1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Surprising Rockets See Promising Future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pete Chilcutt, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

NY TIMES: Surprising Rockets See Promising Future

Nice read from the NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/21/sports/basketball/21rockets.html?scp=3&sq=rockets&st=cse

#1 Pete Chilcutt, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  2. petechillcutt

petechillcutt Member

3. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Good article, thanks for posting!

4. Rocket94-95

Rocket94-95 Member

5. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

More like, if we fail to recruit any big names, we can say we've been set all along.

6. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Morey has said they aren't going out and try to sign an UFA - because S&T's represent everyone's self-interest.

Donnie Walsh is betting that NY is a multi-millionaire's wet dream. And Morey's thinking he has the best hand to play at the table.

Standing pat may end up being the best thing for us.

7. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

I don't think the Rockets will be content with not going after a big name. I am sure Morey has a player or two in mind.

Like always we Trust our GM

8. acefan18

acefan18 Member

"For Kevin, we were willing to take ourselves out of the straight free-agent game.”

What homosexual free-agents are available this off-season? :confused:

9. HombreDeHierro

Tracy McGrady

oops :rolleyes:

10. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Pretty sure this was previously posted somewhere.

11. clos4life

clos4life Member

No one that I know off unless the Spurs buyout Jefferson.

12. acefan18

acefan18 Member

I lol'd

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think DM said a good point "We can be major players...if we want to". Just because you can get a player doesn't mean you do it without thinking. If the Raptors offers Bosh for Scola, Ariza, Brooks, Hill, the Knicks picks, our lottery pick and the right to swap picks with us next year then that's something we really have to think about first. Unless DM does his Jedi mind tricks again a max FA would cost a fortune to trade for, and unless its a clear cut upgrade I wouldn't be so keen about it. I mean, Scola has been beasting lately and Hill has been showing a lot promise. Add to that our lottery pick and IMHO its already a talent infusion comparable to getting a max FA considering we won't be losing any pieces.

14. pbnfamilia

pbnfamilia Member

Durant 2011
    book it

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I really like Morey, he was right, and I said as much about the hoarding of cap space in a crowded market.

We are very lucky to have him as the GM.

DD

16. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Durant is worth the max. He has a set of skills that are unique in a league with talented players. That tells you how good he is. And young to boot.

17. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

Since when BigZ played like an all star???? :confused: this guy has never had a 20-10 season.... I have no idea how he was chosen as an all star....

18. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

Morey is basically saying we're going after Dirk this offseason.

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Dude, why?!?!?!

This is at least the third separate thread in which I've seen you post the nonsensical notion that ANY team, let alone the Rockets, has a snowball's chance in hell of getting Kevin Durant out of Oklahoma City. I know that you've seen my (and others') responses regarding the nature of restricted free agency and how, as long as OKC is willing to pay the max for Durant (and they most definitely are), there is NO WAY that Durant can leave the Thunder in 2011, even if he wanted to. The only way he could leave is if he turned down a lucrative, multi-year deal in 2011, instead opted for OKC's one-year $7.9M qualifying offer, and then became an unrestricted free agent in 2012. That's 2012. And even that scenario is highly unlikely to play out.

Please give your Durant fantasy a rest. I love Durant as much as the next guy (hell, more even, since I'm also a UT alum), but he's not coming here. End of story.

Either you don't understand restricted free agency (in which case I hope that this sets things straight) or you do understand it and want to nevertheless throw out statements like "Durant in 2011" for no rationale reason (in which case you are only confusing those on this BBS who don't know any better).

Please stop. Just . . . just stop.

20. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

You basically just told him the equavalent of Santa Claus isn't real haha

But I agree with you