kerry, who on numerous occasions has claimed to have been seated at Shea Stadium that night, at a distance of no more than 30 yards from Buckner.

Unlike Kerry's disputed presence in Cambodia on December 25, 1969, his claim to have been a witness to one of the most infamous moments in Red Sox history should not have raised suspicion. But after claiming his favorite Red Sox player of all time was Eddie Yost, who never played a single game for the club, the research arm of Football Fans For Truth vigorously worked to verify Kerry's account of the event. The results of their investigation:

N.M. GOVERNOR DETAILS HIS STATE'S SUCCESS STORY Published on October 26, 1986 Author(s): Peter J. Howe, Globe Staff

New Mexico's governor, who holds the highest elected post of any Hispanic nationwide, and the head of the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination were given awards for political excellence last night by the Massachusetts Latino Democratic Committee.

More than 250 people--including Gov. Dukakis, US Sen. John Kerry and an array of state Cabinet members--attended the banquet at the World Trade Center in South Boston honoring Gov. Toney Anaya and Alex Rodriguez.

Football Fans For Truth notes that Senator Kerry's presence at Game 7 of the 1986 World Series can be confirmed by the UPI wire service. This leads to several questions. Could the Senator have confused the loss in game six with the loss in game seven? Was Buckner's error mis-seared into his memory just like his Cambodian Christmas? Did Senator Kerry perhaps hop a private jet after dinner in Boston, making it to Shea Stadium just in time for the tenth inning? Or is the Boston Globe perhaps at fault, having misreported the facts of the night in question?

Senator, Red Sox fans deserve the truth-did you or did you not root for the Mets on the night of October 25, 1986?

Michael Goldfarb is Staff Assistant at The Weekly Standard.

2. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

OMG, you're kidding. This is how you guys want to attack Kerry? Based on his recollations of a baseball game nearly 20 years ago?

You are starting to sound really, REALLY desperate.

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Once again, the Weekly Standard shows that it focuses on the real issues. I wouldn't use that snotrag to line a birdcage.

4. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Yes, I think he is.

5. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I would have seen it as a joke if the source was The Onion, but The Weekly Standard is (supposed to be) a relatively mainstream right-wing "news" source.

6. basso

Supporting Member

can't speak for the weekly standard; as for myself....kinda hard to tell w/o smilies, n'est ce pas?

7. basso

Supporting Member

well, this seems a little more serious to me;

Kerry at the second debate:

"I went to meet with the members of the Security Council in the week before we voted. I went to New York. I talked to all of them to find out how serious they were about really holding Saddam Hussein accountable.

I came away convinced that, if we worked at it, if we were ready to work and letting Hans Blix do his job and thoroughly go through the inspections, that if push came to shove, they'd be there with us."

and Kerry during a 2003 speech to the CFR:

"I sat with the French and British, Germans, with the entire Security Council, and we spent a couple of hours talking about what they saw as the path to a united front in order to be able to deal with Saddam Hussein"

and then, from today's Washington Times:

"Of the five ambassadors on the Security Council in 2002 who were reached directly for comment, four said they had never met Mr. Kerry. The four also said that no one who worked for their countries' U.N. missions had met with Mr. Kerry either.

The former ambassadors who said on the record they had never met Mr. Kerry included the representatives of Mexico, Colombia and Bulgaria. The ambassador of a fourth country gave a similar account on the condition that his country not be identified. "

http://www.opinionjournal.com/best/?id=110005804

8. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=1909344

Kerry in Boston, at Game 6 on same night

Despite doubts by watchdog groups about the logistics of being at two events at the same time, Sen. John Kerry did attend both a political banquet in Boston and Game 6 of the 1986 World Series in New York on the same night 18 years ago, according to the Democratic presidential candidate's senior campaign advisor.

In interviews with ESPN.com and ESPN The Magazine, Kerry recalled his sufferings as a Boston Red Sox fan as Bill Buckner failed to field a ground ball hit by Mookie Wilson with two outs in the 10th inning. The Mets rallied to win that game, 6-5, and Game 7 two nights later, extending Boston's World Series drought that followed its title in 1918.

"Do I believe in it?" Kerry said in response to a question about the Red Sox's supposed Curse of the Bambino. "No, but it certainly makes a powerful argument from time to time. I mean, I don't believe in curses, but I do think that we've been under a cloud here and there. I was 30 yards away from Billy Buckner in that famous Shea Stadium game in '86. So I've been there in the heartbreaks. And I was screaming at the television set when Grady [Little] did not pull Pedro [Martinez] out."

Web bloggers point to a Boston Globe article from Oct. 26, 1986, the day after Game 6 of the World Series, in which Kerry was noted to have attended the Massachusetts Latino Democratic Committee banquet the night before at the World Trade Center in South Boston.

"Sen. Kerry attended a public event in [Massachusetts] in the early evening and hopped a shuttle flight from Boston to NYC. [Kerry] got to Shea with the game in progress," Michael Meehan, Kerry's senior campaign advisor, wrote to ESPN.com in an e-mail. "Remember the Sox were up 3-2 so all of Red Sox Nation was planning for a Series win."

Kerry had also claimed to have run in the Boston Marathon in the late 1970s or early '80s, though no records of his finish exist. Meehan said Kerry ran the race unofficially "as a bandit." Running the race without a number was more commonplace 25 years ago than it is today.