1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Swearinger Gone?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TMAC3, May 11, 2015.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Not trying to derail the thread, but this was discussed. The thing is B'OB knew Andre wouldn't accept the reduced role and the Texans definitely wouldn't want his price tag with that reduced role. This was his way of making it Andre's faut

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Or it's one's fault.

BOB was honest with Andre about what his role would be and Andre was honest with BOB that he didn't want that role.

I don't know what the alternative would be for BOB to have done in that scenario.

As for this one, teams cut players all the time and news leaks quite often about what was going on. This isn't unique to BOB.

3. Mr. Clutch

I know, I'm just saying that with the stuff leaking it about Swearinger And Clowney its a bit of a pattern.

Not that I care if the team wins. Better than Kubiak never saying a bad thing about anyone and keeping bad players forever

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

Let's say:
    Raheem Moore > Kendrick Lewis
    Stevie Brown > DJ Swearinger
    Pleasant/Ballentine < Manning

That 3rd safety plays a lot of minutes and is an important position.

5. Mr. Clutch

Why don't we bring back Manning?

Still a fa

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

We certainly could, it's not like he's going to find much interest out there.

7. Mr. Clutch

Not to mention Chris Myers

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

What, exactly, is the pattern?... And who's the third player that fits whatever the pattern is?

As several others have noted: AJ confirmed the Texans offered him a reduced role; there's nothing unsubstantiated or unsourced about it. In Swearinger's case, we know *something's* up - you don't randomly release young, former high draft picks who play a position of need. Not wanting to play special teams seems like a reasonable excuse to get rid of him since it was obvious last year that he had slipped.

What tangible results came about from the Clowney rumors? What happened to give those claims added weight? They were just hot air in absence of any actual information.

So why do you care if they jettisoned another one of his busted draft picks?..... And why does that draft pick deserve some, I don't even know what you're arguing: some military funeral-like sendoff? He was terrible and he's gone. If anything, it's another nail in Smith's coffin.

#188 Hey Now!, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, some saw him as a huge loss when the Texans cut him, but there's a reason he's still a FA right now. The guy has been declining for a while now and not everyone wants a center that gets rag dolled so easily.

It makes me a bit nervous that we're going forward with Ben Jones who has limited snaps at center in the NFL, but I'm a lot more confident in his ability at this point than I would be of Myers'.....which is nuts because it wasn't that long ago that he was one of the better centers in the game.

NFL really does stand for Not For Long.

10. Mr. Clutch

Same thing happened with Winston. It's crazy

11. Mr. Clutch

I don't really care. I'm just saying there are rumours that swirl about that make exiting players look bad.

Other regimes just cut guys and move on without all this production.

12. Hey Now!

Let's be very clear: overcompensating for lack of actuall football skill does not make you exciting. DJ Swearinger is bad at football.

Look, if you want to be knee-jerk angry at the Texans, whatever. But you're basing it, at least in this instance, on absolutely nothing. There were no "rumors" surrounding Andre Johnson's release. And it's likely the Texans are leaking Swearinger info - but that wouldn't be wildly unprecendented; every professional team uses the media to confirm or leak information. Also, he deserves no respect - especially if the rumors are true. He's not good at football. If he's also a prima donna, good riddance. There's no wrong way to release guys like that...

Production? What production? You are so blowing this out of proportion and then sticking your fingers in your ear and refusing to hear anything that might counter a conclusion you drew a long time ago.

The Texans' SOP is the same SOP as every other organization. Or player - look at the Phillip Rivers situation: all sorts of leaks and rumors, likely fed by either Rivers' agent or the Chargers. It happens ALL THE TIME. You're just hyper-focused on the Texans.

13. Mr. Clutch

Wow. You're imaging a lot of things. No anger here.

And no, usually guys just get cut without all these rumors. Rivers is an impending free agent, not a guy about to get cut.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Wow people are losing it over a Youtube star?

Swearinger is a glorified Matt Barnes

15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I would love to put the rookie back their.

Our first rounder has great ball skills and is quick.

FS :)

Good thing im not the coach as I would explore too much.

16. Hey Now!

What rumors??? So far, there's one. And yes, when fairly prominent players get cut unexpectedly, rumors run rampant - to pin the Texans as being the exception is just silly. The NFL receives 24/7 coverage.

17. mick fry

mick fry Member

Jumped the tracks. :grin:

18. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I concur.
    At least Barnes has some discernible Basketball skills and can actually play defence.
    I've barely seen actual Football ability from Swearinger and one can probably count on one hand the amount of times he has actually made a proper tackle.

If he leaves, he leaves. Meh.

19. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

LZ did a reprise of DJ's truck shop on a mobile today on the MT show; best bit was him saying they wanted to find the truck and update it with a mural of DJ missing a tackle! :grin:

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

At least Shiloh Keo was willing to play special teams :rolleyes: