1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Supreme Court Kills Class Action Lawsuits Against Corporations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rockets R' Us, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Major

Major Member

I'm not sure sure where you buy your appliances, but I certainly don't sign arbitration agreements with the manufacturer when I do.

2. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Wow ... this court is continuing the process of giving the criminals the keys to the castle. I hope one of those ***** dies real soon.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The companies have to worry about getting sued so them might be less likely to do those things.

4. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

not if they are government sanctioned monopolies.

5. thadeus

Hooray! Keep it up, "conservatives" who support the "free market"!
    [​IMG]

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Because an arbitration agreement is at its heart a contract, and it's hardly a controversial proposition that a court can refuse to enforce a contract for various reasons (illegality, public policy, unconscionability, etc etc etc).

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It is coming due to this decision.

8. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

What this tells me is that the government would rather finance illegitimate economic interventions and illegitimate wars than to finance its legitimate functions.

9. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Even when they do, each one does, they be replaced by similar.

Supreme Court justices are pretty much politicians. They sold their souls to satan like the rest of them (with satan being dressed in the form of corporations). Like all other politicians, they have a price tag, and they were purchased.

10. SamFisher

They'll just add a box that you'll have to click when you purcahse something online. All retailers will do it and you'll basically have no alternative.

Not that it really matters in an individual case, since as the dissent pointed out, it makes no sense to bring a $30 lawsuit -> that's the point of a lot of consumer class actions, to prevent large companies from reaping millions by only minutely f-king a small amount of customers to an extent less than the transaction cost.

11. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Wall Street continues to run the show.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Exactly.

Who the hell has the time or energy to expend on a small claim like that?

You're essentially giving corps carte blanche to test the waters when it comes to screwing people over.

13. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Heck, I don't have the energy to file a claim with a class-action lawsuit when the stuff is sent to me. Just last week I got one for a recent suit regarding babies-r-us. The paperwork said I could be entitled to 20% of the purchase cost for something I purchased back in 2007, provided I could arrange proof I bought it. I don't have the receipt, and I sure as heck am not going to go to the effort of pulling card statements for ~25 bucks.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm involved in two class action suits presently, neither of which would I ever have been able to seek restitution on my own otherwise. (or at the very least, the time+energy expended to get justice would have been greater than my compensation by far)

F*** this court.

15. Major

Major Member

No, it's not. This ruling sucks for a lot of reasons, but it's not going to make you start signing contracts to buy your microwave. There's no need for nonsensical hyperbole to make your case against it.

16. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

Not disagreeing with you, but any contract dispute would be governed by CA state law, where this was suit originated, not the Supreme Court, correct?

And for everyone saying that this stops mass torts, well, mass torts have been hard to do in class action context. Too hard to determine damages fairly. This really has only to do with R23(b)(3) claims, and it doesn't ban class actions.

It's going to take a lot of state courts saying that these contracts of adhesion are unconscionable, etc to make a difference. This is an instance where I wish the Federal bench had more common law powers, but its really not in the tradition.

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And you are reading way more into my post and trying to put words into my mouth as usual.

I never said I liked this ruling, in fact I don't like the heavy use of arbitration in contracts and think that we need to reform that system.

If you reread my post I am pointing out that a thread title "Supreme Court Kills Class Action Lawsuits Against Corporations" is misleading as this ruling doesn't do that. It only addresses class action lawsuits regarding where there is a contract that already stipulates arbitration.

I bought some power tools the other day and didn't have to sign an arbitration agreement.

Anyway that is a related issue but at the moment that isn't the case.

18. thadeus

The last class action lawsuit I got anything from came a long time ago. It was against Verizon and they had to pay me back about $20 from ripping me off for way more than that on a fake surcharge that they kept sticking on my landline payment, even after I called and told them to knock it off. They kept sticking it on there though. Eventually some lawyer took them to court over the issue.

I can't find a good link, but eventually the lawyer made like a million some dollars, about 100 thousand people made 20 dollars or something like that, and you could get it paid to you on your tax return at the end of the year. I don't think it really hurt Verizon all that much. The executives who implemented it really should have just gone to jail for a few months like a shoplifter would.

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Read the above posts. Ok you can just sue for $30.00!!

OK, it is too much work for the corporations to stick a box which consumers will check along with their sginature.

20. SamFisher

Depends on what the choice of law in the contract is, if there are any conflicts, etc...also since they were apparently interpreting the FAA..etc.