1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Surround Sound System advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketshopeful, Dec 24, 2009.

1. rocketshopeful

Never bought a surround sound system, but plan to research so I don't make what I think would be a bone-headed Bose system purchase. Does anyone have any forums or websites that would be a good place to start looking at? Also, if you have any positive / negative experience with a particular brand of surround sound systems, please let me know as well.

Thanks.

2. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

3. rocketshopeful

Thanks will check it out..

4. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

5. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

http://www.hometheaterevolutions.com

Two friends of mine since elementary school started this business from scratch. I occasionally help them out in their showroom. They will be closed for the holidays, back open on Monday morning. If you call, ask for Scott, tell them Mark sent you.

6. rocketshopeful

I am in Austin... I imagine that could be an issue?

7. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Yeah they just work local to Houston. If you just wanted to buy the surround sound system equipment, they may be able to have it shipped directly to you, but I could understand if you wanted to deal with a local company. Were you going to install yourself or have it professionally done?

8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Vanns.com is pretty good. Free shipping and excellent return policies. They ususally have good prices on clearance and you can apply for 1 year financing (0% APR).

I would suggest avsforum like someone else suggested for review of the products and to gather information before you pull the trigger.

Also, dont be afraid to buy used stuff from folks there. They take very good care of their products.

Before you start, you will need to set a budget.

9. raj87

raj87 Member

Past instances in which I was considering upgrading my Hi-Fi system, I always chose to audition the equipment in my own entertainment room. I suggest you skip the subjective opinions of other men and women's impressions, and decide with your own sensory system.

If the local Hi-Fi concern in Austin does not allow you to conduct an in-home audiotion, then I suggest you phone other establishments that will cater to your needs.

10. rocketshopeful

Install myself. Figured it would be a good learning experience and can save some money.

Raj- noted on audition tip. makes alot of sense. thank you.