1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Supposedly O'Brien had to be restrained from Brock...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I agree, but it's been their decisions on OL that matter too. It's not just injuries. Jeff Allen and X have been pretty mediocre.

2. Mr. Clutch

I didn't call those guys "supposed busts" and never had a problem with them. As I have said, the problem is throwing away picks in bad trades and overpaying bad players. Successful franchises don't do that. That's not hindsight.

3. Mr. Clutch

12-4 and 10-6 the prior 2 years. There's no question the team had issues, but it had talent too

justtxyank likes this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They picked XSF. He's been awful. That's their talent evaluation. They missed. Honestly who have they really "hit" on so far? Obrien had this whole new strategy about getting bigger and tougher and faster. Have any of his evaluations worked out really? He got two mediocre years of out of journeymen qbs and one awful year out of one they invested big in, his OLine picks have been tragic (XSF, Jeff Adams, Jeff Allen) his WR picks haven't returned anything so far, and in Fuller's case a lot of that was him just dropping stuff.

Now of course, the over arching theme is that the QB play hasn't been good and yes, that drives the offense down. But HE is who picked each QB. At some point he has to get the offense to take a step forward. I'm not sure how many years you think he should get where we just keep saying "well he didn't believe in any of those QBs" or "injuries."

It's telling that the offensive line needs to be saved by the return from injury of a player he didn't draft or sign as a free agent because the ones he did pick are so bad.

5. Buck Turgidson

I totally agree that they should draft and sign only the good players.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

To be fair, he's an all-world run blocker, but he can't pass protect at all.

7. Mr. Clutch

Lol, what I'm saying is that they need to be more like Morey and Luhnow with picks and signings. They need to stop trading them away for peanuts and stop overpaying guys in free agency. Every team, even the Pats, will pick busts.

Another side of this OL thing is that the depth is awful. Injuries happen and they weren't ready for them.

8. Buck Turgidson

That pisses me off more than anything, I'm a firm believer in building from the OL/DL out.

I grew up with Matthews/Munchak/Steinkuhler/etc...

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

In hindsight I don't think anyone knew about Prescott. Bridgewater, we lost by a spot, he doesn't pop to be savior material. Is garropolo that Gud or is it just the patriot system? (We lost to third string). Sam Bradford is not savior material. In conclusion I feel b.o.b decisions for qbs were bad, there wasn't any savior quality qb except Prescott.

10. Mr. Clutch

I do remember Prescott rising in the draft with a lot of hype.. I'm not saying we should have taken him. I'm saying we should have taken just one of these guys rather than Osweiler.

And I don't think we needed a savior, just someone above average.

11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Idk y Texans can't just keep drafting qb. Most important player on team and we just gambling on signing qbs. Rick smith has no worries just keep drafting qbs. It's sad that Dallas future is brighter than ours, all we have is aging jj watt and Hopkins as our future face.

12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I wholeheartedly agree we should keep drafting until savior qb shows up. We just wasting everyone's prime signing these mediocre qbs

Don't let Hopkins be Andre Johnson part 2

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Stop it. I'm not going to allow the Dak Prescott narrative to be so thoroughly shredded through revision, especially for the sole purpose of trying to retroactively place it at the Texans' feet.

Yeah, he was "rising" - all the way to the 4th round. He was the seventh QB drafted - the *second* in round 4 (and he was the third pick of the round) - and an afterthought by the Cowboys. Here's how much the Cowboys wanted him - they were trying to trade up in the round to draft... Connor Cook. Prescott was their plan C (after Cook and the guy they REALLY wanted, Lynch).

macho GRANDE likes this.
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

#194 zeeshan2, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I do wonder what BOB pays his PR team.

16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

just skimming the thread, but are there actually people trying to defend Brock?
    [​IMG]

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not that I've seen.....but there are some mindless trolls that would have you think that.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But at no point were either of those teams the favorites to win a Super Bowl any time soon. In the end, there's really not much difference between that at 9-7. Also, excuse me if I don't consider potential talent from 6-7 years ago as relevant now.

The goal is to be better than that... and have a complete team that is capable of winning it all. Whether you do that by building the line up and putting any decent QB in the best position to succeed... or you find that perfect QB that makes everybody better.... you have to have certain pieces in place to even be in consideration.

As far as this regime goes, they all felt it would be far easier to build up the line first... rather than do what the 2002 Texans did which is to acquire the QB first. Neither option is fool-proof... and we all know that good lines can sometimes make the difference between a mediocre QB and a great QB. We also know its typically hard to find that perfect QB, and many times teams run into a guy they weren't expecting to excel.

19. justtxyank

I don't think anyone is wasting their time even discussing Brock at this point. The real question being kicked around is whether Obrien was really against the Osweiler signing like his sources are leaking right now.

We'll never know the true answer to that.

20. justtxyank

So we've made no real progress since Kubiak was fired in your opinion, right?

My gut tells me that OBrien is a good coach. He is extremely respected around the league and by (most of) his players. I like how hard his teams play for him.

Beyond that we haven't seen it yet. I'm hoping it comes together. He has an awful lot of arrogance and bully to him for someone that hasn't accomplished much.

macho GRANDE likes this.