1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sura update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hooroo, Feb 24, 2007.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=180970

2. Pocket Rockets

i will miss him

3. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

Not surprising but it's still sad to see in writing. I wish him the best in retirement.

4. rocketsmetalspd

Good luck to Sura. I hope he can end up helping out the Rockets as an assistant coach or something else.

5. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

He only played for us for part of one season and I am sure if the Rox had 20/20 hindsight they would have never signed him.

6. liu1107

liu1107 Contributing Member

does NBA player get money for their "retirement??

7. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

If he's getting paid all that money, the least he could do is sit on the bench and give some support, encouragement and a veteran presence to our team :)

8. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Never having been a contract guru, I can't recall the benefit or penalty to the Rockets if he retires. I thought the Rockets held a team option on his final year. How does that come into play? In other words, what are the consequences of not having traded him before the deadline?

9. krayziefl

krayziefl Member

Sura is a guy the Rockets could really use. But hey he tryed thats all he could do.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

At worst Sura's final year where he is guaranteed 1 million is included in the team salary.

11. Cook1ez

Cook1ez Member

Best of wishes to Bobby Sura!:)

12. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I honestly can't recall any other Rocket player who has played on our team for half a season yet be regarded as highly as we regard Sura and be an overwhelming fan favorite.

For that alone shows how special of a player he was for us, and the passion he played with. I swear he almost had a triple double every game.

Goodluck Bobby, you were the man

We need point guard help to back-up Rafer, could you imagine if Sura was healthy? Problem solved just like that

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I miss Sura and am sad he is gone. But he still is an asset to us in the aspect that we still have his 3.8M contract on our cap that we can trade for salary matching purposes. He is only due 1M next year, so it almost is like a Trade Exception. If we didn't have that contract on the books then we wouldn't have a high enough salary on our cap (that isn't in our rotation) that we could use for a trading chip.

Because of Sura's salary, if we wanted, we still could pursue that Mike James deal in the offseason when the Wolves most likely will blow up their roster.

14. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I don't really miss him much. I've grown accustomed to not having him on the court.. he only played for not even a full season--like Realjad said.

He was a very good player to have for chemistry and leadership.. but I never once expected him to come back. I wanted him to just retire before this season started to give an extra roster spot for someone else more deserving (azubuike maybe?).

But I do wish him luck on the rest of his life. He should try to be a commentator for the Rox. Push over that Clyde-the-put-me-to-sleep commentator.

15. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Hopefully, the Rockets will retire Sura's number. It is the right thing to do, Les.

16. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

Are you freaking kidding me?

17. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I got your sarcasm. But if anything.. we can retire that ghey 3-ot sign thing they did during our 04-05 campaign.