1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Supposedly O'Brien had to be restrained from Brock...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

O'Brien did nothing but heap praise on Osweiler at the beginning and say he and Rick both agreed he was the guy.

McNair wanted a better QB here, it didn't have to be Brock.

Only after Brock started to suck that O'Brien started leaking that he never wanted him here

Bennie Anders and justtxyank like this.
  2. Mr. Clutch

O'Brien: Landing Osweiler was 'best move' for Texans

BOCA RATON, Fla. -- The Texans thought enough of Brock Osweiler to pay the former Broncospasser $37 million guaranteed to become Houston's new starter.

While Osweiler shows promise, his big-money deal sparked plenty of speculation about whether he's shown enough after just seven starts to deserve that type of commitment from any NFL team. The Broncos, after all, chose not to match the contract, but Texans coach Bill O'Brien said Sunday that his team has no doubts about Brock.

"We didn't just study the seven games," O'Brien told NFL Network's Steve Wyche on Sunday. "We studied all of the snaps he had. He is tough. He is an accurate passer. I like his leadership. Of all the people who have coached him, everybody spoke highly of him."

Said O'Brien: "We are really happy with our decision to sign him."

The coach then went on to confirm that last year's starter, Brian Hoyer, still has a place as "our backup," but emphasized: "The best move in that position was to go get Brock."

If nothing else, Osweiler landing in Houston turns the AFC South into an interesting division after operating for years as a comprehensive snoozefest. The juicy lineup of young quarterbacks -- Osweiler, Andrew Luck, Blake Bortles and Marcus Mariota -- is enough to suggest plenty of emerging rivalries for seasons to come.

Of all those arms, Osweiler has started the fewest tilts and has the most to prove with all that guaranteed scratch. The Texans, though, don't believe they overreached for his services.

You can catch more of Steve Wyche's interview with Bill O'Brien on Monday's edition of NFL HQ.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ien-landing-osweiler-was-best-move-for-texans

justtxyank likes this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm not arguing he was good. The offense was prettt much ineffective with him at the helm, however, he simply was not an interception machine. You consider him an interception machine and trash yet he was better than osweiler at protecting the football.

I do agree with you though that obrien has great pr. Deflects all blame for everything. Also worth noting that this organization went from being a pretty tight lipped team to leaking like a sieve after obrien got here

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  4. Mr. Clutch

Bill O'Brien Comments on How Brock Osweiler Fits with Texans
    By Mike Norris, Chief Writer Mar 22, 2016

The Houston Texans signed former Denver Broncosquarterback Brock Osweiler to a four-year, $72 million contract in the offseason, and head coach Bill O'Brien gave his thoughts on the 6'7", 240-pound signal-caller on Tuesday.

“We felt like he was a guy that everything that he brought to the table from his command at the line of scrimmage to his skill set as a passer," O'Brien said at the NFL owners meetings, per Deepi Sidhu of the team's official website. "For a big guy—I’m sure you guys know his history, he played basketball—he’s a very, very good athlete. We think he’s a great fit for our offense.”

All these comments were despite the fact that O'Brien officially met Osweiler for the first time at the 25-year-old's introductory press conference, per Sidhu. However, in today's technological world it's easy for coaches to get their hands on game film, and that is exactly what O'Brien and general manager Rick Smith did. After poring through film that included Osweiler's college career, the head coach said two performances stood out, according to Sidhu.

I thought the New England game was one particular game that stood out to me because they were really in coaching lingo, getting after him. They were hitting him and he was delivering the football and getting right back up and calling the next play. One of the main requirements for a quarterback in this league is the ability to stand in there when everything is flying at you and take a hit and deliver the ball.

In the Raider game, Khalil Mack must have hit him, I don’t know, eight to 10 times in that game? He stood in there, delivered the ball. Maybe statistically it wasn’t his best game but to someone who’s been coaching that position for a while and has really studied it, that means a lot to us.

That's all fine and well, but what about how he would fit in the clubhouse? Reports surfaced that the main reason Osweiler did not return to Denver for next season was because he was "upset" that future Hall of Famer Peyton Manning replaced him in Week 17 when he returned from injury, per Yahoo Sports' Charles Robinson.

O'Brien said he vetted Osweiler through those who knew and coached him previously, per Sidhu.

I know there’s a lot of people that have coached him throughout the years that I’ve personally known so I’m sure he spoke to those guys. We spoke to those guys. That was one thing that stood out to me about him was everyone we spoke to, that was either a coach or teammate, couldn’t say enough good things a about this guy. That he was a good leader, a hard worker, a guy that really cared about his teammates, everything we’re looking for in a quarterback. So now, he’s just got to come in here and do it.

Joel Klatt of Fox Sports was not impressed with the quarterback who threw for 1,967 yards, 10 touchdowns and six interceptions in seven games as a starter last year.

Speaking on The Herd with Colin Cowherd last week, Klatt said he would be "skeptical at best" that Osweiler can turn the Texans into a contender, even saying that embattled San Francisco 49ersquarterback Colin Kaepernick would have been a better fit in Denver:

Given the fact Osweiler has started just seven games in his four-year career and his 2.2 interception percentage was the same as Johnny Manziel, according to Pro-Football-Reference.com, the Texans most likely overpaid him.

Considering O'Brien never met Osweiler before offering him the contract, there is a good chance his future in coaching and the quarterback's performance will be linked.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...mments-on-how-brock-osweiler-fits-with-texans

5. Mr. Clutch

Osweiler acquisition began in film room, ended with Texans sparing no expense

The Texans' interest in Denver quarterback Brock Osweiler began in a darkened film room at NRG Stadium and culminated almost two months later in general manager Rick Smith's office. Owner Bob McNair and vice chairman Cal McNair were sitting in Smith's office while he finalized the deal that lured Osweiler from the defending Super Bowl champions with a starting job and a four-year, $72 million contract, including $37 million guaranteed. When Smith hung up the phone with agent Jimmy Sexton, he breathed a sigh of relief, smiled and turned to the McNairs. "Bob and Cal," he said, "we've got ourselves a quarterback."

Smith exchanged congratulatory handshakes with the McNairs, then texted coach Bill O'Brien, who was attending the University of Wisconsin's pro day.

O'Brien and Smith had agreed from the beginning that if there was a chance the Texans could get Osweiler, 25, they would vigorously pursue him.

"Rick did a heck of a job," Bob McNair said. "He said, 'I'm going to get you a quarterback. Regardless as to where he might come from, we're going to get you a quarterback.'

"Originally, we didn't know whether Brock would be available. He could have signed (with Denver) and not been available. We really didn't know, but we were still looking at him and hoping he would be available."

Smith told McNair getting Osweiler to leave the Broncos would cost a lot of money to fill the biggest need on the team. McNair has never let money stand in the way of doing what he thinks will improve his team.

"We had a fair idea as to what the cost would be," McNair said. "But, as with anything, if there's more than one person that wants it, it's probably going to cost you more."

While the Texans began O'Brien's second season 2-5 and finished on a 7-2 run, Smith and members of his personnel department were scouting college quarterbacks and preparing their reports for the coaches, who would check them out after the season.

Brian Gaine, who serves as the director of player personnel, oversees the pro department. Part of his responsibility is to compile scouting reports on players in the last year of their contracts and present them to Smith.

Plenty of film study

After the Texans' 30-0 loss to Kansas City in the playoffs, O'Brien took off a couple of days before returning to the film room. First, he evaluated each of the Texans. Then, he turned to prospective free agents and watched tape before filing his report with Smith.

When O'Brien finished, Osweiler was at the top of his list of quarterbacks.

"We study all these guys," O'Brien said. "We watch their (regular-season) tape (and) their preseason tape. When you threw the tape on from (last season), it was impressive. He played in some very tough games, some very meaningful games.

"It's not easy to be a starting quarterback in this league. It's one of the most difficult things in sports to do. I think we got the right guy."

At the time, though, the consensus among the Texans and every team in the NFL was that Osweiler would re-sign with the Broncos.

The Texans had exhausted their interest in mid-level quarterbacks, nine who played in O'Brien's first two seasons, including seven as starters. Whether through the draft, free agency or even a possible trade, they were determined to get a player they believed could become their franchise quarterback.

Before the scouting combine in late February, Smith brought in his scouts from around the country. They set their draft board. Then, Smith, O'Brien and the assistant coaches reviewed the analysis of each prospective free agent prepared by Gaine and his staff.

Osweiler is the one

They decided how they wanted to attack free agency - what players Smith was going to pursue when the legal tampering period began March 7, two days before the start of the new league year when free agents could sign with other teams.

To make sure they were on the same page, Smith and O'Brien went to the film room and watched hours of tape on the 6-8, 240-pound Osweiler.

"We came out of the film room agreeing that Brock Osweiler was the quarterback to lead us where we want to go," Smith said.

The negotiation game

Sexton has represented players for almost 35 years. He's a shrewd negotiator. The Broncos knew, like any agent, Sexton would try to get every possible dollar for Osweiler.

When Sam Bradford re-signed with Philadelphia for an average of $18 million per year, the market was set.

In his negotiations with Denver, Sexton claimed other teams were interested. The Broncos had to determine if that interest was real during their negotiations to keep Osweiler, who backed up Peyton Manning for four years and was 5-2 as a starter last season.

The Broncos offered Osweiler a three-year contract worth $39 million. With bonuses, it could max out at $45 million.

Smith was willing to pay a lot of money, but he insisted on a four-year contract. Both sides showed flexibility but not on the four-year issue. Smith refused to budge during the all-day sessions and late-night phone calls.

On Tuesday - the day before Osweiler agreed with the Texans - Smith left NRG Stadium at 10 p.m. and got stuck in traffic exiting the concert at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. He and Sexton resumed their conversations.

On Wednesday morning, Sexton spoke with the Broncos for the first time since they made their $39 million offer. They increased their offer to an average of $16.5 million a year, including $30 million guaranteed.

As the Colorado media reported the negotiations and the Broncos increased their offer, there was optimism in Denver that Osweiler would stay.

Competing with Denver

Sexton had told Osweiler to go dark and not return calls, texts or e-mails from the Broncos, including his teammates, until the agent had reached an agreement with one of the teams. Sexton didn't want sentiment to play a role if he could avoid it.

Sexton never gave the Broncos a chance to match the Texans' offer.

Osweiler, a second-round pick in 2012 who made $660,000 last season, signed a contract that averages $18 million, ranking him 16th among the highest-paid quarterbacks in the NFL this year.

"They wanted him in Denver, but Rick hung in there and got the deal consummated," Bob McNair said. "I couldn't be more excited."

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...uisition-began-in-film-room-ended-6886807.php

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is so true. Obrien learned from the northeast how to use the media. He's playing chess with the media and smith is playing connect four

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He started exactly 2 games without an interception while in Houston, against the Pats where he attempted only 22 passes and the Texans were blown out because they never scored a TD and against the Jags who had one of the worst defenses in the NFL. Every other game he started he threw at least one pick and he finished off throwing 4 in one game.

Fast forward one year and he has 5 consecutive starts without an interception, including a game against a 13 win Dallas team where he attempted 49 passes.....I'd say that's progress.

Perhaps saying "interception machine" was over the top given that he did have those 2 games without a pick, but he wasn't a guy that was in any way safe with the ball. You assumed he'd throw at least one pick when he started games.

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Realistically, would he come out and say that "this is not a signing I want. It's McNair and Rick Smith's doing. I'm not on board."

As so often happens, the truth probably falls somewhere in the middle of all this.

9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's funny you said that, because I always thought the same thing. It seemed like they did better somewhere else. When McCain and others gave all the credit to Bob it used to annoy me. The guys on Kilt would say they all got better because of Bob. Maybe so, but I always wondered if it was just because they went to an offense that actually ran better plays. Our run run pass just didn't work for anyone well.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Only a moron would speak out against the move the GM or owner has made.

macho GRANDE, TheFreak and rugg31 like this.
  12. Mr. Clutch

But not before I leak some bad stuff about him!

Nook likes this.
  13. rugg31

rugg31 Member

Hoyer maybe didn't throw any picks in his five starts but let's look at those starts...

Dallas 26th ranked pass defense... 17 points with only 3 in the first half... loss

Detroit 19th ranked pass defense... 17 points... win

Indy 29th ranked pass defense... 23 points... loss

Jax 5th ranked pass defense... 16 points... loss

GB 31st ranked pass defense... 4/11 with 49 yards and 0 points at time of injury... loss

Excluding Jax those were bottom 13 pass defenses and he reached 20 points once. You mentioned his good stats with Houston were due to garbage time and bad defenses. Well? Bad defenses and 14 second half points vs Dallas once down after only 3 points in the first half.

That doesn't mean Hoyer was better away from BOB. It means he didn't throw picks but he also didn't score many points, definitely not enough to win. At best he equaled his time with BOB. The 1-4 record as a starter suggest he was worse. Yes, I know the Bears were a worse team.

14. Mr. Clutch

I think that's true. My guess is Rick initially came up with the idea then Obrien came around.

So he can misleadingly claim he didn't want Brock, which would only be true initially

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That was after the initial reports that surfaced saying obrien was never fully on board.

The rest was spin.

You're choosing to believe one spin but not the other.

TheFreak likes this.
  16. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

I remember there being a ton of leaks in Kubiak's last year. Most of them were throwing Kubiak under the bus. Everyone said Smith was a backstabber back then.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed.

Obrien wants to keep his job. Alienating your owner by not being a team player isn't a way to do that.

There's enough smoke out there to indicate that Brock wasn't "hand-picked" by BOB. It was a group effort/decision that he eventually had to be on board with.

In the end, they all made mistakes... and they all still have a job.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  18. Mr. Clutch

And I still have never seen those initial reports. Only that McNair really wanted a QB

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The tweets were all over the place.

You choose to solely believe the puff pieces above, one published by the Texans themselves.

Nobody should have survived this failed signing. If Obrien was the driving force all along, he would have deservedly been fired.

It was a "group" decision that they all were a part of... and it's clear that any reservations that may have initially been there were most definitely warranted.

Nook and macho GRANDE like this.
  20. raining threes

I would respond to this but nothing would change

Believe what you like and dont believe what BOB said in his season ending PC.