1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Surgeon general: No safe level of secondhand smoke

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Jun 27, 2006.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Maybe now Houston can pass that non-smoking in bars law like Dallas did. It's SO much nicer to go out to a bar and drink there in Dallas than it is here in Houston. Smokers are incredibly selfish in their desires to get a buzz or try to look cool at the expense of others' health.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/06/27/involuntary.smoking.ap/index.html

Surgeon general: No safe level of secondhand smoke

Tuesday, June 27, 2006; Posted: 10:38 a.m. EDT (14:38 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Separate smoking sections don't cut it: Only smoke-free buildings and public places truly protect nonsmokers from the hazards of breathing in other people's tobacco smoke, says a long-awaited surgeon general's report.

Some 126 million nonsmokers are exposed to secondhand smoke, what U.S. Surgeon General Richard Carmona repeatedly calls "involuntary smoking" that puts people at increased risk of death from lung cancer, heart disease and other illnesses.

Moreover, there is no risk-free level of exposure to someone else's drifting smoke, declares the report issued Tuesday -- a conclusion sure to fuel already growing efforts at public smoking bans nationwide. Fourteen states have passed what are considered comprehensive smoke-free workplace laws, those that include restaurants and bars.

But the surgeon general is especially concerned about young children who can't escape their parents' addiction in search of cleaner air: Just over one in five children is exposed to secondhand smoke at home, where workplace bans don't reach. Those children are at increased risk of SIDS, sudden infant death syndrome; lung infections such as pneumonia; ear infections; and more severe asthma. (Full story)

"Exposure to secondhand smoke remains an alarming public health hazard," Carmona said. "Nonsmokers need protection through the restriction of smoking in public places and workplaces" -- and by smokers voluntarily not puffing around children.

The report won't surprise doctors. It isn't a new study but a compilation of the best research on secondhand smoke, the most comprehensive federal probe since the last surgeon general's report on the topic in 1986, which declared secondhand smoke a cause of lung cancer in nonsmokers.

Since then, numerous other health agencies have linked to secondhand smoke to heart disease and other illnesses. Earlier this year, California health officials estimated that secondhand smoke kills about 3,400 nonsmoking Americans annually from lung cancer, 46,000 from heart disease, and 430 from SIDS.

The new surgeon general's report doesn't retally the deaths, but it cites that toll.

The tobacco industry and some businesses, particularly restaurant and bar owners concerned about loss of smoking customers, have challenged some of the broadest public smoking bans in cities and states.

The new report gives new scientific ammunition against those challenges, said Matthew Myers of the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids.

"There is no longer a scientific controversy that secondhand smoke is a killer," he said. The report "eliminates any excuse from any state or city for taking halfway measures to restrict smoking, or permitting smoking in any indoor workplace."

Among other findings:

# Separating smokers from nonsmokers, cleaning the air and ventilation systems don't eliminate exposure to secondhand smoke.

# There is good evidence that comprehensive smoking bans, such as those in New York City and Boston, don't economically hurt the hospitality industry.

# Workplace smoking restrictions not only reduce secondhand smoke but also discourage active smoking by employees.

# Secondhand smoke can act on the arteries so quickly that even a brief pass through someone else's smoke can endanger people at high risk of heart disease. Don't ever smoke around a sick relative, Carmona advised

# Living with a smoker increases a nonsmoker's risk of lung cancer and heart disease by up to 30 percent.

# There isn't proof that secondhand smoke causes breast cancer, although the evidence is suggestive. California earlier this year cited that link in becoming the first state to declare secondhand smoke a toxic air pollutant.

# On the plus side, blood measurements of a nicotine byproduct show that exposure to secondhand smoke has decreased. Levels dropped by 75 percent in adults and 68 percent in children between the early 1990s and 2002. However, not only has children's exposure declined less rapidly, but levels of that byproduct among children are more than twice as high as in nonsmoking adults.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

has anyone died of second hand smoke? I mean the article says its a killer but has there ever been a case of it. I'm sure that would totally ruin the tabacco industry.

3. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Maybe if you lived with a chimney, chain smoker. I'm sure it isn't healthy for you or children if there is prolonged exposure. On the other hand, just living life will eventually kill you.

4. bigtexxx

Did you not read the article? It said that second hand smoke was linked to heart disease and lung cancer, which are two of the biggest causes of death in the US.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

okay, it does have specific numbers in there. I'm just surprised that if there was a case proven that someone died from second hand smoke it wouldn't be a bigger issue.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

agree with the report or not, this is the way it's going. and this report will be hugely influential in affecting change.

7. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

Why not just let the bar owners decide?

8. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

FOR THE LAST TIME, WE CAN HAVE SMOKING BARS AND NON-SMOKING BARS.

Freedom of Choice!

9. MadMax

i don't believe you. it won't be the last time. :)

10. bigtexxx

Why not let bar owners decide whether or not patrons can carry guns into bars?

11. underoverup

underoverup Member

i hate smokey bars, c'mon houston make the change people can go on patios and smoke if they want or out front. :cool:

12. MadMax

in all seriousness, this isn't even an argument any more. it's going to happen. white indicated as much the last time around. fueled off this report?? forget it. it's going to change no matter the debate at this point.

13. MR. MEOWGI

So you are for banning all firearms in all public places too?

14. MR. MEOWGI

bye bye liberty.

15. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

As a smoker, that's all I ask. It's not as bad down here or in CA when you have to smoke outside, but in towns with rough winters it's really hard to be a smoker and it's nearly impossible to be a smoker and enjoy going out. I don't want to smoke around non-smokers. Apart from the health issues (and I believe they are real), nothing bothers a non-smoker like smoke. All I ask is that in as few as 1% of all bars you could have a beer and a cigarette at the same time. Apart from that, I'm fine with any ban they want to pass.

16. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

If a business owner determines that more people agree with you Bigtexxx and that its in their best financial interest to ban smoking, don't you think they would ban it?

To use a blanket and not let business owners determine whether to or not is simply wrong. I don't smoke and I prefer not to smell like smoke when I leave a bar. I would love it if some places I go would ban smoking, but its not the governments job to enfore this. I let the bar owner know this and if he believes that he will get more of my business and people like me then he will do it, otherwise the smokers will win.

Its ironic that we sit here and talk about this being the land of freedom, and how oppressed places around the world and Latin America is, yet I can go to a bar and have a drink till 7 am and have a cigarette if I like in Mexico or Brazil, yet I can't do it here.

17. MR. MEOWGI

Don't talk about freedom here.

18. bigtexxx

lol hardly. Hello safety and health. Goodbye selfishness of smokers.

19. MR. MEOWGI

I said you can have your non-smoking bars too you stupid moron.

20. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I don't think that's entirely fair. Non-smokers ought to have the liberty to have a drink without being bothered (or damaged) by smoke. They've put up with an unfair situation for a long time, they need a remedy and they will have it. I just wish it was ever so slightly less extreme. Give us five bars out of a thousand, give us even one, where we can smoke and drink and ban it everywhere else. I'd even be okay with not allowing any live entertainment at the one or two smoking bars so that non-smokers would never have to choose between missing a band they liked and being around smoke. But there are ones of us for whom all we want to do when we go out is drink a beer and smoke a cigarette. Give us the smallest options and I'll support the bans entirely.