1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Susan G. Komen removes funding from Planned Parenthood

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by nef2005, Feb 3, 2012.

1. nef2005

nef2005 Member

I'm surprised there isn't already a thread about this. Apparently Susan G Komen has removed 16 of its 19 funding grants to Planned Parenthood (I believe Denver and two others will still be recieving funds) due to an investigation brought on by Rep. Cliff Sterns (R - FL).

Here are two of the many articles written so far:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0212/72328.html

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0212/72390.html

Do you believe this was the right move by Susan G Komen?

I would say this has been a disaster for thier brand, and will hurt them in the long run by shedding light on the fact that a very small percentage of thier funding actually goes to research. Nearly 77% of money they raise goes towards administration, marketing, overhead and salaries.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Komen has been a shell/joke of a charity for a long time, this is the final straw, really.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Breaking News: Komen charity reverses decision, says it will fund Planned Parenthood

And what is the lesson? Don't piss off a bunch of liberal women!

4. Hightop

Hightop Member

abortions > fighting breast cancer

5. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Except abortions is 3% of what Planned Parenthood does and is not what Susan G. Komen's funding goes to.

So that's 170,000 clinical breast exams and 6,400 mammograms over 5 years that will no longer happen. How many women will die because of SGK pulling its funding for political reasons? Probably many.

This isn't a surprise coming from SGK, though. They've sued other charities for using the pink ribbon and the phrase "for the cure," so they're basically run like any aggressive corporation.

6. Hightop

Hightop Member

Just having fun. Liberals just freak out about planned parenthood funding. That's all this was about.

But anyways, PP doesn't perform mammograms.

So why did Planned Parenthood lose funding? Brinker says it has to do with the fact that they do not provide mammograms to women, but only provide mammogram referrals. “It was nothing they were doing wrong,” she explained. “We have decided not to fund, whereever possible, pass-through grants. We were giving them money, they were sending women out for mammograms. What we would like to have are clinics where we can directly fund mammograms.”

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Planned Parenthood does some good things -- breast screenings, women's health, etc. However, you have to understand people who believe killing unborn babies is wrong will not approve of their organization, no matter how many good things they do. You can't say, well, but we're doing all these good things, too. That's like asking somebody to give money to Al Qaeda since they spend a lot of their time providing food for the poor in Pakistan.

They need to separate the part that pisses people off (killing unborn babies) from the good stuff they do.

1 person likes this.
  8. Depressio

True, but they provide a useful service to poor communities primarily: the breast exam that leads to a suggestion of a mammogram and a referral directly to somewhere to get it.

So what clinics are they redirecting this funding to? Are they as accessible to poor or uninsured women like Planned Parenthood is? Until they say exactly where the funding is being directed, it looks like a vapid excuse to cover the fact they pulled funding for political reasons.

9. Hightop

Hightop Member

How is it political? I really don't know much about this. It seems to me they were trying placate those who have a moral objection to abortion.

10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

You are a terrible person.

11. Depressio

... which is a political move. Stance on abortion is political, as far as I'm concerned.

12. Depressio

13. Hightop

Hightop Member

That's like saying anyone who is morally against the consumption of alcohol is a prohibitionist.

1 person likes this.
  14. Depressio

If you think drinking alcohol is wrong and you think no one should drink alcohol at all and are taking steps to try and enforce that then yes, you would be a prohibitionist.

As for whether SGK's move was political or not, here's an excerpt from their reversal statement:

It sounds like she's saying that they removed the funding because of what's in their policies, not because of political pressure... but their policies are not immune to politics, but they will be attempting to make them so. I am amused by this... it seems to boil down to something like: "We didn't do it because of politics, but because our policies which told us to do it because of politics!"

15. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Yeah... and their policy just so happened to be set by their new (pubbie) VP, Karen Handel *after* the bogus congressional investigation was launched (by a pubbie, big surprise).

Many of their corporate partners and donors are under similar investigations all the time, and that has apparently never been an issue at all -- reinforcing the idea that the "investigation" thing is a charade and this new policy is a convenient excuse to undercut PP.

16. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

As did they drop funding for several universities and other organizations under investigation?

Oops! Donny beat me to it!

17. Hightop

Hightop Member

But you have to assume that all who have a moral objection to abortion want to enforce and impose that view on others. I don't think that is true.

Anyways, I don't see how one organisation not funding another because they are under a congressional investigation is a direct political motive.

18. Hightop

Hightop Member

I will admit it sounds fishy but it must be hard to make all their donors happy, and encourage more. The left completely vilified them for this and that is crazy. We all know what this is really about.

19. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

SGK just wrote the book on commiting organizational suicide.

It's sad when religion and politics become more important than fighting breast cancer. NONE of the funds that SGK granted to PP ever went to abortions.

Komen is so delusional is to think that this was seen as non-political by everybody, even the anti-abortionists.

Not only have they pissed off pro-choice women, but they've now pissed off the anti-choice folk by reversing their decision. Stick a fork in them.

I'm sure all of us know somebody that has been affected by breast cancer. I don't care if you are pro-choice or pro-life, donate funds for research and screenings so ALL women can have the means for both early detection and treatment.

To those that think PP is evil, there's nothing to debate other than I hope you think long and hard about all the things they do.

20. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I'm thinking that embracing an anti-abortion pulpit might not be an astute business move when your donor demographic includes women's issues....why even throw yourself into this debate and distract from your stated purpose?