1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Swift a Rocket!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AggieRocketFan96, Jul 18, 2005.

1. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Exactly. I'm amazed it went down how it did. I thought it would have to be a sign and trade for sure (where we'd also have to pick up another guy or two which isn't a good fit for us) and that we'd overpay Swift. When you think about it, it really is amazing that we didn't. Like 90% of players nowadays are getting vastly overpaid in the NBA and CD has a definite recent history of overpaying guys - that hasn't really happened since JVG has been here, though, so I'm grateful for him (for a whole lot of other reasons, too).

I was never high on Swift, but I'm actually more glad to see him sign than I thought I would be. I hope that potential he's got starts to pay dividends, and he shows that he was being held back in Memphis.

2. vunny1408

vunny1408 Contributing Member

Fegwu,

Weren't you adamant that we weren't going to get Swift. What was it 5% chance? :rolleyes:

Anyways, great addition. Maybe we can use Juwan Howard for trade bait or something

With Yao, Tmac, Swift in their mid 20s, we have our frontcourt solidified for the next decade!! hellh yeah!

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I fully agree :D.

Awesome signing, especially at this price. If we can actually sign Damon Stoudamire for little money, I see us as a serious contender. We could then still trade someone like Wesley and/or James for a bigger guard or so.

Any chance at all that we could get Korver? I'd like that...

4. fred futureStar

Gee, I sound like a genius or damn good point man. When the president calls you listen and give major consideration. When T Mac call answer 'when, where, and what time'.

5. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

I'll admit that Swift was not #1 on my wish list (I wanted SAR), but I still think it's a great move for the money. You can really see the pieces starting to come together for the future of this team, which is brighter than pretty much every team in the NBA. We have a great mix of young and old players with limited egos led by a tireless coach who has only thing on his mind: bringing a championship back to Houston. I see JVG molding Swift into a great role player at the 4 position in support of our 2 superstars a la Horace Grant. He doesn't need
    On a side note, I think it's ironic how we've now acquired 2 of the Grizzlies ill-fated #2 overall selections in their relatively brief existence for next to nothing. (Don't make me name the other one ;) )

6. fred futureStar

Next, Stoudamire at PG. Some of our guards will go. Probably Wesley, James, or both. Expect more substantial roster action as we start saving loose dollars for the third round playoff tix. Need more? I'll throw the juju bones one more time.

7. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

See the thing is with SAR he needs to get his points and needs the ball a lot more than Swift does and swift plays a lot better defense coming over the weakside which we need that SAR. I really think JVG wanted to make sure he got someone that is more of a role player that will give us the athetism we need as well as the defensive presense in the paint for a few years to come. Thats why i think he fits the system a bit more than SAR.

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

New Feigen article..same link works to this now

Swift heads to Rockets
    Power forward's agent says deal will come soon
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

The Rockets just could not take their eyes off Stromile Swift. His talents fit their needs. His potential excited their imaginations.

So they decided to pursue only one free agent, and Monday, they got him.

After 10 days in which the Rockets waited for his answer, Swift declared that he wanted to play for the Rockets, said Swift's agent, Andy Miller.

"He has decided to become a Houston Rocket," Miller said. "He's absolutely excited about playing with Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming. The Houston organization has been very consistent and adamant about getting him."

In Swift, 25, a 6-10 bundle of athleticism and unrealized potential, the Rockets get the sort of explosiveness they wanted between Yao and McGrady.

In five seasons with the Grizzlies, Swift has averaged nine points and five rebounds but never cracked the starting lineup while usually playing behind Pau Gasol.

Given his athletic abilities, and that he was the second player chosen in the 2000 draft out of LSU, he had been called an underachiever. But the Rockets viewed him as a player that needed the role they offered.

"That's real, real big for us," said McGrady, who worked to recruit Swift. "I'm going to do my best to turn him into an All-Star player, too. I'm very excited about it.

"I thought he was the guy we were missing. He'll add more depth, more athleticism. It's good to have him part of us. I think he has unbelievable talent. The best is about to come out of him."

Miller would not discuss the terms of the deal. But unless the Rockets can work out a sign-and-trade arrangement with the Grizzlies, which is unlikely, the Rockets can't offer more than the midlevel exception, expected to be worth $28 million to $32 million over five years.

Players cannot sign with teams until Friday, when the new collective bargaining agreement is expected to be completed and the financial formulas that dictate such contracts should become available. Miller and the Rockets will likely work out the details this week.

"He's very excited about the opportunity," Miller said. "It's a relief that the pressure is off. He feels that he did his homework, his due diligence, and that this is a great opportunity."

Known for his leaping ability, Swift has developed the sort of solid, midrange jump shot necessary when teams double-team Yao with big men or sink into the lane to cut off McGrady.

Swift's quickness and shot-blocking ability should help the Rockets' pick-and-roll and fast-break defense in which so many teams try to force Yao to run with smaller players.

But the Rockets will need Swift to improve on the boards and consistently play with high energy.

They also will have other moves to make. To that end, Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson met with former Portland guard Damon Stoudamire on Monday at Toyota Center.

The meeting was considered preliminary and casual, a source familiar with the talks said. The Rockets do have interest in adding Stoudamire's quickness, point guard skills and shooting touch to their backcourt and Stoudamire is interested in the Rockets.

With Swift likely to take the midlevel exception, the Rockets could offer Stoudamire only a salary-cap exception expected to be worth about $1.7 million.

Stoudamire, 31, who earned $12.5 million last season, is expected to receive offers considerably larger than the Rockets', particularly from the Cavaliers, a team under the cap and looking for a point guard.

But Monday, they got the player they wanted and happily turned their thoughts to the player they believe Swift can be.

"I think it's a great pickup," McGrady said. "Carroll and the organization did great. We're going to make him work, and we're going to make him feel at home and we're going to get on with winning."

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

9. walangjo

walangjo Member

whoa! i am a member of this forum for quite a while and i havent posted much. i just kept on reading comments by people. but id never let this pass.

i am so happy with the swift deal!

(its a great end to my day filled with confusion and problems about freaking love life. :( )

hahaha, good thing this news put a smile on my face again :D !

10. Matador

Matador Member

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/grizzlies/article/0,1426,MCA_475_3936860,00.html

Jerry West still has good things to say about Swift.

Swift headed to Rockets
    Forward will sign with Houston, agent says

By Ronald Tillery
    Contact
    July 19, 2005

Stromile Swift's five-year tenure with the Vancouver/Memphis Grizzlies, which seemed longer to him as well as others within the franchise, apparently has come to an end.

The 6-9 forward/center has agreed to join the Houston Rockets, according to his new agent, Andy Miller. Swift plans to sign a five-year deal worth between $28 and $32 million Friday when teams can begin to sign free agents.

Houston is over the salary cap and could offer only the mid-level exception, expected to pay around $5 million in the first year of the contract. Last summer, Swift turned down a deal, with then agent Mason Ashe, that would have averaged $8 million from the Grizzlies.

Swift, 25, became an unrestricted free agent following the 2004-05 season once he completed the five-year commitment on his rookie contract.

"I'm happy for him," Griz president Jerry West said. "Stromile earned the right to go where he wants to go. It gives him a chance for a different start. He's a good guy, and we want him to do well."

The opportunity to play with an All-Star frontcourt apparently swayed Swift after he visited the Rockets two weeks ago.

"He's very excited about the opportunity," Miller told the Houston Chronicle. "It's a relief that the pressure is off. He feels that he did his homework, his due diligence, and that this is a great opportunity, a great staff and great situation for him from this moment going forward. I think coach (Jeff) Van Gundy will be a great help to him. It's just a great opportunity all around."

Swift also was wooed by New Jersey. The Griz, meanwhile, will focus on trades involving guards Bonzi Wells and Earl Watson.

They weren't close to consummating any sign-and-trade scenarios with Swift.

"I'm very excited about it," McGrady told the Chronicle. "I think that he was the guy we were missing. He'll add more depth, more athleticism. It's good to have him as part of us. I think he has unbelievable talent. The best is about to come out of him."

During his time with the Grizzlies, Swift averaged nine points and five rebounds per game. He amassed career highs (11.8 points and 6.3 rebounds) in his second season.

The then-Vancouver Grizzlies made Swift the No. 2 overall pick in the 2000 NBA draft. Swift left after his sophomore season at LSU.

"He's a still young man. I'm hopeful his career will take off," West said. "Hopefully he'll have the success there that we hoped he'd have here. He's an enormously nice kid."

11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Nice one. I'd settle for JO #2... : )

12. The Hungarian Rocket

Swift worth the MLE. I'm very happy he's not overpayed.

Czechoslovakia is splitted in the early 90's. So there are two countries: Chech Republic & Slovakia. :rolleyes: So where's Tracy? :D

Maybe the journalist haven't seen any ice hockey world championships for ten years.

13. tigerforeveryoung

tigerforeveryoung Contributing Member

14. zazahan

zazahan Contributing Member

good news!

15. cenbo416

cenbo416 Contributing Member

What a front line for Rockets !!!

Yao 24 T-Mac 25 Swift 25

They can be growing up together for a long while and make one another better.

I am so glad that Swift chose Rings over money. This is a great character.

16. sime0n

sime0n Member

i'm impressed that he signed for such little money..then again SAR's deal with the nets is real cheap too

17. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

I said the same thing, but it feels GREAT to be WRONG

18. Stack24

Yup if your gonna eat crow at least let it be the good kind.

19. vunny1408

vunny1408 Contributing Member

How about this one? I think this deserves some consideration. :D

20. Stack24

I guess im keeping my stromile swift autographed rookie card i got for a bit longer..to think i was gonna chunk it away a while back.