1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Supposedly O'Brien had to be restrained from Brock...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

But you're using it to mean there was something wrong with Brock rather than O'Brien.

Maybe there's something wrong with Obrien

Nimo likes this.
  2. Nimo

Nimo Member

If it was appropriate behavior, there wouldn't be any need for restraining...err calming down. And both cases I'm referring to made national news. So did Richard Sherman with assistant coaches. You've heard the phrase "coach loses the locker room"? That's because Easy way to do it is when the coach can't control his emotions with his players and when the players get to the point where they want to get physical with the HEAD coach.

3. Mr. Clutch

Not really the same. Btg thinks mallet and Osweiler are great QBs.

I just think Rick Smith, O'Brien and McNair are mediocre at best

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Kubiak lost the locker room. He wasn't very fiery.

Has it been reported that O'Brien lost the locker room? Honest question. I think there were some rumblings of it at one point last year, but those were also quickly refuted...

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Probably the harshest (and least accurate) accusation ever. Mr. Clutch is a mindless troll, by now everyone should realize that.

Yaosthirdleg and raining threes like this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not yet, but not every player responds well to coaches prone to stupid emotional outbursts. We'll see how it plays out, winning cures all.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'm not saying O'Brien has lost the locker room. I'm just saying that things like these are reported because it might be a hint that it might lead to him losing the locker room. It kinda sounds like the team is protecting themselves by getting rid of the players that have issues with the coach before it becomes a huge problem.

He wasn't fighting with the most popular guy in the locker room lol. If he was fighting with Watt or Hopkins or Clowney, it'd be a different story.

8. Two Sandwiches

Of course he wasn't going after someone like that. He's not that much of an idiot to get into a physical-ish confrontation with the best players on the team.

He's a better coach than that.

raining threes likes this.
  9. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think you give him too much credit

10. raining threes

This team has made it to the playoffs in 3 yrs as many times as Kubiak made them in 8.

Those maroon glasses you're wearing are clouding your vision.

TheFreak likes this.
  11. Two Sandwiches

Maybe. I could see where people would think that way.

He's the most successful coach in franchise history, though. For the lack of talent he's dealt with at the quarterback position, which is obviously the most important on the field, he's gotten results.

I really like the guy as our head coach. I liked Kubiak, but O'Brien is a different beast. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - he's the kind of guy that could coach this team for 20 years.

To me, another thing I've said before, this offseason reeks of O'Brien's demands in wanting more control being met. Something I'm totally fine with. The Osweiler trade. The potentially going after Romo. Not overpaying for Bouye. These are all moved that don't necessarily fit the regimes of past.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  12. Mr. Clutch

Why do you think he's a better coach?

After 3 years of getting his guys, he built the worst offense in the league

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I try to give BOB credit......and then he runs Lamar Miller into the middle of the O line again.

macho GRANDE, Bennie Anders and Nook like this.
  14. Nimo

Nimo Member

And in that time Kubiak has won a super bowl ring as a head coach. I mean...

Not to mention Kubiak was an offensive guy and the offense was pretty good with him.
    O'Brien is an offensive guy and the offense has sucked with him.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  15. T for 3

T for 3 Member

i love when o'brien flips out. seriously it's funny, is it not?

macho GRANDE likes this.
  16. Two Sandwiches

Put a better quarterback on the team and it's at least average. Wait and see next year.

Osweiler was essentially forced into O'Brien. It didn't work out. In a bad way. He's gone. This time McNair will let O'Brien get his guy. The pressure is on. We'll see what our ball coach is made of, and the team will respond well. Mark my words.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  17. Two Sandwiches

Hopefully the playcalling does improve. Maybe that was all Godsey. God, I hope so.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  18. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yeah. But both of us know his success has been mainly because of Romeo's defense. The results he has gotten have been mostly because of the defense. Also think of this, the Texans offense was better before him (even with TJ Yates) and the Nittany Lions won a conference championship after he left.

I don't feel too bad for him regarding the QBs because he has had a hand in picking them.

I don't think he is a bad coach. And it is too early to say anyway. But it is hard to give him too much credit as bad as the offense has been. He is a likable guy and sticks up for his players.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's a good point too. Imagine if RAC and the defense were doing worse. I mean even last season we had times where the defense was slipping and in those games we had no chance because BOB simply can't run an offense with people we know Kubiak could run an offense with.

Going down the list

Fitz was better in NY than in Houston with BOB (career high in TD's the season after he left)
    Hoyer was better in Chicago than in Houston with BOB (never threw a pick with the Bears)
    Mallett never had a problem while with the Pats and Ravens (just signed a new deal there), all sorts of trouble with BOB
    Osweiler was better in Denver than in Houston with BOB

A truly good coach makes his players better and gets the most out of them, so far it seems like BOB gets the least out of every QB

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'm still not buying that Os was not O'Brien's guy in the beginning. Let's not forget that Mallett was O'Brien's guy and it still ended ugly. He pretty much picked RM as the franchise QB and was off. He said the team needed speed and the GM got him the fastest receivers and RBs. The offense is still ugly.

People also forget that Os was decent in Denver; much better than he was in Houston.

I think coach's biggest asset and biggest problem is his personality. When he loves you, he loves you. When he hates you, y'all throwing punches lol.