1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Supposedly O'Brien had to be restrained from Brock...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 11, 2017.

1. raining threes

I agree and disagree with this post.

Os was a Bob/Ricky move,

BOB's biggest strength is also his biggest weakness, his quest for perfection and his inability to understand those that dont have that type of personality, or have the same drive.

2. raining threes

Facts are facts, look at the Texans history.

Kubes offense was GREAT on the SB winner.

It was even better last yr.

3. steveng125

steveng125 Member

It's hard to believe bill o Brian is a qb guru when he never played the position. Kubiak understands the position because he played it.

macho GRANDE and RasaqBoi like this.
  4. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't know how you quantify his "quest for perfection". Praising and defending Hoyer and Mallet doesn't sound like quest for perfection. His indecisiveness didn't sound like quest for perfection. I just think he's abrasive when things aren't going well.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  5. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

I think Mallett was just a lottery ticket after he didn't get Garoppolo. The team only gave up a 7th for him.

macho GRANDE and raining threes like this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

On the very first day of the Osweiler signing, there were tweets that this was not a BOB decision.

You don;t need to be a rocket scientist to figure out the source of that info.

In the end, Brock being traded after just one season may be the only thing keeping this dysfunctional front office-coaching tandem together. It's clear that no one person is in charge... but both wield a significant amount of power/pull with what actually happens.

BOB hand-picked Hoyer/Malllet... and got neutered. Smith helped recruit Osweiler, and has essentially been neutered by now trading him.

It's one big grab-bag at this point.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  7. raining threes

LOL

Every one of these QB's were better under BOB than before he got them. They were even better after they left. Fitz said he learned more about the QB position under BOB than any other HC that he played under.

RM was the best QB in the QB competition, McNair wanted Hoyer to start and maybe BOB did too. But if you noticed McNair is the one that said there's more to playing QB than talent. After the 1st qtr of the 1st game BOB replaced Hoyer with Mallett. Then BOB went back to Hoyer after a bogus injury (Concusiion that Mallett said he was OK) and Mallett lost his job and was pissed to the point of being unprofessional.

Ironic that the same concussion thingy happened to Savage with the same results. (McNair's QB played in the playoffs) Difference is Savage handled things professionally.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Do you remember how he talked about him? Especially that first year he benched Fitz for him? Dude loved that guy. Fitz was not playing that badly when he was benched. He actually was the closest thing to being an on-the-field leader O'Brien has ever had; and he got benched for Mallet.

9. raining threes

Didn't address my post

10. raining threes

He was indecisive because he was choosing between a turd with peanuts and a turd without.

You can blame BOB for the QB's he had to choose from, but in his seaon ending PC he said Ricky does FA/Draft.

TheFreak likes this.
  11. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

There is no question about Osweiler playing better in Denver than here but Fitz and Hoyer definitely put up better stats under O'Brien than they had under previous coaches for whatever that is worth. Fitzpatrick in 2012 on Buffalo had 24 td, 16 int, a 60.6 completion percentage, 6.7 yards per pass, and an 83.3 passer rating and in 2013 on Tennessee he had 14 td, 12 int, a 62 completion percentage, 7 yards per pass, and an 82 passer rating. Then under O'Brien he had 17 td, 8 int, a 63.1 completion percentage, 8 yards per pass, and 95.3 passer rating.The Jets year he had 31 td, 15 int, a 59.6 completion percentage, 6.9 yards per pass, and an 88 passer rating. Hoyer in 2014 on Cleveland had 12 td, 13 int, a 55.3 completion percentage, 7.6 yards per pass, and 76.5 passer rating. Then in 2015 on Houston he had 19 td, 7 int, a 60.7 completion percentage, 7.1 yards per pass, and a 91.4 passer rating. In 2016 on Chicago (just 5 starts) he had 6 td, 0 int, a 67 completion percentage, 7.2 yards per pass, and a 98 passer rating. Mallett is just terrible wherever he goes. He had 63.6 passer rating on Houston in 2015 and has had passer ratings of 74.5 and 22.2 in Baltimore.

TheFreak likes this.
  12. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Fitz was extremely up and down prior to his getting benched and only after the benching did he have the huge 5 td game against Tennessee which raised his passer rating from his normal career 80 into the mid 90's. Fitz also had zero upside and Mallett had some along with a big arm. O'Brien probably just wanted to see what he had and to see if it could spark the team a bit. Mallett looked okay in his first game but then was terrible against Cinci and then went out with the pectoral injury. I guess the pectoral injury made his poor accuracy even worse. If O'Brien was so gung ho about Mallett, they would've given up more than a 7th for him. O'Brien's target in the draft was Garoppolo but of course we tried to get cute and New England bent us over. I understand sticking to your board since they and some others had XSF graded as a 1 but in my opinion you get your qb in that situation. But what's done is done.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Osweiler wasn't forced on him, that's pure spin.

It's Obriens own fault he can't scout QBs and is terrible at personnel

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Of course he would say that even though Ricky has always just gotten the guys the coach wants.

There's been a clear difference in the types of guys we've gotten and how we've handled draft picks since Obrien got here

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

OBrien has hated Brock from the start...I think it's out there now that it was purely Bob and Smith going after Osweiler without Obrien having much of a say in the matter. MaD radio has discussed this topic a hundred times with various people in the football world. The one thing that they all agree on is that Obrien was forced to make it work with Osweiler.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

None of this disproves anything I just said.....and part of what you are saying is flat out inaccurate.

Osweiler was better in Denver than in Houston and Mallett never had off the field problems (in the NFL) till he got to Houston and hasn't had them since he left. His new team liked him enough to give him a new contract even.

Trying to give BOB credit for QB's doing better elsewhere is a bit odd, but I guess when you REALLY want to believe it's not the flimsiest thing you could hold on to. In the end the point is that a train wreck of a Jets team got more out of Fitz than BOB could here and a train wreck of a Bears team (at least that's what people say when they are making excuses for Cutler) got more out of Hoyer than BOB could here.

That said, trying to blame any of the mess BOB has made with the QB situation the past few years on McNair is beyond ridiculous.

Bennie Anders likes this.
  17. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I don't blame him... If I would have seen Brock during some of those games last year I would have had to have been restrained to!

But seriously I'm glad he's gone and have no problems with grown men getting at each other

macho GRANDE and raining threes like this.
  18. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Nothing wrong with a coach getting in a players face... if you can't handle that than you're in the wrong sport

macho GRANDE likes this.
  19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

BOB should have beat the crap out of Osweiler several times last year. I'm disappointed he was able to restrain himself

Yaosthirdleg and macho GRANDE like this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Lol at the posts trying to defend the play of Fitz, then Hoyer.

As we all know, if you don't have a really good QB, you are invariably spinning your wheels.

I have no problem in the musical chairs strategy as it was clear every guy he was moving on did not have "it". Sometimes, you just run into a guy... unfortunately that also didnt happen.

macho GRANDE likes this.