1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Surveying the wreckage. Lineup possibilites for 2005.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Xenon, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Drayton can afford an $110million payroll but we all know he won't spend that much. He is always whining about losing money but its hard to figure when the Astros draw over 3million, charge $15 to park your car, and $4.50 for a bottle Coke thats not even cold. If he won't go over a certain amount thats cool but he shouldn't make up lame excuses like losing money.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Braves Vault of Horror (2004) Beltran, Biggio, Bagwell, Berkman
    (every other year save 1995) the Padres...the Yankees...the Fish

3. Buck Turgidson

Are you serious?

I'll assume so...why would you want to do this?

4. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

if we get oswalt for 8-10 mil long term.. that would be a steal.. on the market he has to be worth more than that

5. Buck Turgidson

Don't do this.

6. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

hmm bagwell needs less than 60 hrs to break 500.. if he does stick around for rest of contract he s hould at least break 500 and be sure hall of famer

7. Summer Song Giver

Oswalt
    Clemens
    Pettite
    Miller
    Backe

Biggio
    Beltran
    Bagwell
    Berkman
    Lane
    Ensberg
    Everett
    Ausmus

8. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Max don't start because you know we can take up 10 pages with Astros vs Braves stuff :D

9. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Don't do what? Im not bashing him yet im just saying I don't want to hear anymore lies about losing money.

10. Buck Turgidson

The only people who in the past 3 years or so have mentioned the phrase "losing money" in association with the Astros are button punching monkeys that call 610 and post on the internet, not Astros management.

Don't be a monkey.

11. MadMax

i just think it's funny that as a braves fan, you would change your sig to smack on the astros less than a month after they punked your team from the playoffs!

12. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

What? I was pulling for the Astros. I went to game 3 against the Braves so your information is wrong. I like the Braves alot but when they play the Astros then of course im going for the local team. I also put the last 5 teams who have eliminated the Braves at home on my sig too. My sig is not bashing the Astros its just a fact. Smoltz killed them in 97, Brown set a playoff record for strikeouts in 98 against them, Weiss saved the series when he made that play and threw out Cammy at home, Chipper destroyed us in 01, and we all know what happend this year with Edmonds,Rolen, and Pujols.

13. MadMax

forgive me, then...i thought you were a braves fan.

14. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Dude I've seen quotes in the paper from McClane that said how much money he has lost since the team has moved to MMP. Why do you think its always a big debate on this site about him spending money. He said it plenty of times.

15. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Peter Gammons has a few news and notes about the Astros. Take them for what you want.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1909591

Phil Garner is virtually certain to remain in Houston, with some coaching staff changes.

Astros folks don't think Carlos Beltran is a New York kind of moment. They believe that the Cubs will make a huge run at the superstar center fielder.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Link, please. And, as a fan, you should also know that the owner's name is spelled McLane.

Thanks.

17. Buck Turgidson

To the best of my knowledge not once - not one single time - has Drayton claimed that the Astros have lost money since they moved into the BUS. Show me. You do hear talk of payroll constraints as related to revenue, budgets & other such sound business practices. As you should.

You say that the Astros "can afford a $110M payroll", but won't. Why? Then you go back and say "If he won't go over a certain amount [for fiscal reasons I assume] thats cool...". Huh?

You (or I) have no - none, zero, zilch, nada - idea of what the Astros payroll can or should be relative to their operational revenue & expenses. Neither does anyone who does not have access to their books. However, if you pay attention to the signs & signals coming out of Union Station, all things point to a heightened payroll next season, how much remains to be seen and is dependent on several things.

Because the average sports fan needs to b**** & moan about something, anything, regardless of whether there's any actual basis or justification for it.

Because it's easier to b**** & moan than it is to try and understand complex situations. Just look at all the frontrunning, after the fact, whining about personnel moves in the playoffs. There's no real attempt to answer the question "Why?", no desire to delve into the possible justifications. Decisions that are successful are obviously the right ones, and the ones that don't succeed, for whatever reason, are obviously wrong. Ridiculous, but such results-based critique is the nature of the average internet/radio sportsfan today.

Because people hear/read the same crap over and over and it becomes a mantra, and they have little desire to actually critique an issue on their own.

Don't just spout the typical nonsense. Think. That's all I'm trying to say.

18. MadMax

i wish i could fit all of that into my sig. that may be the best freaking post ever.

i could not agree more. the whole "i blame drayton and gerry for being too cheap or too inept to put together a winner" argument looked beyond dumb when the Astros were in game 7 of the NLCS.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

1 game away from the world series. Seriously. What is the problem. Everybody on this team deserves a chance to repeat the performance. You only breakup teams that can't get over the hump. This was our first time at the hump. We are peaking.

20. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Not only was it 1 game; it was 4 innings :)