1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Superstar Kevin Martin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coachbadlee, Dec 18, 2010.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

You don't have to be a closer to be a superstar. Is Shaq a closer? Is Dwight a closer? Is KG a closer?

KM is a superstar point-getter. He gets you buckets at a rate that is one of the best, if not the best, in the league. He has glaring weaknesses (D, playmaking, closing), but those can be covered up with the right personnel. Since he's paid only half the average superstar, its easier to surround him with high KWAlity guys that compensate for his weaknesses than it is to get a Tmac or Yao Ming then get quality role players who only make less than 3M a year.

2. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

None of them are; none of them are wing players either.

Is Pierce a closer? Is Kobe a closer? Is Melo a closer? is Lebron a closer?

K-Mart is an elite scorer but has too many weak points to be considered a superstar, I do hope we keep him though; he will be deadly when we get a legit superstar on the team.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Do you know why i said Martin was clutch and didn't mention AB? Because this is a Kevin Martin thread. Of course AB was clutch too, but i came to the Superstar Kevin Martin? thread to post about Kevin Martin's clutchness in the past 5 games now. Whether it's from the line or whatever, 2 pts is still 2 pts. Yes, he and AB closed the game together. Thats how it should be.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

^^fixed. I haven't bumped this thread all week. Just so happens, people like posting about Kevin Martin. You know, with him being the leading scorer on the team and all. Go figure.

5. Entropy

Entropy Member

Hoping his knee is fine, and its just a flesh wound. *Cue monty python clip* So fingers crossed that he's fine.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yeah, i just hope it doesn't stiffen up on him too much. We are going to need him against Miami.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Don't look now YaoMac, but KM has been closing out games lately. I don't know why but KM's been improving his game gradually this season. Not only was his D on Wall at the end of the game decent, he also made a great pass to AB for the go-ahead 3 as well as made a 3 of his own. He was pretty clutch today. So I guess we won't just have a 0.631% true shooter, we now have a 0.631%TS CLOSER :cool:

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

he's playing less minutes is why, the guy's issue has always been stamina

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

He played more minutes now than in the Thunder game where people called him a choker.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Last nights 4th quarter was team work at it's finest. Martin and AB picked the Wiz apart when it counted. ;)

11. rocketman5803

rocketman5803 Member

Martin is as "superstar" as RA.

12. BeARocketsFan

BeARocketsFan Member

Uh, no. People saying he's not worth much just because he scores 23 points a game are people who don't appreciate him. People who whine that he doesn't grab 20 rebounds a game or 10 assists are people who are out of their minds.

And, I don't recall anyone in this thread yet saying Martin was a "superstar". He should be an All-star, however. All I've seen here are a few people mentioning his stats and comparing them to other All-stars.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Thank you. You seem to be one of the few who noticed that. Kevin Martin has and continues to keep pace with other more celebrated "all-stars".

14. BeARocketsFan

BeARocketsFan Member

I don't think people understand how Adelman tells Martin to play. Early in the season, Martin was told to try to leak out early, and he did. I think at the time Yao was still playing and Miller and Martin were playing minutes together. That's when Adelman likes a guard to leak out to cherry pick.

However, in the last couple of weeks Martin has been staying around the basket more and thus his rebounds are up. He grabbed 7 last night.

It's not that he can't grab rebounds... (duh)... it's that the coaches want to focus more on the transition game in some games and less in others.

And assists work much the same way. Adelman has always told Martin to be more aggressive and shoot, not pass at various times in the game.

I wonder what games some people are watching and if they have a clue that there's a coaching staff orchestrating the game?

15. Tree-Mac

Tree-Mac Contributing Member

Did I read this right? The CLIPPERS were in the playoffs and made it to the second round?! :eek:

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yep, and the Nuggets lost to them. Forgot about the 4-1 though. Yikes!!

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

To be fair, after Adelmans Sacramento team was broken up, Martin never had the type of players around him to really make any noise. Carmelo did. Every year.

18. BeARocketsFan

BeARocketsFan Member

The knock on T-Mac from early on was that he wasn't clutch in the playoffs. I always thought that was terribly unfair because he was usually on teams without much help.

If it only took 1 star to win, Kobe would have won every year he's played. However, Kobe can't win without Shaq, and now Gasol and others.

Lebron would have won in Cleveland...

19. BeARocketsFan

BeARocketsFan Member

And Adelman was booted out by the idiot Maloofs. Martin had to survive with the premier coaching of Eric Mussleman and Reggie Theus... pathetic.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I know and it sucks. Because of that situation, Martin continues to get no respect from fans for his non appearances in the playofs. Carmelo's team helped him, Martins didn't.